Progress!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Progress!

So today started badly. I was feeling bad, and really frustrated. I was starting to think maybe this IS anxiety, but it feels so real.So as I sat reading several posts both old and new, one piece of advice hit me. "Do not let a doctor dismiss what you know is happening." So, I gathered my things and drove to the GP's office. I told them I needed to be seen. I only waited about 15 minutes. When doc came in (he really is a good guy even though) I told him that I need him to hear me when I say something is wrong with me and has been for years. I rattled it all off even down to, yes, my bedwettimg. He looked at me and said, "I agree, this IS much more than just anxiety." THANK YOU! He then did all the neuro stuff (walk heel to toe etc). I was like a drunk by the way. He sat down and said...now catch this because it is funny..."I want to send you for a MS...uh, I mean MRI. You need to see a neurological."

He then did ask me about any family history of MS although he said there isn't a lot that says genetics play a role. I don't know about that part. Anyway, he was genuinely concerned and insisted we would find answers. Yea me! I am certainly not excited about possible Ms but excited that someone heard me!

That's the way to be an advocate for your self. Take care Dale
    Dale in NC, dx'ed 2000, now SPMS

Comment

Please excuse my typos above. I use a tablet and sometimes it spells the words it thinks I want! Example: neurological obviously should have been neurologist. Thanks for all the support!

Comment

Congratulations on making yourself heard! And especially for getting a positive response (to check further).

When I finally told my GP that I did not want him to dismiss my ongoing and problematic sx off to stress and anxiety, and he still said, "Well, sores on your scalp is a sign of stress." And, he said, "Well, it's not like you're coming in here for something uncomplicated like a cold." And then his vacation coverage doc blatantly told me it was all in my head. Then I started to cry, and he said he would treat me depression.

That's when I knew it was time for a new family doctor. And although no docs in my town are taking new patients, I called in all the contacts and favours from all the people my husband knows in this town to get the highest rated doc to take me and DH both as new patients. Have seen him twice, and it is a world of difference. Yay for me too!
        20+ years of sx - no dx yet - getting close!

Comment

GOOD JOB! You are on your way! Hang in there!
          MS - diagnosed 2/05/2013

Comment

Sometimes, instead of "beating a dead horse," you just have to move on.
            It is better for you.

Comment

That's amazing. I wish every dr was like that. It really does make a difference when they actually listen to you. Good luck with your MRI.
              Diagnosed 1/4/13
              Avonex 1/25/13-11/14, Gilenya 1/22/15

Comment

iteachfirst,

GLAD your doc finally listened to you, and is sending you to a "neurological" (just joking with you, since you made fun of yourself).
                Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

Working...
                X