new and need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new and need help

I will try to keep this short although it goes back at least ten years. I guess the short of it is that I have known for a very long time something is wrong. It has been episodic and varying symptom wise. Rather than giving every detail, I will give an overview. It started with bad leg pain, next came the depression and fatigue. For a while (a few years) those were my main symptoms. Now, I am 42 and whatever this is has grabbed hold of my life. In the last year, the numbness and weakness have appeared. The electric shocks and crawling has become an everyday thing. I have had bouts of vertigo that sent me to the ER. Recently, I had the worst heaviness in my chest and thought I was having a heart attack. Have I told my doctor? Oh yes, but it is nothing they say. So, I have my first neurologist appt coming up. My question is this. How do I get him to listen? Now maybe it is not MS but I need answers. I am a teacher and all this plus the brain fog and anxiety is making it very hard to function.

They are going to ask you when your symptoms started. You need to make a list of:

1. When your symptoms started. They want general dates.
    2. What kind of symptoms they were.
    3. How long the symptoms lasted during that time (each time). They are looking for exacerbations. An exacerbation is when symptoms last >24 hours, and symptoms are continuous, not off and on, and last anywhere from 48 hours to three weeks or more.
    4. Name each of these exacerbations.
    5. Name symptoms that stayed behind after each exacerbation.
    6. Put this all in a concise list so they can keep it if necessary.

They will run the show for the most part. The physical exam is going to be a major part of your appt.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
    Lisa
    Moderation Team
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

Thank you! I wasn't sure about a list because I have done that with my GP and he never looked and seemed annoyed. I have read a little about the physical exam. Not sure how that will go. I do know that an ortopedist told me my gait was too wide causing my joint pain. Apparently, I drag my feet because my family gripes about it. I did try the heel to toe walk. No way can I do that. It is almost comical! Thanks again!

Comment

I have never had a doctor want to see let alone keep a list of my symptoms. From what I've heard and read, some doctors get really irritated if a patient just hands them a list of symptoms or questions. Your GP sounds like one of them. So maybe you should have your list out for yourself so you can go down the items and check them off as you tell things to your doctor and write down the answers to your questions.

And its a good idea to try to ask any other questions that come up during the exam while your still in the office. I see a lot of questions on message boards from people who didn't ask them at the doctor and then post asking what their doctor meant when he said something. Of course no one knows what their doctor meant except their doctor! LOL! Its so easy to get caught up in doing all the tests and then forget that you have to ask questions and get answers too before you leave.

So its a good idea to take a list for you to use for yourself to make sure you cover everything but not to just hand to you doctor because your doctor may not want to look at a list.

Comment

So sorry you have been getting the runaround for so long but unfortunately it is very common. I hope you can get some answers and very soon. Welcome to the board!
          MS - diagnosed 2/05/2013

Comment

Before you see the neurologist:
            Do not go in until you are ready for that diagnosis, whatever it is.

1.Please make sure that you have the maximum disability insurance for yourself, life insurance, and long term care insurance.

It is harder to get the life insurance, and the increased disability and LT care insurance may be almost impossible after an MS diagnosis.

Have PPO insurance all in place. It gives you flexibility as far as choosing doctors and getting medication that you need.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. The one time that I took a list it actually was more just for myself. I find that when I get there I tend to forget things. It is like I want to make sure I mention everything but then I get there and somehow can't remember it all, or sometimes I feel rushed(maybe just my perception). I just want someone to really listen to ALL my symptoms without dismissing me after a few. Does that make sense? I have a lot going on and I think they need to know all of it to make an informed decision as to how to proceed.

Comment

Working...
              X