Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to Limbo Land/ Weird VER Test

Hi everyone,

New to limbo land, and new to the site. 27 yr old female from the east coast. My crazy journey started back in November. I went to a spa for a hydrotherapy tub session. Within 5 minutes, I didn't feel right. It started with some dizziness so I got out of the tub thinking maybe I was just overheated. Well, that didn't help. The dizziness increased, then the vertigo started, and then blurred vision. The spa gave me a cold compress for the back of my neck, but it didn't help. It was like the heat stayed with me and I couldn't cool down. So I took a cold shower. That didn't help. Then the confusion started, and it felt like I could barely walk. Like I had weights in my shoes. The vertigo caused nausea so bad I couldn't keep water down. Went home, took a nap and woke up with all those symptoms plus a headache and pain in my eyes. My boyfriend took me to the ER that night. They diagnosed me with a migraine. Gave me a bunch of meds including steroids in an IV and sent me home. The only test they did in the ER was a blood test.

Since then, i've had similar episodes on and off. Including episodes of tunneling vision. My general practitioner urged me to see a neurologist. Saw two, who both diagnosed me with a migraines without running a single test! I told my general practitioner again and she told me to seek another opinion. I'm on my third neurologist now, who believes that this could be MS and wants to test for it using VER, MRI w/ contrast and a blood test.

I had the VER done this morning and it's left me kind of scared. When they tested the left eye, my vision blurred. It started far from the center of my eye until it tunneled until my entire vision was blurry. I told the tech because I was scared and she promptly stopped the test and said we were done. Asked me to close my eyes for a couple minutes. It took awhile, but my vision went back to normal. I think at that point, the tech could tell I was nervous because she said "it looks ok, but the neurologist needs to see it" and asked me when I was getting my MRI done. I was told the test would take 30 minutes, but I was only in there for 10.

I guess my question is- is that normal?

And also- Hi to all of you. Hope everyone is having a good day!

Hi: Your symptoms sound like MS, but your VER/VEP symptoms sound more like your eye was strained/stressed on that side. In optic neuritis, which is what that tests for, your vision doesn't usually get blurry and then clear up that quickly over a pattern reversal VEP. It happens more in heat. And even then it take a good while to clear up.

As for the MRI, an MS protocol MRI for just the brain takes generally about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Did they even give you contrast? The stuff in your IV? If not, no big deal, lesions can show up without contrast. However, 10 minutes is a short sequence of pictures. Are you sure it was only 10 minutes?

Good luck and welcome to MS World
    Lisa
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

Thanks for the response! It'll be an MRI with contrast. I'm sure it was 10 minutes. I marked the time I went into the room and the time I got back out to the waiting room. I used the clock on my cell phone.

Comment

Wait, so you are talking about the MRI being 10 minutes right? Or are you talking about something else?
        Tysabri

Comment

Sorry! the VER was 10 minutes. I was told that the MRI could take up to 2 hours.

Comment

OK, good, that makes me feel better. Good luck with the MRI and keep us posted.

Lisa
            Tysabri

Comment

After the MRI comes the lumbar puncture.

One thing at a time.
              Do you have disability insurance paid up at your work?
              Apply now before you discover what you have.
              You may need disability it the future if this is M.S.
              Do not go for the diagnosis until you are ready for the diagnosis insurance-wise.

Good Luck.
              Hugs.

Comment

Ok that does make more sense. My mri took almost two hours and was brain and orbits without contrast and then with contrast.

Comment

[QUOTE=sillymama0408;1394785]Hi everyone,

I had the VER done this morning and it's left me kind of scared. When they tested the left eye, my vision blurred. It started far from the center of my eye until it tunneled until my entire vision was blurry.................. I was only in there for 10. /QUOTE]

Hi Silly... I had a similar but slightly different eye problem when I was in HS. Vision tunneled a bit blurry wise and wondered if I could make it to my next class. It cleared up mostly before that class ended and I was glad it did. IT was very scarey for a bit, but I did not bother telling about it,did OT want to see a doc.

I have also since been told it was not/could not be MS, but MS is a weird beast and I personally suspect its WAS MS related and its just a rare type of thing. (I also had other MS sx also in HS)

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

Originally posted by suziq38 View Post
                    After the MRI comes the lumbar puncture.

One thing at a time.
                    Do you have disability insurance paid up at your work?
                    Apply now before you discover what you have.
                    You may need disability it the future if this is M.S.
                    Do not go for the diagnosis until you are ready for the diagnosis insurance-wise.

Good Luck.
                    Hugs.
                    Thanks SuziQ. I do have disability insurance with work. I've actually been on short term disability since the first episode in November. Is there anything I should make sure of?

My neuro never mentioned anything about a lumbar puncture. Is that usually the next step?

Comment

Working...
                    X