Other reasons for "MS Hug" symptoms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other reasons for "MS Hug" symptoms?

Starting a couple of years ago one of my newer symptoms (which I finally told a doctor about recently when it got worse) has been a tight squeezing sensation around the middle of my body and it makes me feel out of breath.

I remember it starting a couple of summers ago and I thought it was just fatigue from doing gardening in the heat. It gradually became more often - and worse, and about a year ago I kept taking antacids thinking it was some type of stomach issue. I had also chalked it up to anxiety at times.. even if I wasn't feeling anxious about anything in particular.

More recently (like within the last year) it got to the point where I've been waking up with it.. waking up gasping for breath. So I started paying attention to when it happens and what might be causing it.
    I do notice that if I do too much physically or get overtired it will happen, and also if I get overheated. Sometimes it goes away within hours but if it's really bad it can last for days and even be sort of painful - besides the pressure feeling.

The last time I had a really bad time of this was a few months ago and I called my dr. office and told a nurse what I was experiencing. She put me on hold to talk to the dr. and when she got back on the phone she told me to go to the ER. I explained that this is common for me - but just worse at that time, but she insisted that I be seen. So.... I went to the ER (feeling kind of foolish) and of course there was nothing wrong with my heart or lungs. And they did not think it was anxiety either.
    They thought it sounded muscular and did a neurological exam - which was normal except for nystagmus (also common for me) and encouraged me to keep following up with neurology and testing, etc.

Well, fast forward a few months later and here I am today. I was supposed to have MRI's of my spine on Monday but they got cancelled because my insurance won't authorize them. Apparently state insurance won't cover it unless I have extremely disabling symptoms which can be proven.
    I know that the MS "hug" can be caused if someone has a spinal lesion. But since I can't get my spine looked at to see if that is what's causing it, I am trying to figure out what else it could possibly be. When it gets bad it causes me to lose sleep, and even when it's mild it is still annoying and tiring!
    My PCD doctor thought maybe I had Costochondritis which is an inflammation of rib cartilage, but I looked up the symptoms for that and it doesn't match what I experience. When people have that, it typically hurts to take a deep breath or to push on the chest or ribs. Mine is more like a squeezing pressure - and sometimes I will try pushing around my ribcage to try and relax the muscles.. and that does *not* cause pain.
    It feels similar to when I had asthma when I had a very bad case of bronchitis. I even had a pulmonary function test recently - and of course it was normal!

Some of my symptoms are driving me nuts, they seem to be getting worse over the years, and yet I'm being told it's all from being hit on the head when I was a little girl 3 decades ago??!!
    I can see a "post-concussive syndrome" causing my dizziness, balance and cognitive/memory issues - which all come and go randomly.
    But how on earth would that explain the other stuff like bladder spasms (Urologist said it was nervous system related), severe neck pain and headaches which started only a few years ago, and this bizarre squeezing thing?

And I PROMISE you I am not just imagining all this stuff because I read this forum. I didn't read about this stuff until very recently.. but have been having problems for at least well over a decade.

Hi,

I've had similar thing too. Way before my other symptoms, I would get it too (approx 3years ago) I comes 2-3 a year. It starts at the back and wraps it's way around to the front, it feels like a boa constrictor is squeezing me soooo tight. The more I move the tighter it gets. I used to sit right in front of a fire place to try and ease my muscles...I also used to try and take a few muscle relaxers..the only thing that helped was to sleep it off. I always chucked it up to catching a cold breeze up my back and that my muscles just cramped up...it's from my belly up to top of rib cage.
    I never told the docs until recently. Not even the MS doc! But when I went to another neuro because I was having weird eye issues, he said that it's probably not muscular but it needs to last at least 24hours...

I know it's hard to wait...no one has answers...my last neuro told me that all my issues individually are not too serious..but group them all up and he's raising his eyebrow.

Try and keep strong. I've come to the conclusion that I'm not too bad right now..continue to live healthy...and if it is MS then eventually my body will give them enough evidence.

Take care!

Minnie76

Comment

Hi I do not know what it is,

Although the term "MS hug" is used quite a bit the currect medical term is dysesthesias and not only refers to the 'hug' but other abnormal sensations. If you do a search for "dysesthesias" you will find other causes.
      Diagnosed 1984
      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

thank you Minnie

Hi,

Thanks for the encouragement!
        I'm trying not to allow myself to feel crazy. About a week ago I decided to try posting in a traumatic brain injury forum since I've spent so many years being told that must be what I have (after each time I go through another round of testing for very real problems).
        Nobody posted a reply to my story there. Not even one.

Minnie, I share your attitude about taking the best care possible and then eventually our bodies will present the symptoms. I've been doing that for years and sometimes I am ok with it. Other times I get frustrated because of the inability to keep jobs and I often feel ashamed.

Anyway, re: the "hug"... it took me a long time to tell anyone about it too. I kept trying to ignore it until it became obvious to me that it's not a simple anxiety thing. It's happening a lot over the past year or so and if I have a day where I do too much and/or get overheated I can pretty much expect that I will be waking up at night feeling like I'm being crushed. And then it carries into the next day and it's exhausting.

Comment

re: snoopy's reply

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
          Hi I do not know what it is,

Although the term "MS hug" is used quite a bit the currect medical term is dysesthesias and not only refers to the 'hug' but other abnormal sensations. If you do a search for "dysesthesias" you will find other causes.

I googled causes of dysesthesias and saw that it's often caused by lesions or malfunctions in the nervous system, vitamin deficiencies, diabetes and many other diseases. Sometimes extreme chronic anxiety can cause them too but it seems like it's usually more likely to have a physical cause.

Comment

You are not alone! I have the hug and it sometimes turns into a suspender-like area of extreme tightness accompanied by burning sensations.

My hug is from MS lesions but I bet there are other things that could contribute. Maybe ask a physical therapist? MY PT was one of the wonderful people that helped me put together the puzzle of my symptoms and give me some direction. They see it all...

Comment

re: newbie but goodie

Originally posted by newbie but goodie View Post
              You are not alone! I have the hug and it sometimes turns into a suspender-like area of extreme tightness accompanied by burning sensations.

My hug is from MS lesions but I bet there are other things that could contribute. Maybe ask a physical therapist? MY PT was one of the wonderful people that helped me put together the puzzle of my symptoms and give me some direction. They see it all...

I had a physical therapist for some neck and shoulder issues for a while but seem to be "done" for now. He gave me exercises which fixed the shoulder issue (for now) but was not sure what to do for the neck spasms.
              He knew I was in the process of being tested by a neurologist and I remember him explaining to my boyfriend that if an issue is nervous system related (he unplugged an electrical cord to make his point) then there isn't anything that can be done to fix it long term.. cause it's a bad electrical connection, and it will come back.

That was depressing.
              And I was supposed to have spine MRI's on Monday but my insurance refuses to pay for them. So I probably will continue to get no diagnosis.. and keep wondering if I might just be crazy with all the weird symptoms I have which have little or no explanation and are severely impacting my life.
              (yes I am feeling kind of bitter now - and guilty about that cause I know it could be a lot worse)

Comment

Working...
              X