Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recently Diagnosed

Hello MS World,

I am so happy to have found this forum. I feel like no one else around me really understands what I've been through the past two months. I ran a 5k on November 10th, 2012 and a few days later starting having severe spasms on the left side of my body. After weeks of no relief my GP requested that an MRI of my brain be done.

There was no question about it....it was definitely MS. Then it all made sense....the numbness and tingling, the inability to focus at work, the excruciating headaches. I just turned 26 at the end of November and all of this has been very overwhelming for me. I go back to my neurologist later this week to decide on a treatment. She has recommended Copaxone but I'm not very comfortable with the thought of giving myself injections. Ahhh...overwhelmed.

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

Dear Overwhelmed..

Welcome to MS world sasha, just sorry for the reason/circumstances that brought you here.

Your feelings are NORMA
    L, and you will most likely be going thru the grieving process, yes everyone does that, also normal. Be patient with yourself, things will get better and you will learn to adapt and accept.

Your quick, and I do mean quick venture from Sx to Dx is unusual. Many of us go for years not knowing the WHY behind the Sx,and in my case it was decades.

Shots are not that bad, just don't become a diabetic, Lots more shots per day....ha ha. I do know the feeling, I started giving myself shots decades ago for my diabetes and my Rx calls for 5-6 insulin shots every day. I still remember my first insulin shot. It does get easier with time and experience.

I chose Copaxone due to fewer side effects and its good track record. The Copaxone needle is smaller than my first insulin needles. Both are simple easy to do SC injections. A MS nurse normally comes out to you home and gives personal instructions/training to you (and family member etc) on giving yourself the shots.

You have to choose & do what YOU are most comfortable with.

Merry Christmas

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot
    ==
    ==

.-...#

Comment

Well, you know there are about 6 approved meds as DMD's.
      Copaxone is a once daily injectable, and so forth. The medical establishment is very proud of themselves for this 'grand' achievement. It took 150 years to do that. I hope that you use this site to assist you in your decision. If you don't take advantage of the current crop of drugs, you need to look into doing the right thing through diet. It's obvious that you know about running, but that doesn't mean that you have made the correct dieting decisions.
      I wish the best of luck in whatever you choose to do to treat this disease. Please do not ignore it or ignore the treatments. Get on some type of program asap. Good luck

Comment

Thank you both for your responses. Yes, it was a very quick Dx. I don't understand why it's taking so many people with all the symptoms to be diagnosed. I'm pretty sure the only reason that I was diagnosed so quickly was due to the fact that I had so many lesions on my brain already.

I'm praying and am challenging all who believe in the power of prayer to join me each day in praying for a cure for this disease.

My God > MS

Comment

Sasha09: My MRI was had plenty of lesions by the time I had mine done as well too. I was dx quickly as well after 4 years of symptoms without an MRI (some of that was my fault).

Now you can move forward with treatment like the rest of us.

If it is Copaxone you choose, that is a good one to start with. I took it for a long time. Loved it.

Whatever it is you choose to go with I hope it works well for you.

Take care
          Lisa
          Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
          SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
          Tysabri

Comment

Working...
          X