Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@ MS Newbies Lounge, Dec 02 '12

Welcome to .......Newbies Lounge
    a special haven for our family of newbies Dx'd w/MS in recent days or years and old-timers that are newbies at
    heart, or just want to help. Just follow the green arrow to our Newbies Lounge.

Being a newbie can be just as scary and lonely as being in limbo. I know because I have been there and done that.
    When I first got my formal MS dx, I felt lost, alone and tossed into a sea of hungry sharks.

Remember we are your MS family away from family. The BIG question answered means many more new questions and decisions.
    we Live MS and we understand MS.

Take a well deserved break from your travels on the MSuper highway,(exit Rest Area 51) pull into a nice cozy shady parking spot, Unwind in our (always perfect weather) Newbies Lounge, pitch a tent or just lay out a blanket and enjoy the crisp cool fresh air. Help yourself to fresh Cider and donuts. The camp fire is roaring in the open pit ready for hot dogs, marshmallows and smore's Feel free to share your ideas, experiences and support to your fellow newbies. Relax, you are among friends, friends that understand. We have a virtual soap box, feel free to vent anytime.

Remember this is YOUR lounge
    , so enjoy it, hey doc's have their own lounge and this one is OURS! (We have better fresher coffee anyway...ha ha.)

PLEASE.... Let US know how YOU, a member of our MS newbies family is doing.

Have a QUESTION? Please don't be shy........
    The only dumb stupid question........is the one NOT asked.
    How was your Week?........

Any Dr.apts tests etc coming up?

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot
    .==
    ==

.....#
    Att Moderator: the above replaces Nov 25 as current sticky thread, thanks.

Further research.

I meant this to be just a small reminder note. But I don't seem to be able to do that. I want to be of help and support to all of us and it keeps turning into a teaching session. This pertains to mostly men but their are things that women need to know about some effects on your body, emotions, moods and questionable things going on in your body. So knowing that proceed as you wish.

You may have read my previous posts re. Testosterone and suicidal thoughts. I had found out that the Vit. D. I was taking to post-pone my relapses drove my testosterone to really high levels. As long as there is a physical output this is a great way to beat the fatigue and for me to prolong my remissions and decrease the bad stuff associated with relapses. Testosterone gives you energy. That is how I built my 12'X12' raised garden this past summer. It was an output for all that new energy.

Now that it's fall I have dropped my physical output so I have all this testosterone and no where to use it. (It probably would be OK if I was one who loved exercise but I'm not.) This is where my problem arose.

Testosterone is hormone of energy as one of it many bodily uses. Men and women both have testosterone. (T.) Men have more. Us MSer men and (older) men (me) have our own version of (hot flashes). We have fluctuating T levels hence all those ads on TV for products to "boost" our low T. levels. T requires a physical output...how to say this delicately...umm... romantic output or work such as exercise. Many men use bodybuilding and increase in muscle mass as their output. My garden was my output.

Now that fall/winter has arrived my output is nil and my T level is high. I am not really into exercise or bodybuilding. So I am left with all this wonderful energy going nowhere.
    That is what drove me to get cranky, irritable, depressed and eventually having my suicidal thinking. I began to search out ways to lower my T without losing the great effect of keeping my relapses at bay or minimized. I researched all of the Vitamins that I was taking for my relapse/fatigue.

I found out all but one increases T. I was on a regimen of Fish oil, Vit. B-12, Alpha Lipoic acid and L-Carnitine. They all increase T. So after my research I lowered...(They were advised by my Neuro but not prescribed.) my vits. to lower my T but had to make some decisions here too. Vit. B-12 has very minimal ability to raise T and even that is questionable so I decided to keep it. Fish oil does raise T but its positive effects on brain cell repair, protection from heart disease and cancer - I felt the good outweighed the bad so I kept it.

I will be meeting with my Neuro today to discuss lowering the others two and to make them aware of the side effects I am experiencing and the reason that at my next lab test my levels will be lower. I will also tell them that I will probably be having an increase in my MS symptoms since I am presently in a relapse.

I was so surprised and amazed at how many of my Vitamins were driving my T. With my fluctuating own T levels...well when my personal T surged and all that extra T plus the drop in my physical and "romantic" activity I must have gone over the top which led to my negative emotions and outlets.

After all of this...I just wanted to say...you to research your medications and vitamins on-line and be a pro-active MSer. You need to know what you are taking and be aware of the side-effects. TALK with your Neuro about your emotions and what may be side effects.

Some people are afraid to talk with their Docs. What you need to know that YOU hired them just like you would hire a plumber. If the job is not being done right you need to be pro-active and talk with them about improving your quality of life especially us MSers.

You need to be part of you condition and your ("hired help")... your Docs and your Neuro need to know all that that is happening in you and to you.

Take car of you.
    Dave
    "Journeyman"

Comment

Talks too much.

Where is everybody? I hope I have not driven you all away with my teaching sessions. I'll make this one brief. Pleas come back.
      Dave
      "Journeyman"

Comment

Working...
      X