Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm all confuzzled...

Hi everyone,

I am here to introduce myself. My name is Kirsty, I'm 25 and I am a student nurse in my final year!

Basically I am here because I have had some strange things going on and my G.P has casually mentioned MS, now I know what MS is as I have nursed a few people with MS, whom I must say have always been the most pleasant patients.

Anyway can I offload to you guys? And tell you whats been going on?

I'll assume that's a yes... Basically it started a couple of weeks ago in my right leg I had the feeling in it that you get when the blood starts returning after having a dead leg and tingling/pins and needles and weakness. It didn't get better... I started to trip over myself alot at work like my right leg wouldnt pick up properly and my short term memory was particularly awful. Like I would forget what someone told two minutes previously.

Now I dont have a great memory but this was pretty bad I initially thought I'm a trainee nurse on a busy ward its just stress. Then I started feeling dizzy and on one occassion I felty like I had low blood sugar (you know when u get the shakes) and I was shaking all over and I collapsed. The dizziness got worse,

This happened all last week, that day (thursday) I told my G.P and she said she would refer me to a neurologist asap. Then on Friday afternoon I started getting terrible spasms in my right foot they would come every ten minutes and my toes would bend in ways I did not think possible! it was so painful (not quite on par with childbirth but very painful lol) I went to out of hours GP on saturday as I couldnt take the pain anymore and they prescribed baclofen.

I took that and it calmed down and due to the horrible side effects of baclofen I stopped taking them on the monday and much to my relief the spasms had stopped completely. I have never experienced anything like it.

Now my dizziness has completely disappeared along with the spasms and tingling etc but I have been left with what feels like a weak right leg with the odd tingles and now weakness in my arm. It seems silly but I think did that happen? Did I imagine it?Am I going mad?

As it stands I have a neurology appt on 5th nov and have been told by my g.p the neurologist will probably want an MRI. So part of me thinks do I still go my symptoms are better and I dont want to waste his/her time if this was just a one off.

Some advice would be very much appreciated.

Kirsty xx

FOR SURE GO

You need to go and bring a list of the symptoms you had and are still having.
    1. When you first had the first symptom.
    2. How long it lasted.
    3. What if anything made it better or worse.
    4. When a new symptom started.
    5. Which symptom lasted.

You have some serious symptoms there that can be explained by MS, or vitamin deficiency or another cause, however, they need to be looked into. Because of your age, MS is considered.

Absolutely keep your appointment. You are not wasting their time. Just keep your symptom dates written down so you can show them to the neurologist. They will examine you, and decide if you need an MRI.

Good luck and I hope for the best for you.

Lisa
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

Hi nurse2b!

I so understand! I didn't want to report my initial symptoms either. I didn't want to seem as though I were making a mountain out of a molehill, so to speak.

I would go through periods of time when I would wonder if I had imagined it all. Well, this Spring a lot of symptoms hit at the same time and I decided I'd better say something, especially after my right leg gave out on me and I almost fell down the stairs in front of my daughter. She insisted I get checked out. So, while I still don't know for sure what is wrong with me, my neurologist is leaning toward MS. I have two brain lesions and diplopia. My Ophthalmologist believes my issues are neurological.

There is a lot of testing to go through, yet it is necessary so you can get the correct diagnosis. Something is definitely going on and MS or not, imho you should go ahead and see a neurologist said get blood work and testing done. Also, your episode will be properly documented.

One piece of advice... do get copies of all written reports as well as discs of any scans done. My current neurologist found an additional lesion that wasn't noted by the Radiologist.

Best of luck!

Hugs,
      Minnie

Comment

Thanks for your kind words and great advice. I am sorry that we have to meet here but happy we have Sorry for delay in reply I have been in hospital, I had terrible upper left abdominal pain. It felt like spasms it was awful I felt sick and dizzy too and was horrendous. I had tingling in my feet and hands too. My bloods were normal along with my chest and abdominal xray so doc suspected it was gastroentiritis but thought it was strange that I did not have sickness or diarrohea (sorry for spelling) paracetamol and codiene helped the pain and I self discharged myself as the doctor didnt know what was wrong and I didnt feel like I was getting anywhere. The day afer the pain stopped and I feel better now. I dont know if this is connected with all my other 'neuro' stuff and whether its worth mentioning to my neurologist. in the UK if we attend a hospital out of the area (which this was) then its not automatically documented in our notes that the neurologist sees. Feeling so fed up and really want to know whats wrong with me.Sorry I am just having a moan xx

Comment

forgot to mention too that when I fell asleep whilst this was all going on I kept waking up with hiccups! Which has never happened to me and most bizarre!
          x

Comment

Oh My!

That sounds so frightening! I'm glad you are feeling better, yet I understand your frustration that you don't know what it was that happened.

It is the same in the US as far as the records go. If you have seen my thread about eye issues, it has taken weeks to get a report sent to my neurologist. I was about to just go back and ask for another copy when my poor vehicle decided that after 12 years it needs care other than oil changes, tires, and brakes This of course means only one vehicle for our family for now as it will be fairly expensive to repair. I'm sorry, I digress!

My point was it is so difficult to get all medical personnel in our lives to communicate with each other, and we as patients have to spend time calling around and even driving to get things done ourselves.

Take care and have a lovely weekend,

Minnie

Comment

Working...
            X