spasticity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

spasticity

Can someone please explain to me spasticity. I have stiffness and spasms that are getting more frequent and i was wondering what the definition of spasticity was. My legs and neck spasms are getting worse. I already take neurontin for nerve pain. Ultram for pain. I have other sx but the stiffness and spasms are having me ask to up my appt with my neuro.

Thanks
    STR

sadly welcome to my world.

muscle spasm can vary from coming and with a stretch going away, to what are called contractures, some of mine having taken 3+ weeks of physical therapy to get to unlock.

No one can answer why i have mine. Can be caused by nerve damage, certain vitamin and mineral defficiencies, spinal issues, disorder processes like cerebral palsy, brain damage after injury or stroke, medication including antispasmotics doing their opposite on your body and more. Lack of sleep and higher than normal stressors can kick in into high gear, as can having a better day and over doing.

Call and get on your neuro's cancellation list, let them know this has increased, this is most likely your best line to get immediate help.

(self helps i use include stretching, magnesium oil sprayed on my skin, epsom salt foot baths, a homemade organic herbal massage oil concoction of nervine and anti spasmotic herbs, yet still I have issues that are escalating to the point where some days are a 100 percent wash out of pain.)

I so wish you well! Please post back to say how you are doing. You are not alone.
    hugs,
    ~ Flow
    Share the chocolate and no one has to thumb wrestle for it.
    Besides, chasing you down isn't an option, my bubble wrap suit isn't built for speed.

Comment

I have severe spasticity caused by lesions in my brainstem.
      A good explanation from the MS society follows:

There are two types of severe MS-related spasticity:

1. Flexor Spasticity:

In flexor spasticity, mostly involving the hamstrings (muscles on the back of the upper leg), and hip flexors (muscles at the top of the upper thigh), the hips and knees are bent and difficult to straighten.

2. Extensor Spacticity:

In extensor spasticity, involving the quadriceps and adductors (muscles on the front and inside of the upper leg), the hips and knees remain straight with the legs very close together or crossed over at the ankles.

Spasticity may be aggravated by sudden movements or position changes, extremes of temperature, humidity, or infections, and can even be triggered by tight clothing.

For me, I have trouble straightening my legs. They are bent at the knee sort of permanently. My physical therapist stretches them and I roll them on a foam roller. I also have spacticty in my hands and my fingers are permanently in a fist position. My PT again stretches them...I try to to keep them from becoming contractures.

I also take a ton of baclofen.

This is what spasticity is in MS.
      Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
      SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
      Tysabri

Comment

Working...
      X