No lesions found now what????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No lesions found now what????

I got my results from my brain and thoracic MRI without contrast. Both were negative for demylating disease. I should be happy but I'm not. I have every symptom of MS and now feel the dx and treatment will be delayed. I guess LP is next. Anyone ever have this happen and then get a positive dx?

I Do Understand

I have a feeling that my results are the same since my neurologist is sending a letter and there is no follow up.

As for me, I am going to get a copy of the written report and see what it says. If there are lesions at all then I will seek another neuro. If not, then I believe for now I will deal as best as I can. I personally don't see any benefit in an LP if I don't have any lesions. I am scared to death of having one.

I have read of people who were diagnosed based on LP and symptoms alone, but from what I gather that doesn't happen very often.

I also, IMHO, believe we should keep an open mind. A lot of things have the same symptoms as MS. If we do have it, the lesions will show eventually. Maybe I don't have as much fight as I should. These tests are expensive, though.

I guess it just depends on how far you are willing to go. Others probably have more insight as to whether an LP will be of benefit. As for me, right now, no lesions, no LP!

Best of luck in finding answers,

Minnie

Comment

Originally posted by Luvmydogs53 View Post
      I got my results from my brain and thoracic MRI without contrast. Both were negative for demylating disease. I should be happy but I'm not. I have every symptom of MS and now feel the dx and treatment will be delayed. I guess LP is next. Anyone ever have this happen and then get a positive dx?
      I am in the same situation. My brain and thoracic MRI came back clear except for some white spots in my brain which aren't typical of MS. My spinal tap is tomorrow morning. I'm hoping for answers sooner rather than later. I specifically asked my Neuro if he could make the diagnosis on my symptoms and a positive spinal tap alone. He said yes. He also mentioned an MRI on my lower spine as an option if the SP is clear.

If my spinal tap comes back clear, I still plan to pursue answers, whether it is MS or not. My symptoms are comparatively mild but I don't want to get worse waiting for lesions or other evidence to show up. With any disease, the earlier treatment starts, the better!

I hope you get answers soon. I understand the frustration.

Comment

All of these posts talk about MRI's and LP's. tese aren't the only diagnostic tools. there is the Visual Evoked response and others. There is also a full blood work up, including vitamin D, B-12 and hormones. Don't give up so soon. I would like nothing more than to hear you all find out that you can correct your problems. Good luck and get those blood work ups

Comment

Originally posted by JerryD View Post
          All of these posts talk about MRI's and LP's. tese aren't the only diagnostic tools. there is the Visual Evoked response and others. There is also a full blood work up, including vitamin D, B-12 and hormones. Don't give up so soon. I would like nothing more than to hear you all find out that you can correct your problems. Good luck and get those blood work ups
          Thank you Jerry for the encouragement and reminder. I've had lots of bloodwork. All negative except for low vitamin D (10) and low white and red blood counts. I'm scheduled to see a hematologist for follow-up on bloodwork. Another piece to the puzzle. I haven't had any of the nerve conduction tests yet.

Anne

Comment

I too got my results today, I am 33, with 1 1/2 yrs of extensive testing not really knowing what's going on. No lesions apparently, but the exhaustion I feel mid-day, well there are no words for it, I could and sometimes do cry. I hurt from head to toe, have had numbness on my entire left side, get stabbing pain randomly in my cheek and jawbone and suffer from excruciating migraines for which I take 100mg of Topamax daily and even that doesn't totally keep them away. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I live in the Port Sydney area, which is about an hour and twenty minutes north of Barrie.

Comment

Huggins, just wanted to say "hi" to you, a fellow Ontario resident! I don't have any suggestions that you haven't already thought of but if you continue feeling horrible, don't give up. You know your body better than anyone, I know that nobody wants MS, other than for having a disease/condition name with a treatment plan to start feeling better.

I had my first ON in Jan, 2003 and no lesions, no MS but come Sept, 2005 it was a whole different story, which included MS. In hindsight, I kind of knew something was festering but just felt "a bit off".

I hope you get some answers, it must be extremely frustrating especially in this Province where 6 months is an acceptable amount of time to wait for a neuro appt.

Jen
              RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
              "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Working...
              X