Is it the heat or an exacerbation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it the heat or an exacerbation?

How do you tell if your sx are getting worse because of the heat or if it's an exacerbation? I live in the Northeast and all summer the temp has been from the 80s to the 90s and the humidity has been as high as 96%. The neuro has said that if the sx last for more than week or two to call him. Well, it's been at least two weeks and getting worse, but so has the heat and humidity. Even worse, we are leaving for vacation at the beach on Saturday. Part of me wants to tell my husband to take the kids and go without me but that seems like giving up. On the other hand, I don't want to spend the whole time sitting in hotel room. Has anyone found a way to tell if the problem is heat or MS related?

ive found that the heat makes my symptoms worse

Comment

Heat can cause a Pseudo-Exacerbation, these are self limiting. In the case of heat: once you cool down, such as taking a cool shower, the symptoms will go back to what is normal for you.

If you are able to bring your core body temp. down and not feel better it would probably be a good idea to see your neuro. It is possible for heat to cause a true exacerbation.

To be considered a true exacerbation symptoms need to be continous, with no improvement, for over 48 hours. Symptoms that come and go are just part of dealing with this disease.
      Diagnosed 1984
      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

when i know im going to be in the heat i freeze wet washcloths and keep them in a cooler and it really helps.
        Katie
        dx rrms: 2/12
        copaxone 3/12 - current
        dx pcos 6/13
        gluten free, sugar free, dairy free = feeling great!

Comment

Cooling vest

When I remember I am going to look into the cooling vest offered by the MSAA
          techie
          Another pirated saying:
          Half of life is if.
          When today is bad, tomorrow is generally a better day.
          Dogs Rule!

Comment

Here's a podcast to help you figure it out.
            http://www.everydayhealth.com/multip...nscript-1.aspx

This is an excellent guide to exacerbations.
            https://www.virginiamason.org/workfi...acerbation.pdf

I try to post these from time to time, but I do wish they could be sticky or if someone likes them, please comment and repost. There are always new people here.

Comment

Working...
            X