Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could I have MS after a negative brain MRI?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could I have MS after a negative brain MRI?

This will be a bit long so I apologize in advance..

Three months ago, I started having severe episodes of fatigue. At the time, I thought it was because of my birth control pills so I stopped taking them. Fatigue stayed the same.

Shortly after, I came down with a sudden decrease in vision (blurring) and an awful headache that lasted 7 full days. My doctor (who was idiot) ordered a CT without contrast. Said he didn't see anything and referred me to an opthamologist.

The opthamologist checked my eyes and immediately told me that I had obvious nerve damage in my eye (paling of disc; swollen optic nerve) and told me he was fairly sure I had optic neuritis. I was then referred to a neurologist.

Neurologist confirmed DX of Optic Neuritis. My right eye/side of head hurt all the time. He ordered an MRI w/ contrast. This also came back normal. But he noted I had several other symptoms of MS including fatigue, numbness in hands, face, limbs, frequent urinary issues as well as a constant tremor in my hands. He then suggested a lumbar puncture. I decided not to do it because I was very scared of it (thanks to an awful experience with a previous epidural). Since my MRI was "free" of plaques and my eye seeming to be on the mend, I just let it go.

But recently, I've started to have odd symptoms again. When I get hot, my vision goes very blurry. I have trouble focusing. Then today, I decided to take a hot bath. After I got out, I had terrible muscle weakness, my limbs felt stiff and heavy and I could barely move. It scared me. I talked to my sister (who is just starting med school @ Emory) and she said I could in fact have plaques on my spinal cord since that area wasn't included in the MRI. And that you can still have MS without a positive brain MRI.

Is she right? Should I go back to the neuro or is this all just a coincidence ? I know this post is long but any perspective from other MS patients would be helpful.I always thought you had to have plaques on the brain to be DX with MS.

Background Info--25 year old female. Mother of two. Healthy (other than these issues)..have 1 Aunt with MS and another with Lupus. Have family history of thyroid disease but I have been cleared of that.

Your sister is correct iksmommy. It would be a good idea to see the neuro again and have repeat MRIs.

I was diagnosed a very long time ago and at that time I had a clear brain MRI, my lumbar puncture was positive and I received a definte diagnosis of MS.

When following a patient who is suspected of MS it is not uncommon to do repeat MRIs every 6 months to a year. This allows the neuro to check if there are any changes.

The MRI is a large part of the diagnostic criteria for MS (McDonald Criteria) and it is difficult to receive a diagnosis of MS if you do not have any testing that points to MS.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Originally posted by lksmommy View Post
      This will be a bit long so I apologize in advance..

Three months ago, I started having severe episodes of fatigue. At the time, I thought it was because of my birth control pills so I stopped taking them. Fatigue stayed the same.

Shortly after, I came down with a sudden decrease in vision (blurring) and an awful headache that lasted 7 full days. My doctor (who was idiot) ordered a CT without contrast. Said he didn't see anything and referred me to an opthamologist.

The opthamologist checked my eyes and immediately told me that I had obvious nerve damage in my eye (paling of disc; swollen optic nerve) and told me he was fairly sure I had optic neuritis. I was then referred to a neurologist.

Neurologist confirmed DX of Optic Neuritis. My right eye/side of head hurt all the time. He ordered an MRI w/ contrast. This also came back normal. But he noted I had several other symptoms of MS including fatigue, numbness in hands, face, limbs, frequent urinary issues as well as a constant tremor in my hands. He then suggested a lumbar puncture. I decided not to do it because I was very scared of it (thanks to an awful experience with a previous epidural). Since my MRI was "free" of plaques and my eye seeming to be on the mend, I just let it go.

But recently, I've started to have odd symptoms again. When I get hot, my vision goes very blurry. I have trouble focusing. Then today, I decided to take a hot bath. After I got out, I had terrible muscle weakness, my limbs felt stiff and heavy and I could barely move. It scared me. I talked to my sister (who is just starting med school @ Emory) and she said I could in fact have plaques on my spinal cord since that area wasn't included in the MRI. And that you can still have MS without a positive brain MRI.

Is she right? Should I go back to the neuro or is this all just a coincidence ? I know this post is long but any perspective from other MS patients would be helpful.I always thought you had to have plaques on the brain to be DX with MS.

Background Info--25 year old female. Mother of two. Healthy (other than these issues)..have 1 Aunt with MS and another with Lupus. Have family history of thyroid disease but I have been cleared of that.
      Your recurrent problems after hot bath with your sight are classic Uhthoffs syndrom, which occurs often in optic neuritis patients. You can google it.

Ask your neurologist for a Visual Evoked Potential, and BAER, as well as SEEP. These evoked potentials can aid in a diagnosis. I would also go ahead with the LP. Since you have a family history, I do too, it is more likely that you could have MS.

These tests will aid in the McDonald criteria.

Best of luck.
      Feel better.
      Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
      SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
      Tysabri

Comment

I would tend to agree with he other posts in that you did not get a complete work-up, therefor you have many unanswered questions. The McDonald criteria contains the elemnts fo diagnosing this disease. And you should see a reputable neurologist, and ask him about it. Then, s/he will know you expect a complete exam, not just pieces.
        I did not have a LP but I had 3 or 4 MRI's that were used for my diagnosis. There were also several 'evoked response' tests that I took. I would never believe a diagnosis without knowing that 'all' of the tests were given to me. And while you are doing tests, maybe your doctor should order vitamin D and B-12 levels. Good luck

Comment

Working...
        X