Got into my neuro doc early

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got into my neuro doc early

So as I was getting the family ready to go to our family reunion family camp-out this weekend. I get a call Thursday at 2pm.

It was the Neuro office saying they had someone just call and say they couldn't come in, and they wanted to know if I could be there in 45mins... OH yes I can!!!! Good thing I live in a tiny town!! Jumped in the shower and headed out!

He was nice, asked lots of questions, asked what my symptoms were, and preggo's and stuff like that as I have 4 living kids and stuff. He watched me walk, feeling in my feet ( I hate my feet touched!!! ) Felt my shoulders and that made me have spasms and he was like ohhh not good. felt my back and had me close my eyes and touch my nose one at a time with my little finger... Didn't hit my nose one time lol Oh well!

He said well your other doctor, thought that it might be MS from what you told her. I think it could be MS also. So lets get going on the tests!!!

Whoooooo!!! So not what I thought was going to be said!!!

So I have a brain MRI with and without dye on Aug 13th, I also have an MRI of my spine with and without dye on the 13th too!

I have an EEG on the Aug 22nd. Then I have another test that I can't remember what he called it.. but the paperwork he gave me says Brain-stem auditory evoked response.

He said then after all that, then he would be a spinal tap/LP I hate them!! I told him I always get a really bad migraine and he said he would just a patch right away then.

Then I have an appointment with him Oct 16th to talk about all the test's! At least he is doing the MRI's I really thought that he wouldn't and just push all this off as nothing!

I have all the test's before I was to have my first appointment with him!! Whoooo!!! I am very happy!!

Now I just have to remember that he could say it's not MS even tho I feel it is, and some does my Aunt that has MS. He didn't need to do any more blood-work at this time he said, because my other doctor already do so much.

Again I don't care what it is, I just want to know "what" I have so that I can deal with it and poss get on some med's that will help me feel better.!!

I did forget to take some of my med's while I was camping, and man I am sore today!! It didn't help that it was 82 all night in the house and 84 outside all night!! I can't wait until hubby gets home to help clean out our small pop up pool and fill it so we can get in Tuesday!!!

So because I had to do soooo much at the family reunion I am not doing much today and it's soooo hot all ready!! I am making list's like hubby said as to what needs to get done this week! Telling and asking the older kids to do things for me, and the lil ones too. I am going to be drinking my tea and mint water and praying I get a nap today!!!
    Fighting the MonStor, and the Beast of Depression.
    A fake smile can hide a Millon tearS

WoW!

What more can I say?

Congrats on getting in so fast and such a positive appointment to boot.

Best wishes,

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

previous thread?

Did you have a previous thread? I`d be curious to hear your original story!

Comment

Originally posted by Oceangirl4 View Post
        Did you have a previous thread? I`d be curious to hear your original story!
        I went to the doctor 3 months ago, and told my doctor about some pain I was having. She thought I had Fibro, but the med's weren't helping, and my pain wasn't in the right places so she said. She ran a load of blood-work, that all came fine.

I came back 2 months later, with a list of troubles I had been having that would come and go and I went clear back 06. I did this because I have an Aunt that has MS and had been talking with her about how I was feeling. I also did that because I really wanted to know what was going on with my body. 6 weeks of being so tried it was even hard to talk to the bathroom, hard to walk and stuff just wasn't ok with me, seeing that I have 4 kids to take care of, 17, 13, 6 and 4.

When I gave my doctor the list and ask if it could be MS, she said yes it could be and so off she sent me to the Nero doc. My appointment wasn't for 3 months, but they called me the other day to come in because someone else couldn't make there appointment. Then we are back up to my post..... I was really surprised that he sent me right to MRI's and stuff... From everything I read on here of people having to wait and wait and stuff, I really thought he wouldn't do anything.

Comment

Doing a crainial and spinal MRI on the same day can be a bit much. Figure the crainial will take 45 minutes, the spinal usually takes a LOT longer.
          If you're new to MRIs, you could try practicing for your time in the tube. What I do is place some cushions on a hard floor, one for my head and a couple that go under my knees. Then, just lay there. It sounds easy but be beware. It can be bleeping tough to lay perfectly still for an hour or more.

BTW, DO NOT fall asleep. If you ever want to see an angry MRI tech, fall asleep during a scan. When we sleep we move around. Use your tube time to think up lists for shopping, birhtdays, holidays, etc.

I should also mention claustraphobia. If you can crawl or slide under a bed with no problems, you should be fine. If you think it could be an issue, you really want to let someone know prior to your appt. They can sedate you if needed (ie, shaking hands with Prince Vallium) but you'll also need a ride home.

Galladium (contrast) dye. This is pretty standard for folks with MS. Just be aware that they'll run a normal scan without dye and then they'll poke you with a needle in the arm for the contrast run. You shouldn't feel any effects from the dye (I tend to get a metallic taste in my mouth and that's about it) but be aware that you want to get rid of that stuff ASAP. Plan on drinking a LOT of water (or whatever makes you whizz) after your MRI. Don't mess around with this part, the dye can be harmful to organs like the kidneys and liver.

One last thing, MRI time is expensive and popular. Plan on getting there early, do what the techs tell you, get into a groove as soon as you can so they can do their job.

Good luck, may your nose not itch.

Comment

and the day of my MRI's just got A LOT longer!! I now have my Brainstem auditory evoked response test at 9am before my MRI's that are at 12:30 Aug 13th, and then my EEG on the 22nd of Aug.

But then again I don't see my nero doc again until the 16th of Oct... I think he thought it would take a little longer to get all the test's done maybe... don't know.. oh well

Yes I am not really worried about the MRI other than the not moving part. I have tremors in my hands, and I sometimes have jerks in my limbs that I can't control. So they are just going to have to deal with them.

Comment

Originally posted by MtnHigh View Post
              and the day of my MRI's just got A LOT longer!! I now have my Brainstem auditory evoked response test at 9am before my MRI's that are at 12:30 Aug 13th, and then my EEG on the 22nd of Aug.

But then again I don't see my nero doc again until the 16th of Oct... I think he thought it would take a little longer to get all the test's done maybe... don't know.. oh well

Yes I am not really worried about the MRI other than the not moving part. I have tremors in my hands, and I sometimes have jerks in my limbs that I can't control. So they are just going to have to deal with them.
              Hi:
              Don't worry about the little myoclonic jerks in the MRI. Just don't move your head or raise your arms up. They need to make sure your head is in the same position throughout the whole study. Some places actually give you music to listen to...others only bad earplugs. Either way, try to relax and nap if you can. It is a long study to rule-out MS. 45 minutes for head at least if not more. Mine have lasted up to 1 hour and 15 minutes. I get them every 6 months now on Tysabri.

The brainstem auditory responses are simple, you just lie there and listen to pings in headphones. You don't have to do anything. The worst part is having to wait for them to place the EEG probes on your head and make your hair a hot mess. Bring a hat for after those tests. This test will pick up on any subtle brain stem lesion that may not be seen on MRI yet.

I am glad you are getting answers. Obviously your neurologist saw something on your exam. They can tell by physical exam in most cases if you have CNS issues or at least they suspect you might. That is why so many people do not get testing right away. If their physical exam does not show signs of central nervous system damage, they are waiting longer.

Good luck and I hope you find some answers.

(MS for 8 years)
              Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
              SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
              Tysabri

Comment

Wellllll, I'm not sure I agree.
                OP says she's also getting a spinal scan and those are the worst due to the amount of time they take (figure on 2 hours).
                Just to repeat some of my last post, you REALLY don't want to fall asleep during one of the longer (spinal) scans. It makes the techs grumpy when that happens and they have to repeat a scan (time really is money when you're talking about an MRI machine). Just find something to keep your mind occupied or try practicing before you ride the tube. It really does help and makes it easier to find a truelly comfortable position before the marathon starts.

You'll also have to hold a panic button in one of your hands and figure out a truelly comfortable way to hang onto it. I'm not sure what the panic button really does, the techs will be pretty close by anyway. Maybe it lights the christmas tree at the White House?

Comment

I don't think I will have to worry about falling asleep... that's really hard for me to do in bed with all the right stuff, no less in a tube lol. No my hubby he "would" fall asleep! lol

Weill have to try lying still on the floor for a long time, not sure I can get under my bed, but I might just test it.. well as long as there is someone here that can pull me out if I get stuck!! I can just see it now my 6 and 4 year old trying to pull me out by my feet!!!

I don't want to make them upset, I am sure I know at least one of them if not more, because my MIL works at the hospital!! It will be hard for someone I don't know being there. I do want to do it right the first time, so guess I will start laying on the floor, without moving or falling asleep.

Thank you all for all the advice, just one of the reason's I love this place. Guess if I know the songs we are going to sing for the next Sunday I can.... well that's not a good idea, I move to much singing lol... well shopping and do to list's will be what I think about, seeing that school starts soon, and all 4 of my kids will be in school. Well the 4 year old will be in part time, but at least I will get mornings alone now.

Well I should be getting to bed! Not that I will sleep, it's hot outside still. I did put tinfoil up on the windows to help keep the sun out. So it's not as bad as it was last night.

Be safe tonight everyone!

Comment

MONDAY!! Is coming so fast!!!

Oh my I thought I had another week to get ready for the MRI's and the Brainstem auditory evoked response was NEXT Monday... NOPE.... it's THIS MONDAY!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I am a little wigging-out!!! Two hours for the Spinal is what they said when they called, and at least a hour for the brain one is what they said too... 3 or more hours is what they said!!! Oh my!! Hope I don't have to pee!!! Sorry trying to make light of things.

I so want answers....... Any answers as to what is going on with my body!

I am sure that Sunday night is not going to be restful!

Comment

Originally posted by MtnHigh View Post
                      :Hope I don't have to pee!!! Sorry trying to make light of things.
                      Trust me, an itchy nose is worse.

You'll be fine.

Comment

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Nooooooooo

itchy anything and nose would be really really bad!!!

LOL

Comment

Working...
                        X