starting limbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

starting limbo

Hello - I'm new to this board and new to even thinking about MS. I am having strange symptoms and both my psychologist and GP are thinking MS, so I am just beginning the testing process. My GP has ordered an MRI for next week. I should mention that I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in 2007. I will be 50yrs old this month.

My symptoms include: extreme fatigue and exhaustion, infernal itching, cognitive problems - especially driving, some dizziness, heaviness in arms/legs, tingling in hands, eyes burning and weird focus, problems with hot weather, balance while dressing, neck "sticks". Does any of this sound like MS? I'm hoping it all is related to the fibro.

What should I be asking my doctor? Does an MRI always confirm MS? Thanks so much for taking a look at my post.

Hi Ada, and Welcome.

There are lots other here who are more qualified than me to answer your questions, but at least I can point you in the right direction.

First you go to the Neurologist and he gives you an exam, testing your reflexes, balance and other things there in the office, as well as taking your symptoms and medical history.

If he finds some abnormal things in your clinical exam, he'll probably send you for an MRI. I don't think many Neuro's will diagnose without an MRI these days.

He'll probably send you for some blood tests to rule out the diseases that can mimic MS.

You can google "McDonald Criteria" which is the criteria that they use to diagnose MS.

An MRI doesn't always confirm MS, unfortunately, because the McDonald Criteria says that you have to show lesion activity that is disseminated in time and space. Sometimes that takes some time to show.

I'm sure someone else can help fill in the gaps, but I just wanted to say 'hey' and welcome.
    "Man's importunity is God's opportunity. He uses our problems as building material for his miracles." ~Corrie Ten Boom

Comment

Originally posted by adajoy View Post
      Hello - I'm new to this board and new to even thinking about MS. I am having strange symptoms and both my psychologist and GP are thinking MS, so I am just beginning the testing process. My GP has ordered an MRI for next week. I should mention that I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in 2007. I will be 50yrs old this month.

My symptoms include: extreme fatigue and exhaustion, infernal itching, cognitive problems - especially driving, some dizziness, heaviness in arms/legs, tingling in hands, eyes burning and weird focus, problems with hot weather, balance while dressing, neck "sticks". Does any of this sound like MS? I'm hoping it all is related to the fibro.

What should I be asking my doctor? Does an MRI always confirm MS? Thanks so much for taking a look at my post.
      I am a nurse with MS for 8 years. It took a while for them to diagnose me, but they did it finally with an MRI, so you are getting the right testing done. At 50, if your symptoms are new, you should show lesions if it is MS. It is uncommon, but not unheard of to get late onset MS. Usually, people are just not diagnosed, but have had it for a while so that when they are diagnosed after say the age of 45, their MRI does show definite lesions consistent with MS if that is in fact what you have (RE: McDonald criteria).
      Tingling can happen for a variety of reasons, add dizziness, and cognitive symptoms and you start to think about a CNS problem. Your doctors are doing the right thing. After your MRI, I am sure the next step will be a neurology visit no matter the outcome of the test as the symptoms can also be due to a number of vitamin deficiencies and other diseases as well. Hope that didn't overwhelm you. Good luck and hang in there!
      Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
      SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
      Tysabri

Comment

Working...
      X