Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did my Neurologist diagnose me without telling me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did my Neurologist diagnose me without telling me?

Hello everyone, I have told my "story" a couple times on here, I have more or less the same MS symptoms as everyone else as here. I have had one MRI so far before my first neurologist appointment and the results of that was clear- no lesions. Since then I went to my first neurologist appointment. I told him all my symptoms and history and he checked my reflexes shined a light in my eyes and said that it could possibly be MS and scheduled me for a slew of new testing including a new MRI tomorrow of my head and neck with and without contrast.

Now to the weird part, at my hospital (all of my doctors work through the same hospital) you can check your medical chart online. I was checking my chart making sure I have the correct appointment time for tomorrow and as I was going through everything I saw that my neurologist listed MS as a DIAGNOSIS. How could he do that? He only told me that was a possibility, not a daignosis. Im so confused now. Has anyone else had this happen?

Just a Guess...

I went to my first neuro appointment this morning. My daughter, who works for a hospital in insurance, went with me. The neuro didn't say a whole lot, but did order MRI and MRA. After the appointment, my daughter helped me with my online account.

One of the diagnoses was CNS - Demyelination (sp) NOS. She explained that it is a code for insurance purposes to justify the testing. Now please, don't take this as fact for your case, I am just sharing what happened to me because I was surprised to see that information when he hadn't shared that with me at all.

Best of luck,
    Minnie

Comment

Insurance purposes?

So you think my doctor just recorded that as a diagnosis for insurance purposes so they will cover more of the testing? But then what happens when or if they find out I dont have it? Can they remove that diagnosis. I dont want that to stay there in my medical record if I dont actually have it bc then it will be deemed a pre-existing condition if I ever change my insurance. I just didnt know they wrote down diagnosis's without officially having them yet.

Comment

Sometimes doctors need to list a WORKING Dx for paperwork.

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

I wouldn't read much into doctor shorthand notes. It could me anything... most likely that they're trying to diagnose MS.

I wouldn't worry too much about the long term consequences yet. If it isn't MS, you can deal with cleaning up the file.

When I was going through tests, I would go in for an MRI and they'd say "oh, you have MS!?" and I'd respond "I don't know! That's what you're gonna tell me!". To the nurses taking me to the MRI, what I was about to have done didn't matter whether I had MS because the scans were the same.

You're just nervous and we all make mountains out of molehills when we're nervous. You need this MRI to have a firm diagnosis but it probably just mean probable MS!
          Symptoms Oct 2009, Dx Feb 2010. betaseron 2/10-2/12. Copaxone 3/12- present.

Comment

Gomer Said It Better Than I

Working Diagnosis is it. Then, depending on what they find it can change, or not. I guess I didn't put it very well, but the way my daughter explained it, they have to have a reason to justify the tests, and that diagnosis (I had three) means that is what they are testing for.

Hugs,

Minnie

Comment

Working...
            X