I have been set free

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been set free

For those of you who have been following my story I thought I would give an update...

I have been sorta diagnosed.

Doc says he still thinks the lesions on my brain were caused by a one-time infection. I have lesions on my brain, none in my spine and my spinal fluid was negative for O-Bands. He said I will have these symptoms the rest of my life, but that he doesn't think it's progressive so he is calling it 'Benign MS'.

Here is what my 6 Month Comparison MRI said:

"Approximately 10 punctate FLAIR hyperintensities in the cerebral white matter compatible with the clinical diagnosis of multiple sclerosis. Comparison is difficult because of the small size of the lesions. Possibly two new lesions since the previous examination, but a few lesions visible on prior exam are not seen on the current exam. No enhancing lesions."

The way the Doc explained the number count being different is that they are so small they are hard to count, and sometimes you get different 'slices' with the MRI.

My cognitive testing was 'normal' for the most part. After a 30 minute interview, and a T/F test (MMPI) the Psychologist (Psychiatrist?) who is now apparently an 'expert' on my 'personality' deemed me to be perfectionistic which leads to anxiety.

...at least that's the way I understood what my Neuro said about it.

I guess I'll have to wait until I get the hard copy of the results to completely understand the importance of that profoundness, but right now, I can only surmise that it had some impact on whether some of my symptoms are valid or not.

The Neuro said that the rest of the cognitive testing (memory, etc.) was good, and not consistent with someone who has MS. (Why am I still having problems?)

So...he set me free. I will only see him again if I have some glaring symptom (I guess, like an arm falling off or something, Shashi )

I am actually okay with this...kinda. It makes me feel less like I am in limbo (which I hate). I don't want to keep having to pay $1,000 deductible (plus the 20 % that the insurance doesn't cover) for an MRI.

I've also been thinking about it, and I don't really want to go on DMD's either, given the article I read recently about DMD's not stopping progression of the disease, and also I don't really want to go on expensive meds that will make me feel worse than I already do.

My Neuro is smart, and thorough. I think he did a good job of ruling everything else out, and was meticulous about making sure he didn't misdiagnose me. He listened to me and treated me with respect. I have confidence in him and I trust him.

If my arm or leg falls off in the future, well HEY...it's just progression. if I had known it was going to be progressive, I wouldn't have done anything differently than I am doing now (i.e. no meds, better diet, exercise).

I'm excited about working with my diet and supplements. (I have cut out grains, legumes, sugar and dairy...similar to Dr. Wahl's diet) and I have started pushing myself to walk for exercise. Even when I am so fatigued I don't think I can do it, I'm finding that I ALWAYS feel better on the days that I make myself.

So...that's it in a nutshell. I'll still be hanging around from time to time. Y'all are awesome here!
    "Man's importunity is God's opportunity. He uses our problems as building material for his miracles." ~Corrie Ten Boom

If its any consolation... When I do too much, my walking is limited (use a chair part-time) I am wiped out & DOWN for a spell. It can take a or even days for me to recover, I think(??) that typical of MS.

IN fact at P/T evaluation for a power chair she told me my trying to walk as much as I was, was making my limited walking worse by over working my muscles. Kinda 180 from the norm or non-MS world.

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

Hi Gomer. I'm feeling blessed, that's for sure. I'm sorry you are having to deal with an aggressive form of MS. I wasn't trying to rub it in anyone's face.

My legs usually feel numb after I take a walk, they hurt, and they are almost always stiff, but I don't think they feel worse after exercise. My outlook, and the fatigue are definitely helped by it. I don't know why the fatigue would be better for exercising, but it is...for me.

I wasn't trying to say that everyone should go out and exercise. I have been given that 'suggestion' by people who *don't* understand, during times where twern't no way in hell I could have gone out to do it...the fatigue was that bad.

I'm having a pretty good day today, okay? I guess I'm feeling optimistic. Now tomorrow...someone may have to peel me off the floor. Tomorrow...I might have to reach UP to scrape the bottom of the barrel. I'm going to enjoy today for today.
      "Man's importunity is God's opportunity. He uses our problems as building material for his miracles." ~Corrie Ten Boom

Comment

No need to feel sorry for me C-mama.

I have had this MS thingy going back to at least since I was 14 and permanent MS diplopia since I was 18, I am in my 60s now. Never thought I would make it to 40, let alone 50 or 65!

I one respect I suffer more MS complications now, especially the past 5 years, on the other hand I now KNOW WHY I had those problems in the past. Many decades of unconnected dots got connected and I am able to FIGHT my MonSter as well as my long running battle w the Dragon (diabetes)

May you have many, many more good days.

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

Happy for you!

Hey, C-mama, good for you! I have appreciated your posts and hope you stay on the boards and check in.

While I am happy for your dr report, I am even more happy for the obvious peace you have received....probably more from a responsive doctor than the report itself.

I agree with so much you say...AND, if they can't put a label on it, AND, they can't provide you a cure... Then, it is on with your life! A day at a time...a season at a time...a chapter....

Here's to a great summer for you....enjoy the longer evenings, and know you have been a great support to many...you are a great example...and, be sure to keep us informed ....ya got friends out here........

Comment

Thank you, Gomer. That is exactly how I feel...like dots have been connected for some mysterious symptoms I've had for a long time, and I now have some sort of 'closure'. You're right. I now know what I am fighting.

You are an inspiration. I can't even begin to imagine what it must've been like to be dealing with those major life-altering symptoms for so long. I'm glad you are around. You are important and your contribution here on this board is noted and appreciated. Thank you for your comments.

New Normal, thank you for your kind words and encouragement. I feel the same way about your posts.

Yes, I feel peace. You hit the nail on the head. I am absolutely going to hang around.

Thank you for reaching out to me, NN. You've been an encouragement to me, also.

I don't often reply to many things on this board, but I read much of what is posted here by everyone and it has helped me through some tough times. I definitely plan to stick around.

Comment

Working...
            X