Lesion question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lesion question

I encountered another MS'er ut in the world yesterday and we chatted about all the fun things we have in common Lol. She gave me this horrified look, though, when I said I have over a dozen lesions. She said she only had three and hopefully wouldn't get as "bad off" as I would. Ugggh I guess people with MS aren't imune to making stupid hurtful comments.

Is progression, disability, relapse, etc related to # of lesions? I swear, since that convo I can actually feel every little (and no-so-little) spot in my spine and brain.

Originally posted by newbie but goodie View Post
    I encountered another MS'er ut in the world yesterday and we chatted about all the fun things we have in common Lol. She gave me this horrified look, though, when I said I have over a dozen lesions. She said she only had three and hopefully wouldn't get as "bad off" as I would. Ugggh I guess people with MS aren't imune to making stupid hurtful comments.

Is progression, disability, relapse, etc related to # of lesions? I swear, since that convo I can actually feel every little (and no-so-little) spot in my spine and brain.
    You have asked a loaded question. I am going to answer as a nurse and an MSer. Not all lesions are created equal. Some lesions are in spots that create none or little disability, while some create great disability. It is more about location than number. Brainstem and cord are sensitive areas that cause disability, obviously optic nerve lesions.

People can carry quite a few lesions juxtacortically and have fewer side effects. Lesions in the cerebellum may have more side effects. So, in short, it is not the number, it is the location. If you are doing pretty well, don't worry about the number for now.

Talk with your neurologist about the specific location of your lesions and their effects or potential effects. EVERYONE'S MS IS DIFFERENT. Good luck and sorry you had to join the club.
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

Working...
    X