No DX yet, but trying to figure this out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No DX yet, but trying to figure this out

My name is Lisa (sorry to disappoint - it isn't really Isis, lol).

I'm 42, divorced, two children (ages 12 and 19).

I haven't been diagnosed with anything yet, but am starting the process of trying to figure out what is wrong with me.

My symptoms:
    *Trigeminal neuralgia (on/off for about 8 years - thankfully, it isn't happening on a regular basis)
    *Migraine with visual aura (17 years)
    *Fatigue - just can't get enough sleep - always tired
    *Bouts of blurred vision, especially in the morning, and eye pain
    *Sometimes I feel sort of cross-eyed, like I can't control my eyes
    *BAD vertigo - this is probably my most bothersome symptom so far
    *Itching - especially at night - keeps me up sometimes, and I sleep alone so I don't bother my SO all night
    *Ear fullness and jaw pain
    *Balance issues
    *Hot face without flushing
    *Myoclonic jerks - worse at night, but I have them during the day too

The last MRI I had was 17 years ago, when I was diagnosed with migraine. Something showed up on that MRI, so they had me come back the next day for another one. Whatever the spot was, it didn't show up on the second MRI. It could have been a shadow; who knows.

I've had vertigo bouts for years. The worst bout so far was after I had a hysterectomy two years ago. I couldn't walk on my own for two days. I went to the ER, and they thought I had a blood clot in my lung. Thankfully, they were wrong. They never determined the cause of the vertigo (no scans of my head were done, though).

I've been diagnosed with vestibular neuritis before, but the treatment didn't help.

I saw an ENT yesterday, and there isn't anything wrong with my ears - no congestion, no fluid - nothing - he did three tests and they were all normal.

I'm going back to the ENT for more tests - I'm having a VNG/ENG test, allergy tests, and a CT scan of my sinuses. He also is having me do blood work for certain antibodies, etc.

I have an appointment with a neurologist scheduled for Sept 11. That's a long way off, but that's the first available appointment with this doctor, and he's supposed to be the best neurologist in this area.

I've been treated for sinus problems and vestibular neuritis in the past, and the treatment never helps...

At this point, I am wondering if I am better off asking my general practitioner for an MRI first instead of going through all of these other tests (I do not have allergy symptoms - no sneezing, etc - so I think the allergy tests might be a waste of time). If the MRI doesn't show anything abnormal, then I'd be open to doing the other tests. I'll have to call my GP to ask about that tomorrow.

I had a scary episode last week while I was at work. I was talking with a client, and when I stood up to leave the room my right leg sort of gave out on me...it was like I couldn't control it...I ended up falling into the wall in front of me. I tried to sit back down and was falling all over the place. My client helped me sit down. I waited a few minutes and tried to get up again...same thing happened.

I thought maybe I had a mini-stroke, but who knows...
    My blood pressure is always normal, I'm a healthy weight, I exercise regularly, and take good care of myself.

Anyway, I have no idea if this is MS, but I suspect it...time will tell I suppose...

Great forum here - everyone seems very supportive.

Hi Lisa,

Welcome to MSWorld. I'm sorry you are having so many problems, but I'm glad you found us. You'll find a ton of support here.

You may want to see a neurologist to get an MRI, and also be sure that you are tested for the many conditions which can mimic MS symptoms, such as Vit. B12 deficiency, Lyme disease, lupus, etc.

I hope you are able to get answers to what is going on soon and that it isn't MS.

Big hugs and prayers,

Lisa
    Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
    Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
    Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

Thank you, Lisa! (Great name, by the way!)

I saw my doctor yesterday, and he ordered very blood test imaginable...testing for Lupus, Lyme, all kinds of antibodies, vitamin deficiencies, etc.

He mentioned the possibility of MS, and I'm having an MRI soon - he wants me to do the VNG/ENG test first to appease my insurance company (just in case).

I guess time will tell.

Comment

Lisa,
        The other Lisa gave you good advice. To put a sharper point on it, you need to have MRI's of spine and brain. The lumbar puncture isn't always used these days, but don't rule it out. Also, you should find out where your vitamin D level is.

Comment

Dr just called and left me a long message about my blood test results.

Vitamin D is fine (a little low, but typical for this region, he said)

ANA is positive. He wants me to follow up with a rheumatologist.

I don't have any symptoms of arthritis, though...none.

My biological mother has Lupus, but I'm 42 and have yet to have a single symptom (that I am aware of).

Hmm.

Waiting for the Dr to call me back so I can ask questions...

Comment

Welcome. I am glad that you found us. I am sorry that you are looking for answers.

I hope your doctor has called you and can answer you questions. Let us know when you can how your talk with your doctor went.

Just know that we are here as you look for answers. Lots of (((hugs)))

Comment

Originally posted by Isis View Post
              Dr just called and left me a long message about my blood test results.

Vitamin D is fine (a little low, but typical for this region, he said)

ANA is positive. He wants me to follow up with a rheumatologist.

I don't have any symptoms of arthritis, though...none.

My biological mother has Lupus, but I'm 42 and have yet to have a single symptom (that I am aware of).

Hmm.

Waiting for the Dr to call me back so I can ask questions...
              Seeing the rheumatologist sounds like a good start with the ANA being positive in your blood. Lupus and other antibody diseases can be the cause all of the symptoms that you listed. I would not give up on asking for an MRI though. Ask for them just to check one with and w/o contrast to be sure to rule out MS. At least you can get that piece out of your head. Given you family histories of both diseases, it would be prudent to seek both rule-out diagnoses.
              Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
              SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
              Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by 22cyclist View Post
                Seeing the rheumatologist sounds like a good start with the ANA being positive in your blood. Lupus and other antibody diseases can be the cause all of the symptoms that you listed. I would not give up on asking for an MRI though. Ask for them just to check one with and w/o contrast to be sure to rule out MS. At least you can get that piece out of your head. Given you family histories of both diseases, it would be prudent to seek both rule-out diagnoses.
                My GP had me come in last week for more blood tests...lots of them. They took 5 tubes. I know that they did a lot of different antibody tests and some were specific to Lupus.

So, just waiting now...should get the blood test results tomorrow, I think. They mentioned doing some imaging next, so I'm guessing that means MRI.

Comment

Working...
                X