Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Menopause, the Pill, and MS (for the girls)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Menopause, the Pill, and MS (for the girls)

Hi all,

I am 48 years old and have been on the Pill for 30 years now. My neuro has kept me on it because he feels there is a link between lower estrogen and MS decline. I moved recently and don't have the same neuro - my cardiologist here really feels its time to take me off (HBP and cholesterol). My periods are still regular on the pill but I suspect that I am entering menopause and once I go off likely will. This month I am having an odd period with bright red bleeding instead of the norm so I am wondering if I am already there.

At any rate I have followed the research and it does seem there is a link between estrogen levels and MS. Often women seem to decline once they enter menopause. I have had a very good 10 years now and wonder if the Pill and the balancing of hormones has had a positive effect on my MS.

I'd love to hear from people that have gone off the pill or are in menopause to get your thoughts. Not having a good MS neuro locally is frustrating and I'm hoping for some collective wisdom. I could ask my gyno to put me on hormone therapy but just not sure what's best.

Thanks!

Mexigrl

Her there Mexigril! One would think that with all the woman in world we would know far more than we do regarding the "change of season" in our life, but alas...we don't and opinions vary per doctor and individual. (kinda like MS)

I too was on the pill for years to mitigate the waves of depression and anxiety, that we know (just three yrs ago) was due to my MS. Shortly after dx the hormones just didn't seem to be working for me and most months I didn't have a period. Low and behold, no cycle. However, I would wake up regularly at night between one and two in the morning roasting HOT, which would make the pins, needles and burning pain in my legs increase. I would take the hot water bottle I went to bed with, dump out the water and replace it with ice cold water and put it on legs and feet. I'd finally fall back to sleep around 4 or 5 am and before I knew it it was time to get the kids off to school and to go to work. Needless to say I was a mess.

Thus, hesitantly I went on the Vivelle Dot, estrogen patch, lowest dose available and it seems to do the trick.

BTW, I am 51 yrs. young, with two kids in elementary school and middle school (old mom though), so I have to juggle lots with my DH traveling every week on business. I just had to take the risks associated with continuing on estrogen. Despite what the future holds, I know I made the right decision in order to manage the household and be a good mother, wife and employee.

I hope this info (sorry it got to be so long) is helpful to you in this season. Hugs! :-)

PS - you're not crazy....it is menopause...for me, MS and Menopause has sometimes been more than I think I could handle. God must have a lot of confidence in me!:-)

Comment

Working...
    X