Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Early Menopause or MS Chemistry Changing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early Menopause or MS Chemistry Changing?

First, I want to say how much I appreciate this MS board. It comforts me, informs me, and empowers me! May GOD bless each of you who contribute and maintain this website.

I am almost 42, and since May, I've been having horrible hot flashes, but at this same time, I started of the fentanyl patches. Well, since I was diagnosed in 06 and after getting started on MS drugs, I started freezing and do not stop. This past week with temps in the 20s, I have been too warm! We have a woodstove, and although it isn't that hot, I'd rather be on the front porch swing.

Will someone else share their experience with me? I am not sure if this is significant, but my mother and all her sisters (7 of them) all started menopause early. My mother passed away two years ago, so I cannot talk with her.

So.. any flip of the coins to know if this is early menopause or just the MS chemistry changing. (No, I've not added any new meds besides the fentanyl patches.)

Love and prayers to all.
    Melissa--Betaseron 2007-2010; Novantrone 2008; Tysabri 2010-2012; Rituxan 2012; Tecfidera 2015; Currently-No DMD

Healer is my GOD!

Could it be your thyroid?

I had some of the same questions earlier this year - at 42. I was actually concerned that a relapse might be coming on, but there were some other possibilities with the fatigue, too - one being anemia from heavy periods. So I talked to my PCP, who pointed out it was time to check my thyroid medication levels.

Guess what? That was it. Hypothyroid can cause night sweats, and can cause you to feel cold when it isn't cold out, and it can cause some weird mood issues. And if I remember, you posted on another thread that you had gained some weight? Yup, can do that, too. And make it hard for you to fall asleep.

And here's the other thing - hypothyroid is a very common problem for MS patients. Most likely also autoimmune. So it's worth asking your doctor about it and having it checked.

It's a simple blood test, and the treatment is a pill first thing every morning on an empty stomach. Super simple, but makes a huge difference if this is indeed the problem.

Comment

Working...
    X