Pregnancy and antidepressant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pregnancy and antidepressant

I went to my OB/GYN the other day to find out what medications I need to get off of before trying to conceive. I can't start trying until February due to when I stopped Tysabri.

She stated that I should stay on an antidepressant during my pregnancy but stop in the 3rd trimester and suggested zoloft. I have seen a lot of those class action suits for pregnancy and birth defects related to antidepressants and zoloft was listed. I agree that I need one due to my strong depression, PTSD history, but I would not want to hurt my child.

Did any of you stay on an antidepressant when pregnant? If so, which one? Have you heard of any being safer than another?
    RRMS 10/2011 Sick and tired of being sick and tired!

Hi! I was taking Lexapro when I found out I was pregnant and stopped it immediately. For about the next 6 months I struggled with my mood swings (that's why I took/take Lexapro). I began seeing a therapist to see if that would work in place of the medication and it helped but not enough.

When I was around 6 months pregnant I went back on the medication. According to my OB the reason I needed to be off of it during the 3rd trimester was because my baby would go through withdrawal once he was born. I'm not sure if he did, but I figured I could deal with a crying/"depressed" baby.

Your doctor knows what's best, so be sure to raise any concerns. I was told Lexapro was relatively safe during pregnancy, but it may not work for your depression/PTSD. Maybe you could talk to her about lowering your dose or switching to a "safer" medication.
    Lori
    Betaseron 2004-2009, Tysabri 2010-2011, Copaxone 2012-2013, Tecfidera 2013...

Comment

Lori,

She wants to switch it to the Zoloft from my current medication. I chose her from her education alone, so I guess I should just trust her. I am probably just nervous since I will be a first time mother, and never thought MS and PTSD would be a part of it. I just need to let myself relax and not worry about things
      RRMS 10/2011 Sick and tired of being sick and tired!

Comment

Relaxing sounds good! I wish you the best!!!!!
        Lori
        Betaseron 2004-2009, Tysabri 2010-2011, Copaxone 2012-2013, Tecfidera 2013...

Comment

Working...
        X