Mom's Shoes for a Wedding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mom's Shoes for a Wedding?

My son is getting married in July. I’m not as worried about find a dress, as I am about finding comfortable, dressy shoes. I haven’t been able to wear heels in about 5 years. Unless a shoe ties or buckles or has a Velcro fastener……I can’t keep it on my foot.

Dose anyone have a suggestion about a shoe with no heels that is dressy? I’m thinking like a ballerina flat? Also, I have a BIG foot…….9.5. I’ve got time to look….but suggestions?

I've done well with Easy Spirit's lightweight editions. They keep changing the name, and I'm not sure what the current one is. They're very chunky, but they have padding and do qualify as dress shoes. I can wear normal heels, but not for more than a short time if I have to stand. These I can stand in (and they have heels and flats).

Comment

Congratulations on the upcoming happy occasion!

My daughter got married last year. My mother-of-the-bride dress was a cute LBD. I hadn't worn heels in years, because of my MS balance issues. But, I'd lost a bunch of weight prior to the wedding, and my balance issues had improved.

I decided that I wanted something with a low heel, and I really like the appearance of sling-backs. Although many sling-backs come with a skinny, high heel, I found a cute pair with a lower, and a little bit more chunky heel. They are a very attractive shoe, and I thought they'd look dressy.

Well, they did look very nice. But, for some reason (even though the balancing issue was fine), they were horribly uncomfortable. I wore them for the wedding. I wore them again, 2 weeks later, for a reception that the grooms parents planned in his hometown. And, although they were uncomfortable both times, I tried wearing them a third time, this time, to church on a Sunday when I had no responsibilities, and would be able to mostly sit. They still felt horrible.

I have worn the dress for a number of occasions since then. I now wear it with some pretty ballet flats and some patterned black hose, and the ensemble looks fine.

I don't know if it's possible to try wearing the shoes at home a little and walking around in them for an hour or two (no matter WHAT kind of shoe that you get), and make sure that they are comfortable.

The other shoes remain in my closet, no longer used. Some day, I need to donate them to the local thrift store. But, I feel sorry for the poor unsuspecting soul who purchases them.

~ Faith
      ~ Faith
      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
        I tried wearing them a third time, this time, to church on a Sunday when I had no responsibilities, and would be able to mostly sit. They still felt horrible.
        We ladies and our shoes... a true love/hate relationship! We wouldn't give anything or anyone a third chance to hurt us... except shoes!

Depending on your dress, I would consider a wedge heel. There's some really dressy ones out there that don't look silly. I'm not sure where you live but if you have stores called "Soft Moc" and "Walking On A Cloud" they have really fashionable, yet expensive but worth every cent, shoes for all occasions.

Jen
        RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
        "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Mom View Post
          We ladies and our shoes... a true love/hate relationship! We wouldn't give anything or anyone a third chance to hurt us... except shoes!

Jen
          lol, Jen!

~ Faith
          ~ Faith
          MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
          - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
          - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
          X