I'm a teen with a mother who might have MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a teen with a mother who might have MS

Well I just wanted to know something. Last week my mother was at the mall and she started to feel faint. Now earlier in the day she was perfectly fine. So at the mall she said she felt faint and that she couldn't move her hand. I went to get her some water and she just said her hand was numb. So I called my grandparents and that's when she started to panic a little when they came to the mall to see what was up. She has also had history of severe anxiety attacks and I thought that's what was wrong.

So while we were in the car her left hand started to shake. She had no control of her muscles at all. Everything just seemed to be getting worse. So then we decided to go to the hospital then she just started shaking all over like her head was shaking, hands and her legs were twitching. I was really scared because this was different from her panic attacks. She told me that when someone would hold her hand or her head the shaking would stop. So she was shaking for a good 3 hours in the hospital (not seizure shaking) just like twitching all over and the doctor said he didn't know what was wrong at all. They gave her this pill (I forget what it was called) and shortly after she stopped shaking and they discharged her like an hour later. She was fine the next day then that Sunday she started doing it again so she was rushed back to the hospital.

After she came home the second time she is calm but she still have a muscle twitch with her left arm. Thankfully she hasn't been back to the hospital in two weeks but her speech has seemed to be affected. Like she pauses before she says anything or she will stumble a little on her words. She also has been driving like she usually does it's just the twitch that is still there. So is this MS? If it is as a teen how can I cope with this? I'm 18 and my mom is in her 40s I just need some advice on how to deal

If possible your mom needs to see a neurologist. Can your grandparents help? ER docs are great for emergencies but they don really diagnose anything. She should probably see a dr.

Do you have friends, your dad or grandparents that can help you? You may need the support to be able to support her! This is really hard for a child to help their parent no matter how old the child is.

LZMOM

Comment

your mom should see a neurologist.

yes, this might be MS but it could be a hundred other things.
      just be there for your mom right now
      Learn from yesterday
      Live for today
      Hope for tomorrow

Comment

You're a great daughter, by trying to cope with your mom

I'm glad that you're observing all of these things that your mom is doing. You're a good daughter! I hope that your mom will go and see her family doctor first and I'm sure he/she will recommend a neurologist to her. That is the normal routine. It might help for someone to go with her to observe and take note of what the doctor tells her. I hope she goes thru with it. Good luck hun!

Comment

HI!!!

My Mom has MS all I can do is stay possitive!!! My mom suggested to write my feelings in a journal, but that did not work for me. Maybe it will work for u!! If that does not work just tell her your feelings. Thats what I do. Good Luck!!

Comment

StAy PoSiTiVe

My mum has MS and you should stay positive because if you get worried it will probably make things seem worse. Also talk to your mum about what your feeling cause she might be able to clear some things up for you
            ChLoE!!!!

Comment

It could be MS... but that doesn't mean she has it.. she should certainly see a nuero. Btw I am a teen periodically being tested for MS, and my mother most likely has MS also. Stay positive and best wishes to you and your mother!

Comment

my mom has ms

my mom has had ms for the past couple of years and i was wondering when u wake up your numb from your head to your toes????

Comment

Working...
                X