wheelchair to walking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wheelchair to walking

I have been in a WC for almost 4 years now. I am regaining some feeling in and control of my legs. Please share with me any experiences any of you have had in progressing back to walking. Thanks. Norine

I am hoping you get some replies. Will be watching your post.
    Are you on new meds?

Comment

I have not had to use a wheelchair..just want to say Congratulations!!
      Susan......... Beta Babe since 1994....I did improve "What you see depends on where you're standing" from American Prayer by Dave Stewart

Comment

I was in a wheelchair four years ago after a bad relapse that paralyzed my left side. I could walk using a walker and dragging my left leg but I also had vertigo so my balance sucked. My Dr. suggested PT but my insurance didn't cover it, so I opted for a deep water running class at my YMCA. Little by little my left leg got a bit better and after a year I was walking with a cane, but I couldn't walk very far - if I went, for example, to the mall, my DH would push me in my chair (with my left hand not so good I couldn't wheel my chair very well). Long story shortened, after four years and lots of swimming, I now walk without a limp and can walk pretty far without fading. I did a whole day at a fair a few months ago. I still get worse as the day goes by, but I'll take what I have! I HIGHLY recommend water therapy - either deep water running or ROM classes.
        Polly
        MS hit like a hammer out of the blue May 1, 2007
        Life is hard, yard by yard, Inch by inch, it's a cinch.

Comment

water therapy

I had not been in a wheelchair, but had very weak legs and also used water therapy after PT did not help. What a world of difference. A few years ago I was able to do a Zumba class and some Hip Hop classes at slower pace and keep up fairly well, but after the last set back Zumba was out. Water arobics and water strengthening is great, and maybe someday I'll be up to another zumba class.
          Always keep trying, never give up. To give up is not to get up.
          nelly

Comment

How wonderful to walk again. I use a Rollator around the house & wheelchair when out.
            I saw my neuro the other day & going for a MRI on fri.I've had some setbacks,so he just wants to check.
            I would love to do water arobics,my DD is after me,but I look like such a "Water Bufflow" in a swim suit.LOL!
            I just can't get over my fear of how awful I look.But I'd love to be in the water.
            God Bless Nona Judy

Comment

I've been doing water exercises since diagnoses three years ago and always feel so much better after the class. The class is held only once a week.

Question for those of you who do water exercises....how often do you do them?

Comment

Ampyra helps

Originally posted by Norine View Post
                I have been in a WC for almost 4 years now. I am regaining some feeling in and control of my legs. Please share with me any experiences any of you have had in progressing back to walking. Thanks. Norine
                Hi Norine,

Just saw this and want to report Ampyra and exercise have helped me walk a lot better. I use a scooter outdoors and until I moved west 8 months ago had an electric wheelchair at home - it was a large ranch house I had modified to be fully accessible.

My balance has improved, I can now move my leg forward instead of throwing it, and am much happier. I can't go that far, but I can go.

I'm one of those who definitely responds to Ampyra.

OTH, it could be the love of a very good woman, in the month we've been together I've been happier than I've been in many, many years.

Comment

i've been in a wheelchair for 5 years now and i was dx with MS when i was 15 in 1997 and then in 2008 i was dx with Devic's and i wanted to know if this could happen for someone like me with Devic's? I am a little bit stronger than i was a few months ago i just got finish with my rituxan treatments so i'm hoping this will help with relapses and i can continue to get stronger.
                  "only the strong survive"

"God don't make mistakes"

Comment

You all have encouraged me!

Hi all,

I wanted to let you all know that after reading your posts, I am on the hunt for a water aerobics class in my area. I have sent emails to a fitness club and the YMCA to request more information.

I was dx'd with RRMS in 2006, never had a relapse or remission, so I was pretty sure I really had PPMS. After finally switching neuros, I have a confirmed dx of PPMS.

I have noticed quite a lot of lower leg problems and my gait and balance have definitely worsened. So I thought I'd take advantage of the lovely pool where I live, but really need a little coaching as to what to do when I'm in there, other than bounce around. I'm really looking forward to hearing back from the YMCA.

And to the ladie who stated she looks/felt like a water buffalo, STOOOOOOOOOP! Let me tell you my story. I have a size 10 rear-end and a size 18 belly. So of course I had to get a swimsuit to fit my belly, which leaves a whole lot of material in the booty area, and really makes the swimsuit way too long for my torso. So here I am in the pool and the boyfriend asks why my arms are down under the water and why I'm not swimming....And I have to explain to him that I have to hold the top part up or I will have a fall-out and the bottom part down or I will have a very unattractive thong thing going on!
                    Needless to say I have an order out for a decent fitting suit, hopefully it will arrive before summer ends!

So I say to you, just do it! I was doing this with all the size -0, 20 somethings with their washboard ab boyfriends near me. And I was thinking to myself, enjoy it now honey, cuz' you're not going to look like that in 30 years!

Anyway, thanks for the thoughts! And a ?, how many days of the week do you go?

Cat
                    =^..^= Cat =^..^=

First Major MS Symptoms 2/25/06
                    Official MS Diagnosis 4/13/06
                    Bifer Babe, Copa Cutie, and finally a Gilenya Goddess

Comment

Working...
                    X