Changing fashion choices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing fashion choices

I was reading the older thread about that show "What Not to Wear" and how it would be if an MSer were to be on it and the choices would have to be tailored for easier dressing and whatnot. It just got me thinking. I know that I've had to change a few things about what I wear. How about you, girls?

I can't wear anything scratchy or too tight because my skin is now super sensitive (thank god jeans are still okay). I only wear a bra now if it's completely necessary for visiting someone or having to do a social event (very rarely, that is). I prefer slip on shoes because laces are too difficult. I could tie them but the bending is impossible. I'm also too tired to really fix my hair so I just brush it and tie a bandana on to hide the frizziness. Luckily I was always a bit of a tomboy so bandana, muscle shirt, flannel, and jeans aren't a big change but I do miss getting dressy and wearing complicated clothes.

I used to love going to the local renaissance faire but it's not just the walking and the crowd, I can't IMAGINE wearing a corset for more than five minutes anymore.

Luckily with summer coming there are summer dresses that are loose and soft and flowy and you don't need a painful bra with them.

Hmmm... Changes... I've made plenty! Most of the clothes I wear are layerable so I can put on/take off easily depending on how hot/cold I am. I wear jeans only when absolutely necessary, which is not very often considering I basically live in sweat pants. Same with makeup. Only when necessary! Most of my shoes are easy to get on/off and I leave the laces loose so I can slip them on/off without having to mess with the laces. Makes things much easier! Most of my business clothes are ready-to-wear and require little effort.

I love going to the Renissance Fair! I still wear a corset though. I don't have much trouble with my torso area sensitivity-wise so I can still wear them. My legs are a different story!

I'm interested in what ways other women have made fashion changes.
    Rae Roy

Comment

Like the previous poster, I too have to dress in layers, since I never know if I'll be hot or cold... I find it a little annoying at times since I have tons of sweaters that I feel I can't wear out anymore, because of that... I feel like I'm stuck with 'cardigans' for life now...
      Nancy
      Diagnosed with RRMS: June 2008. Rebif: Aug. 2008 - Aug. 2011, Gilenya: Sept. 2011 - Aug. 2012. TTC for baby #1

Comment

I've been thinking that I'll get some really nice shoes for the summer. When I was using a cane or walker I had to have flat, "sensible" shoes so I didn't fall over. Now that I'm in a powerchair whenever I go out, my feet don't touch the ground - I could wear heels if I want to!!! There's always a silver lining to any cloud, I guess.

Comment

Summer is almost here

Summer's here but no open toe shoes for me. Doesn't work well when one foot tends to drag or stump. Also no sandals w/o a back strap...I will kick them off without strap to hold them on...of course all of my shoes are flat...Balance & stamina not enough for wearing high "*****y" heels. Oh about the laces....you can get stretchy ones from drug store...lace them up once...and that's all.

My toenails are thick...should I get a pedicure or go to podiarist?.....these puppies must be cut!
          [I]Tellnhelen
          Progressive Relapsing MS

Comment

My style is definitely more casual than it used to be. The one thing that I try to make myself do is wear make up. I know it shouldn't matter, but I don't want people thinking that I have just let myself go and thats why I don't feel well.
            I realize that sounds stupid. I can't win that one - if I look too nice than I must not feel that bad. If I dress to casual than I am not taking care of myself and thats why I feel so bad.
            I hate wearing jeans or tops that are too "touchy". I only wear one type of socks because they have arch supports. I hate thinking about what to wear.

Comment

heels are a thing of the past

I miss my high heels but wearing low ones beats falling on my face... which I do anyway!

I opt for more comfy clothes with less things to fasten, tie, zip, button or whatever. Sneakers whenever I can get away with them. Socks need to be soft as my feet hurt all the time.

Good days I can wear whatever and not worry. Bad days, I wear whatever is easiest. I do try to get dressed every day though. I don't want to live in my jammies...

Comment

Originally posted by RoyaleMSer View Post
                I love going to the Renissance Fair! I still wear a corset though. I don't have much trouble with my torso area sensitivity-wise so I can still wear them. My legs are a different story!
                I would definitely still wear my corset but I am or was a bit of a tight lacer. If I could smoke a cigarette comfortably, the corset wasn't tight enough. Not really healthy (the cigs didn't help either) but I love it. Push in that flabby belly, accentuate the womanly curves, and keep from slouching. It was great.

Hee, you guys should see me today. I had a bad morning (my first day after my first full dose of Avonex in the middle of a flare up is FUN) So I couldn't even move for about an hour. When I finally could move, I grabbed a grey tank top, really super baggy grey sweatshirt, dark blue bandana, and a long gothic purple velvet skirt. OH and slip on shoes with tattoo style designs on them. I look like a very strange gypsy. There was no way I was leaving the house today since I could barely make it to the next room and I wanted to be comfy.

Originally posted by tellnhelen
                Summer's here but no open toe shoes for me. Doesn't work well when one foot tends to drag or stump. Also no sandals w/o a back strap...I will kick them off without strap to hold them on...of course all of my shoes are flat...Balance & stamina not enough for wearing high "*****y" heels. Oh about the laces....you can get stretchy ones from drug store...lace them up once...and that's all.

My toenails are thick...should I get a pedicure or go to podiarist?.....these puppies must be cut
                I quit wearing open toed shoes when I was a teenager. Even before MS, or at least before it really hit me, I was a clutz! I can't tell you how many times I injured a toe or got a huge splinter. Yikes. As for your question of toes, I say if they're not unhealthy and you can afford it, treat yourself to a pedicure. I was never the salon going type but MAN I love pedicures. So relaxing.

Comment

Perfect place to ask my burning question...

I haven't had to change too much yet. I don't regulate my temp well anyways, so I've always had a fuzzy (fleece) or sweater on hand. However, that said....swimming season is coming, and I've been looking for a swimsuit that looks cool but covers my injection therapy - bruised thighs. I want board shorts that are almost to the knee but not so wide. All I can find around here or online so far is either cut too short or way too wide. =( Oh, I need to mention I'm 4'11" and 115. So children's sizes don't work, but neither does anything over a small. Help! and thankyou!!!!
                  D&C 121:7-8 ...peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment

Comment

Originally posted by Susanette View Post
                    ....swimming season is coming, and I've been looking for a swimsuit that looks cool but covers my injection therapy - bruised thighs. I want board shorts that are almost to the knee but not so wide. All I can find around here or online so far is either cut too short or way too wide. =( Oh, I need to mention I'm 4'11" and 115. So children's sizes don't work, but neither does anything over a small. Help! and thankyou!!!!
                    Actually, I find great board short options at Pac Sun at my local mall. I'm sure they have a website. Pac Sun is a sand/surf type of cothing store. You might check them out!
                    Rae Roy

Comment

swim attire

Check out Athleta.com for swimwear, etc.

Comment

Shoes

I have found that I can't seem to wear socks and tennis shoes. I have to wear slip on shoes without socks. Panty-hose I can still do and socks. But not socks and shoes.
                        I get hot and they annoy me and make me antsy.

Comment

I have only changed my style slightly. I seem to only be able to keep my balance in shoes that have a pretty thick sole and that I tie up. If the shoes are loose at all or can move I feel like I am going to fall...makes my sad because I love my berks and now I can barely walk in my current pair.

But not being able to find a pair of sandles or dress shoes means that I wear dark jeans to work everyday. I was asked not to wear jeans but I refuse to work in a JH school and wear skirts and dress pants with sneakers. I can handle looking causal while I am teaching but I want my clothes to suit each other at least.

I was never a dressy up person but now I feel like the option is not really there at all. I do have one pair of shoes that I can walk in if I need to wear a dress but they are still not great for wearing for long periods of time.

Fashion...bah!! haha!!

Comment

Thought I was alone in This

I loved my Birks and wore them year round, but, I too, have had to give them up. They were the ONLY shoes I wore for years. I have to wear stockings with socks to wear sneers. I put on my dress and keep going. I am so glad I can still go. It is too bad you have a dress code....
                            Positive Possibilities

Comment

I nearly cried when I read these posts... I thought it was just me and it would sound too crazy to say out loud but, I just can't stand having clothes touching me too roughly or at all. Drives me crazy. This is a recent thing for me, last few months, was in a flare-up during this time too. My husband couldn't understand if I was cold why was I wearing short sleeves? Couldn't stand the material touching my arms.
                              And heels, thats out, even with my suits & dresses anymore. Need the steadiest shoes, I like Dansko, stable and easy on/off.
                              1st neurological event 5/29/10. Dx 4/29/11. Avonex since 8/20/10. Age 41 & still smiling.
                              Because we have hard times, we really know how to appreciate the good times

Comment

Working...
                              X