Dealing with home care

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dealing with home care

Hi, just feel like venting. I have had home care for over 10 years. My MS has left me totally dependent on others for all my basic needs. I have three grown children who do not live with me and are married and busy with their own lives. For the last five years my condition has worsened. Even though I am 62, I do not feel my age. It's frustrating, especially since the people that take care of me are not considerate. I'd like hear from others.

I am on my second caregiver. Ready to let her go. She says she can't dust because she has allergies. But she won't do aything unless I start doing it first. So tired. My friend has someone she knows and I will be interviewing her. She will dust I am told.
    Person I have to fire is my grand daughter.
    SgrammieD

Comment

in home care

I am so sorry you are both having hard times. We're all facing this at sometime in our futures.

We used an agency for my Mom and I was never happy the agency received the same pay per hour as the person doing the work.

It would be great if both of you sgrammied and grandma2 (and anyone else with this experience) give us some tips for this process. I know I would greatly appreciate it.

Bless you both!
      Susan......... Beta Babe since 1994....I did improve "What you see depends on where you're standing" from American Prayer by Dave Stewart

Comment

Camsue, Hi. My Dad had MS and was in the hosp. there in Camarillo. I lived just north of LA in the foothills until about 20 years ago. My Dad, Sister, and baby are both buried in Camarillo. I spent a lot of time there.
        As for the caregiver. I first had my daughter, she is still my fill in and emergency contact. My granddaughter was needing a job when my daughter went to work for a Dr. I did not realize what I was getting into. Ask friends if they know anyone who is out of work that they trust. That is what I just did.
        Wish you the best of luck in getting help.
        Sandy
        SgrammieD

Comment

caregivers, etc

WOW!! small world!!! Hi sgrammied, neighbor!
          I have many friends in the same cemetery.....

I sympathize with your predicament of hiring and possibly firing your granddaughter.

Our main disagreement amongst the siblings with hiring a private caregiver was the legalities and taxes. Someone has to be "tax savvy" to know what to report, whether to withhold, etc. or pay 'under the table' and let the caregiver worry about it..

Having one brother that is an accountant (a democrat) and one a Minister (a republican) made for lively discussions!

My Mom is now in a facility so for her those days are over

Nice to meet you
          Susan......... Beta Babe since 1994....I did improve "What you see depends on where you're standing" from American Prayer by Dave Stewart

Comment

Home care

A friend told me that the Seventh Day Adventists are a good source for home care.

Comment

I managed a home health agency for 12 years and know the frustrations from both the agency and patients point of view. If you have covered service by insurance, medicare or medicaid you almost always have to go through an agency. If you are paying out of pocket churchs are a good source also most hospitals keep a list of people who do this type service on their off days for extra money. For my dad we were extremly fortunate to find a lady who lacked the resourses to live independently. She was uneducated but devoted and loving. She lived in for the bargain sum of $100 per week. After Dad passed I wrote a reference letter and she continued this line of work until she became eligible for SS and retired.

Comment

Home health aids

I currently have home health aids. I am a 58 yo widow. I have had help since end of February. All I can say is it beats falling. I broke my femur last August and spent 5 1/2 months in nursing home much to my horror. SO, HEALTH AIDS IT IS. I like privacy, but if agreeing to in-home help keeps me safer, so be it. We as msers must adapt to survive. Of course, be vigilant when possible. I trust God but He expects me to use the good sense He gave me. so some of these young whipper-snappers.

Comment

Working...
                X