Mirena IUD and MS? Mirena and Gilenya?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mirena IUD and MS? Mirena and Gilenya?

Hey ladies, I think I've seen in the birth control thread that some of you are using Mirena IUD? This is a two part question.

1) I'm wondering if it's okay for us with MS to use Mirena IUD, as I'm concerned about this (which I read on their site):

Mirena is not appropriate for women who:
    • Can get infections easily. For example, if you have
      • problems with your immune system

Possible side effects of Mirena:

Between 5% and 10% of Mirena users may experience:
    • Headache/Migraine
    • Depressed mood

Less than 5% of Mirena users may experience:
    • Decreased sex drive

(These are just excerpts with the items that concerned me)

Right now I'm using Yaz and want OUT ASAP!

2) Also, I'm on Rebif at the moment, but not sure it's working for me... So if I switch to Gilenya, will it still be okay?
    Doesn't it make the immune system weaker?
    Will it not be an appropriate birth control method?

I'd love to hear your opinions/advice on this.
    Nancy
    Diagnosed with RRMS: June 2008. Rebif: Aug. 2008 - Aug. 2011, Gilenya: Sept. 2011 - Aug. 2012. TTC for baby #1

Mirena

As long as you have had a child, (which I think is the only way you can get one) this is the BEST birth control EVER invented!! I have had one for going on 10 years even though my husband has a vasectomy!!

I LOVE not having a period and never worrying about pregnancy!!
    Good luck!
    LZMOM

Comment

The Mirena IUD...

I have had zero problems and went from having heavy week long periods to nothing. I am SPMS btw ...

Kim
      1990 Probable MS Betaseron
      1992 Yup, MS, RRMS Avonex
      2011: SPMS and Tysabri

Comment

I've never had a kid... and I'm almost sure I don't want any (I'm 32). So they won't give it to me???

Kim, what's SPMS?
        Nancy
        Diagnosed with RRMS: June 2008. Rebif: Aug. 2008 - Aug. 2011, Gilenya: Sept. 2011 - Aug. 2012. TTC for baby #1

Comment

Mirena

SPMS is secondary progressive MS. My doc suggested Mirena as I am not having kids at this point (I am 44 and do not want to deal with pregnancy at this age PLUS MS) - my monthly period became an ordeal and this helped a lot. Kept the hormones in check--

--Kim
          1990 Probable MS Betaseron
          1992 Yup, MS, RRMS Avonex
          2011: SPMS and Tysabri

Comment

Have you had any kids kimberleym2005? Just wondering since LZMOM said you need to have had at least one child... I haven't had any, and I don't think we'll have any (I'm still 32 though... so who knows... but not anytime soon).

I read that the reason they say the thing about having a child is that they only tested it on women who had at least one child... And I thought I had heard of women who hadn't had any and were using Mirena...
            Nancy

Comment

I just had my Mirena put back in, had one for about 3 years, had it taken out to try and get pregnant and just had it put back in about 3 months ago. I have had no children, however it is hard to find a provider willing to do women without children because our cervix's are smaller and it is harder to get inserted.

The question concerning infection is usually pelvic inflammatory disease b/c you are more prone to have ectopic pregnancy so they have to warn for complications. The risk of illness types of infection are not increased and the autoimmune modulator you are on will not be effect by IUD.

I am like all others and LOVE my IUD. We are behind in the US, an IUD is used by almost 90% of European women. I usually stop having a period after about 3 months and having it removed was a piece of cake. It is more painful for us w/o children to have it placed, however well worth the pain. I work next to Women's Health, therefore I have a provider friend put mine in, that is the most difficult. Good luck

Comment

I have a Mirena, and my neuro is fine with it. I looooove my IUD!

Shortcake, the original "rules" were that you had to have delivered vaginally, because it permanently enlarges the opening to your cervix. That's been changed--you can have an IUD inserted without having had a vaginal birth, although it is easiest when you are menstruating. I'd ask again or ask another doctor.

Comment

I went to my GP today (she's the one who does my general exams every year, including PAP tests) and asked her. She does that type of 'procedure' too (installing IUDs).

It didn't go so well at first because I was trying to explain my reasons, and she cut me off... But luckily my hubby was with me and "set her straight" by telling her that's not what I meant, and that Mirena IUD is what I want.

So I got the prescription and bought it today, but only getting it 'installed' on April 19th, since as Alicious said, it's better when menstruating since the cervix is more dilated, and today or tomorrow is my last day of my period this month...

Plus the doctor recommended I take some Advil or Tylenol before getting it done since it'll hurt... and hurt for a couple of days after... So I decided to wait until next month since I have a week off at that time anyways.

A little nervous, but at the same time I'm looking forward to getting it 'installed'.
                  Nancy

Comment

Have to try again...

I just came back from my doctor's office. I got Mirena IUD and she tried installing it, but it hurt sooo bad and popped out both times she had installed it and released... I guess I was just so tense from the pain that my body just popped it out...

The doctor said she's never had it happen where she wasn't able to install it... even on women who have never had a kid.

She is ordering another one for me (so I don't have to pay for another one) and we're going to try again... but this time she's going to "freeze" me first...

I'm just so scared now and feel like crying... I want it installed, but I don't know know if I want to go through this again... Am I just being a wimp??? The doctor said that my cervix is very small...
                    Nancy

Comment

Get an injection of local anesthetic.

Hi Shortcake

I had two attempts at having a Mirena installed, the scone attempt done with an injection of local anesthetic into the cervix. It wasn't that comfortable the second time around but not painful like the first. (I haven't had kids either).

It's the best thing I ever did! No periods, the PMS evened out. I've even forgotten to mention it when I had my MRI done and had no problems.

Good luck with the second try, it's worth the effort.
                      Teresa
                      Diagnosis February 2011 Avonex: February 2011 - September 2011, Copaxone: September 2011 - current

Comment

I do have one child and had my Mirena in for 5 years but just had it removed two months ago. I never had any issues or side effects with it and loved all the benefits. Usually i am a worrier about these kinds of things but it did not bother me at all!!!
                        Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwiinoz View Post
                          I had two attempts at having a Mirena installed, the scone attempt done with an injection of local anesthetic into the cervix. It wasn't that comfortable the second time around but not painful like the first. (I haven't had kids either).
                          So when they did the 'installation' with local anesthetic, did you feel anything? Any pain?

You say it wasn't painful like the first time... but did it still hurt? And once it 'unfroze', did you feel it and did it hurt?

I guess I'm a chicken when it comes to pain in certain areas...
                          Nancy

Comment

Hi. I had the Mirena IUD put in and had to have it taken out about a month later. For whatever reason it made my MS act up and I had it removed. I gotta admit, I was bummed about having it removed because with it, I had NO period and therefore no MS symptoms leading up to my period. UGH can't win! but, thankfully once it was removed any symptoms of my MS went away.

Comment

Originally posted by shortcake23 View Post
                              So when they did the 'installation' with local anesthetic, did you feel anything? Any pain?

You say it wasn't painful like the first time... but did it still hurt? And once it 'unfroze', did you feel it and did it hurt?
                              There wasn't any pain the second time around, just discomfort (pressure etc). After it was installed I had a bit of an ache like really dull period pain and that was about it.

Best thing I ever did!
                              Teresa
                              Diagnosis February 2011 Avonex: February 2011 - September 2011, Copaxone: September 2011 - current

Comment

Working...
                              X