Falling Falling Falling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Falling Falling Falling

I'm 53 and have been living with MS since '99. For the past couple yrs I have been falling falling and keep falling. Most times I just get up, but the bathroom keeps getting a little more serious. Going to remodel tub (too high & it likes to trip me). Thinkging about a walking tub, but it won't allow me to lie back and soak, and I'm a soaker. Does anyone have a walking or know someone close with one and can share some thoughts?
    My Cross To Bear Keeps Fallin Off

Correction

Walk-in tub not "walking tub", i'm afrain a "walking tub would run away from me every time LOL

Comment

Do a Google for 'Walk-in tub' one of the first hits is USA tubs, they have some good choices.
      Bill
      Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

The first assisted living that my mom lived in had a walk-in tub. I had seen similar ones advertised in magazines and so forth. She was of the old school and liked tub baths more than showers so I asked if she could use it sometime. It was in a room by itself and had a sign-up sheet. One of the caregivers gave us instructions on it. She said that it was rarely used and frankly more of the caregivers used it when they were off duty than the residents.

Anyway, mom said it would be great so I took her over. We took a bunch of towels(which turned out to be good) and I took a book to read to her while she soaked. Mom has Alzheimers but was pretty early stage at that time but had to have assistance for bathing. Got her undressed and in the tub. Turned on the tap and it was warm really quick and filled up quickly. She really liked it although it was difference than the tubs she had used before.

Well, it had jets so I thought she might like that and we turned them on. Because she had also bathed in the water, the jets began to make these tiny little bubbles in a few minutes. We laughed about them as they rose over the tub. Then there were more and more and MORE of them-like everywhere-floating in the room.Mom got disorieted with all the stuff so I turned it off but the little bubbles were still like everywhere. I opened the drain and the water went out quickly which was great because by then I was beginning to feel like this tub thing was NOT a good thing to do. Mom weighted more than me and I was wondering how I could get her dried off. I couldn't get over the tub to help so finally I rolled up my pants with one hand while holding on to my mom who was as cold and slick as a greased pig and opened the door and stepped into the tub with her. When you have someone who can't help, the whole inside of the tub is like a slippery slide when it is wet.

I finally got her dried off but it took about 9 towels and I was soaking wet by then. Then I got to clean up all the little bubbles that were still everywhere.

I would vote no to a tub like this. Been there. Done that.

You would need someone to sit with you and help you in case you slide under the water. There is nothing you can grip or hold on to to keep yourself up. And you are naked which is also an interesting addition to the mix.

I just had foot surgery and still can't take a shower because my foot is swollen and I'm not that stable standing up in a shower on one foot. So I sit in our jetted soaker tub. It is not huge-it's a one person jobber. But I have found that keeping my foot out of the water is quite a deal. I have to use my upper body strength to get in the tub without crashing into the wall or bottom of the tub. And it takes even more upper body strength to get out. And the slick thing is something I have never encountered at all before. I mean I never worried about the tub being slick until I had foot problems and didn't have two feet. I generally feel like the word slick should be in huge letters enbedded in the tub walls!!!! I generally let the water out and dry off sitting in the tub before hoisting myself up to the edge and getting out.

I am glad my bathroom has no video cameras. It is a sight-I promise you.

Good luck on finding a way to take a tub bath.

lydialou

Comment

Since there is generally a seat, there is little chance of sliding under the water. And there is a door to get in and out, no climbing or lifting.
          Bill
          Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

Another option if you find it difficult getting someone out is getting a walk-in tub where the door comes off.

You wait for the tub to drain, remove the door, and assist the person out. It is often used in assisted living situations where caregivers bathe the person.

Seabridge Bathing carries one like this...

Comment

Falling Falling Falling

Thanks for the replies - never thought about someone having to help me get in and out of the tub. Ugh! I guess by that time I'd have to move over to the shower which is in the redesign plan too. It will include the option of wheel-in with a wheelchair. Just trying to prepare for what might be in my future.

Comment

Shower gal

Don't know why, but maybe since I never had a choice when I was a child, I love a shower.

Baths to me seem kind of yucky. Also a good source for UTI's if you are prone to them and use bath oils or bubble bath.

I do get the soaking urge though, but I'd probably have to shower after to feel clean and to get my hair shampooed. I take a shower everyday and wash my hair evey day.

I have fine hair and that works best.

Tubs can be slippery and surely difficult to get in and out of, but there are aids you can use. There is a tub bench that you can sit on and swing your legs over into the tub.

I would sit on the tub edge, not step over the edge, if I were you. Then you can slip down into the water.

There are also devices to use for gripping which you can install fairly easily.

Same for showers. We did this when my dad was disabled.

Could you take showers, but set aside a day or two for tub soaks to make you feel good?

Diane
                You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

Still Fallin

Diane - thanks for the reply. It's the bath people against the shower people! I do understand the feeling yucky part. If I intend to take a nice long soak, I will first put only a little water in the tub, bathe and cleanse myself, drain the tub, then soak in a fresh set of water. As for the hair bit, I' African American and we do not wash our hair daily because of all that surrounds fixing it again. I have grab bars all around the tub and I use them heavily getting in and out of the tub. I think my problem has more to do with being downright clumsy with no balance more that slipping. I lose my balance on dry land as well as wet which is why I don't think that a walk-in tub would help me as much as those around me keep telling me.

Comment

Originally posted by KureMS View Post
                    Diane - thanks for the reply. It's the bath people against the shower people! I do understand the feeling yucky part. If I intend to take a nice long soak, I will first put only a little water in the tub, bathe and cleanse myself, drain the tub, then soak in a fresh set of water. As for the hair bit, I' African American and we do not wash our hair daily because of all that surrounds fixing it again. I have grab bars all around the tub and I use them heavily getting in and out of the tub. I think my problem has more to do with being downright clumsy with no balance more that slipping. I lose my balance on dry land as well as wet which is why I don't think that a walk-in tub would help me as much as those around me keep telling me.

You have a good attitude. I know that some folks love baths. When I was a kid (up till I got married!) I never had a shower. Just a tub. There were 6 of us in my family; always cleaning the tub ring as I recall.

I was the only girl; had three brothers!

I used to wash my hair in the sink every night; then take my tub bath.

I'd love to have hair that didn't have to be washed daily. Mine is fine and fine hair just loses it's body and hold with even the slightest bit of dirt or grime.

I also have straight hair and used to set it in rollers every single day! That was a long time ago. Now I have it cut short in a style that is 'wash and wear'.

I have friends who don't have to wash their hair daily; they are lucky in my mind.

I know, from talking with my AF friends they have different issues with their hair.

I see this is a shower vs. bath issue but for me it's fine either way; whatever works...,.

Diane
                    You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

Hair/Shower/Etc

Hi Diane - maybe if I had wash-n-wear hair I could deal with washing it daily, but it still sounds like a hassle. But then I'd also have to use the shower which one would thing would end the shower vs tub, but not so. The walk-in tubs have a shower component and also with the sit down, easy access, would actuall may it a preferable choice over the regular shower, especially for MS. Of course I know that if I plut a shower seat in the shower it would make it easier for me and probably lessen falls. Althought I must say I'm on a roll and havent fallen in 2 months!

Comment

Fell Again

Fell twice in July. Back to the average of 1 per month.

Comment

this tread has made me miss having A NICE LONNNGGG WARM SOAK with a good book!
                          "Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"

Comment

eah, I have been falling more too. Really hate it, luckily they hae not been bad so far. Did roll off the couch the other day. That one was pretty funny.

JudySz

Comment

Originally posted by JudySz View Post
                              eah, I have been falling more too. Really hate it, luckily they hae not been bad so far. Did roll off the couch the other day. That one was pretty funny.

JudySz
                              That's a good one Can't say I ever fell off the couch! Fallen lots of times getting up from a chair - can't seem to keep my balance. Once I was clumsy and knocked into the door when leaving a room, knocked myself down on the floor. Hubby almost fell laughing so hard!

Comment

Working...
                              X