No announcement yet.

Define "Senior"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No dx yet, just had my LP last Friday. All the other tests ruled out other issues and the brain MRI showed 11 lesions. Three symptoms - numb/burning/tingling feet for the past six years, equilibrium issues and "cog-fog".

Doc is quite certain it's MS...but I'm 62 freakin' years old!!! Trying to understand why this is happening so late... A lot of good my "senior" discounts are if I can't get to them to take advantage of them. Frustrated...to say the least...

Anybody else out there????
    "Tona Naze"
    Symptoms for six years plus. Dx RRMS September 2011. Drugs??? Nope!!!

Comment

MS doesn't exclude seniors...

Oso49 - Welcome to MS World. I was also in my 60s when dx with MS - tough one to adjust to at our age - or any age for that matter.

I had a lot of spasticity and trouble walking, falling a lot. That was 6 years ago and now I cannot walk without assistance - use a cane most of the time. I do try and look at the good in being diagnosed so late - I did raise my family and had a career before MS and being on this website you will see many who are struggling with MS and still trying to raise their family and/or work. So something to be said for a late onset.

Best of luck to you.

Comment

I was DX at age 55,after 2 miss DX of stroke. I had a neuro that did not care,I was in the ER & my neuro did not want to admit me. My 6'4" 250lbs. Son-in-Law,almost thru him against the wall,he admited me real fast!
        The next morning this Dr. came in & very politely asked if he could examin me. Well that was the start of my biggest blessing,when he was finnished,he looked at me& said I think something elseis going on.The next week I went to his office, after a long question & answer sesion,a long list if tests,in his office & the hospital.
        He sat my husband & I down & said "You have M.S." I started to laugh i was so happy to have a DX. He laughed too as he had never had that reaction.
        Well he's been my neuro for going on 11yrs now,he's seen me thru a lot. I am 66yrs.old now & have come to to see this all as a blessing & no your never to old to be DX.
        Nona Judy

Comment

audima,

Thank you for the reply and the uplifting words. Yes, I too feel fortunate at this late time in life to be facing MS. It could have been so much worse.

Thank you again. The very best to you and yours.
          "Tona Naze"
          Symptoms for six years plus. Dx RRMS September 2011. Drugs??? Nope!!!

Comment

As I have gotten older, I have found that my definition of who is "old" or a senior, is very flexible! When I was a teen I could NOT believe how old and out of date my parents were (in their mid-40's mind you). Then in my 30's I found that 60 was older, then 40's found that 70's were older... etc. lol Now that I am 55, I have found that my Mom in Law that passed away at 100 and 4 months, now SHE was a senior. (and very missed)

I am finding that I am having the same issues with figuring out what disabled is to me. Seems pretty flexible at the moment. Great thread here, glad to see it.
            Debbie

Comment

Originally posted by Scooter24 View Post
              Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me!
              I want people to know 'why' I look this way.
              I've traveled a long way And some of the roads weren't paved.
              I especially enjoyed "and some of the roads weren't paved."
              That brought me a much-needed chuckle.

Comment

It makes me smile

When asked my age, I always add a year or two or three.

Then I hear "Really? You look good for your age!"

I love it.
                Echo
                DX 2007 Started Ocrevus on 2/14/2018

"Some where over the rainbow...."

Comment

Guess I fit in now

I can tell by the replys that this will be a fun group! I am now 55.

I was active here 8 years ago when I got my first bout of Optic Neuritis. My neuro found 5 3mm scars on my MRI and px'd Avonex. I took it for one year, and hated how it made me feel.

I was granted a 8 year relaps, and just began to notice a dimming in the same eye. Sigh. So I registered here again. Glad to be amongst such good company.

Comment

Senior is when you look in every room in your house for your glasses and then realize you are wearing them.

Comment

I think that everyone has a different definition for the word senior. Or so it seems to me. Some places classify both my husband and I as seniors. Others only count him. ???

What I do like is that because my husband is a senior, we could get a membership at our local Y and it is much cheaper.

We have both started swimming which is good for both of us. We go to a swimnastics class that meets in the morning and is terrific. There are about 30 people who attend and we are the youngest (65, 63) except for the teacher. Its great fun. The water really helps you do more. I wish I had discovered this senior thing earlier.

lydialou

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Jackson View Post
                        Senior is when you look in every room in your house for your glasses and then realize you are wearing them.
                        .....or when you've put a pair of glasses in every room and you still can't find them!

Dx @ 61 & 11 months later don't think I'll ever accept it.

Comment

Working...
                        X