Biters!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Biters!!!

Help! I am a chronic nailbiter! I dont know if its MS related but I have gnawed since I can remember.

I know some meds cause anxiousness, but I have always been crazy anxious and its almost compulsive sometimes.

I am curious if maybe the lesions or the abnormalities causing my MS are related...does anyone else gnaw compulsively or have another twitch or obsessive compulsion?

It's common to view things through "MS filters." But nail biting is a just a bad habit and has nothing to do with MS.

Comment

Truly compulsive nail biting can be more than just a bad habit. It could be a specific type of OCD. Talk to your doctor about it if you feel you need help with it.

And as Redwings said, it wouldn't be an MS thing.

Comment

Chronic biting!

No its definitely not just a bad habit. Its a compulsion most days. I am even more anxious now that I am taking an antidepressent. My legs shake so much my mother and coworkers think I should become a drummer heh.

I will talk to my neuro about OCD cuz it is and has been ruining my life. Just a thought was all. I like the MS Filter haha, I have it, I might as well be able to use it to blame something else for my character flaws.

Thanks for the feedback!

Comment

If you want to quit

If you want to quit biting your nails, you can purchase a special clear polish for it. It's purpose is to stop the biting. Every time you put your finger in your mouth, the taste of this stuff will make you want to throw up. You can get it at any pharmacy that carries makeup. Also try to keep in mind that you run a risk of infection if you are biting them to short. They could bleed or a fungus could form. Speak to your Dr. and see what he says.

Comment

I am pretty sure that the day I made the connection that my nails could be bitten was the day I started. Mind you, this was about 14/15 years BEFORE my MS started. Take a deep breath, I am sure it is just a normal thing like mine.

Comment

I'm a nail biter too, since as long as I can remember. I've never clipped my fingernails and they're all neatly trimmed. I don't even notice I'm biting them. I don't think it's a feature of MS.

However, I do think there is an abnormal amount of us with anxiety. I think it's more than a kind of pun to be nervous and have something wrong with your nervous system.

Meditation works. It changed my life. Get a guided meditaion recording and give it a few weeks. It's truly a game-changer in terms of life. If you want to start with drugs, xanax is also a miracle, though shorter acting. Yoga is also fantastic.

Comment

Originally posted by BigA View Post
                I think it's more than a kind of pun to be nervous and have something wrong with your nervous system.
                I'm not sure why but this had me laughing so hard.

On topic though, I used to bite my nails when I was younger. I've always been very anxious though, and now it's probably worse. I used regular nail polish to curb the habit. The stuff is nasty tasting in general. I don't think it needs to have a strong enough effect to make you want to hurl. Although regular nail polish probably isn't something you want to be ingesting. lol I don't think it's an MS thing though. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                X