Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Life after grad school

Hello,
    I was diagnosed while I was in law school and I decided to remain in school, I have RRMS and my symptoms are double vision and loss of sense of taste. With some accommodations during my first attack, I have been able to make it through the last year and a half just fine.

I am starting my last year of law school and I am beginning my job search. I decided this summer that I was going to continue to pursue the field and career I want, I will deal with symptoms as they arise and make adjustments later if I have other symptoms later. My major concern is insurance, and that is really pushing me to get a job instead of going to practice on my own.

I'm wondering, how much did MS and insurance dictate what others decided to do professionally or what jobs to take? It definitely makes me more cautious.

Congrats on almost being finished with law school!

MS dictated my entire career choice and continues to be a major consideration with the jobs I accept. It has its pluses and minuses I guess. I was self-employed when I got the diagnosis so I had no safety net in the event that my MS got ugly. This pushed me to return to school and pursue a more MS friendly career with eligibility for group health insurance.

The good news is I love my jobs and have been able to continue working ridiculous hours. I make an excellent income, am saving for my uncertain future and have job security for if/when things head south thanks to freaking MS.

Best of luck to you and here's hoping we are both able to continue working for a long, long time.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

Comment

Good for you, Selsia

My career as a librarian was a rewarding one for me for 30 years. And as you stated, I made adjustments and dealt with issues as the arose. I was fortunate in that when MS hit hard in later years, I was able to sit at a reference desk. (I am retired now)

I believe it is so important to hold onto your dreams. MS or not, we are resilient and adaptable. Having MS makes us realize how strong our spirits are and I know you will make it! My wish for you that whatever you decide to do, it will be rewarding.

Here's a quote I love: By perseverance the snail reached the ark. Charles Spurgeon

Good luck to you!
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Congratulations Selsia - you are nearly there!

Like JulesA, I was self-employed when I began having problems with MS, though by paying cash for some of my care (instead of filing a health insurance claim), I was able to avoid my diagnosis becoming public knowledge. I later switched to an employed position with good health insurance and other benefits, which I have continued ever since. As a rule, I do not disclose my diagnosis at work or to friends/family; I am lucky that most of my issues are not visible.

I also returned to school and obtained an additional graduate degree (MBA) which gave me more job flexibility when I needed more sedentary work and better hours. BTW, there were several lawyers in my MBA class.

Recently I attended some live concerts performed by one of my favorite musicians. He had double vision as a result of a concussion so he was wearing an eye patch. He looked quite dashing, and he played and sang as well as ever!

I agree with your approach - take the job you want and deal with any problems if they arise. Use a little caution regarding health insurance, but bear in mind that as of January 1, 2014 you "should" be able to buy insurance despite the pre-existing MS.

Comment

I can definitely relate. I recently graduated from law school this April, so I understand the insurance worries. I was diagnosed while in college.

I am not sure where you live, but I know the legal market is tough where I am (SoCal), so sometimes finding a job with benefits is not necessarily an option, if you want a job.

I am currently trying to find a job and saving for the future is a major concern. I am also not dead set practicing the law, so I am giving myself more options.

I guess this post really doesn't answer your question.

Comment

post-grad school

I just graduated this summer and am in my first full-time teaching position.

I made sure to apply for accommodations before I even arrived in town (it's all about heat for me, so I had to make sure my office and classrooms were in buildings with A/C).

One thing that has really eased my mind is that I will always be able to get medical benefits through the ACA. My current job is temporary, so I'll be looking for medical insurance the beginning of the year. I actually put off graduation because I knew I'd be denied insurance with MS.

In terms of building up savings - well, that's something I have to start looking into now. That worries me most about the whole MS thing, especially since I don't have a boyfriend/husband/partner whose income could help if I become unable to work.

Comment

Thank you all so much, its great to know others have dealt with this too.

Ladybugs, I am in SoCal too so you understand my concerns about the legal market. I hope you got good news on your bar exam and you have found a job!

Comment

Law school + MS = sucks

But is easier than working, since my professors are super nice about accommodating my occasional inability to stare at a computer/casebook for 15 hours at a time. Ugh.

Also hi!

I'm in the middle of my last year of law school and I am terrified of not being able to find a job with decent insurance... I want to do legal services work, and I'm not clear that the insurance/job stability that goes along with those jobs (also: the difficulty of finding one!). Fortunately I have short term employment for next year, but then I'm screwed.

My big worry is dealing with mountains of law school debt if I am ever unable to work. Any thoughts on why I should/should not be having a year long panic attack on this one?

Comment

Working...
                X