If you could turn back the clock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you could turn back the clock?

I have a question for the more experienced MSers and those who have been diagnosed for many years. Looking back now, what would you have done differently knowing what you know now?

If you could turn back the clock would you change anything in the way you sought treatment for your MS, took medications, the way you ate, exercised, etc?

No, not really. When I was diagnosed there were no meds to treat the disease. The diagnosis was pretty dire.

I had myself a good time in the years between diagnosis and disability. . There was no internet, and to be honest I was completely not interested in hearing that I had MS. I knew what it was, I knew what it could do, and since there was precious little "they" could do about it, I chose to ignore it.
    “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
    Diagnosed 1979

Comment

I would have not stayed at home to take care of children and myself. I would have kept on working so that I would have enough quarters or units as they are called now so that I could draw SSDI. I left the work force needing 12 more quarters and now I am so bad that I cannot work and will only have my husband's social security and retirement. I lived June Cleaver's life and now I am a dinosaur with a debilitating disease. I do cherish those years with my children though.
      "...the joy of the Lord is your (my) strength." Nehemiah 8:10

Comment

No Regrets only Thanks!

Back in the late 60's nobody listened to me when I complained. I stopped telling anyone how or what I was experiencing. My husband left after about 7 years of marrage in the late 70's so I was able to get some of his S.S.. I went back to work for 21 more years. I also finished college and earned 2 pensions. by 2000. I am grateful for his leaving when he did and for their being no sholder to cry on. I pushed through the sx and am gladly alone to move at my own pace and pay my own bills. I have been on no meds and do not regret that either. I have more money for good food, something I never had before! My sx have steadily increased but I am at peace....
        Positive Possibilities

Comment

IMHO, I think by the time we reach our senior years, we don't have many regrets and are grateful for the journey however painful it has seemed at times. I am truly grateful for all the hard lessons I have learned along the way, including MS. I think I am a much stronger person because of it. (I can say that today as I'm having a good day)

As for MS, when I first having sx in the late 80's, there wasn't much to do and no meds had I known anyway. At the time, I had a friend who was dx and he was using bee sting therapy!

Anyway, don't think I'd have done anything different except excersize more in my 50's when I was more mobile and physically stronger.

How about you Domino?
          1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
          Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Domino View Post

If you could turn back the clock would you change anything in the way you sought treatment for your MS, took medications, the way you ate, exercised, etc?
            Yes!!!!! I would have pushed for answers sooner. Would have quit work a year sooner. Would have taken better care of myself and not pushed soo hard when I was younger.

Comment

Thanks for the responses!

Seasha - I dont have any regrets so far and the only thing I would have liked to have changed in the years Ive had to deal with MS is that Id try to be less stressed and worried. But my doctor said I had two lesions in the area of my brain that affects emotions, so I guess there wouldnt have been much I could have changed.

Comment

I was diagnosed with MS almost 36 yrs ago & I wouldn't do anything different. I have been grateful for having it. I know that sounds strange but I have been. I have met so many wonderful people with MS. I have had quite a few of my friends die from the complications of MS but if I got a chance to live my life over I would do the same things.

I was always close to God but it got me even closer. My children grew up with a sense of caring & more understanding of people with disabilities. They also saw me fall but also pick myself up. I have pain & fatigue with my MS & my children have seen me rise above it. They have also seen me fight like hell to keep going.

Yes, I'm grateful for MS & if I had to do it all over again I would include MS into my life. I'm not trying to sound like every day is wonderful because it's not. I didn't always like my life & I wanted to change it. The problem was I didn't know what I wanted to change it to. So I guess I'll just leave it up to God what he wants me to do. It was just simple for me.

I struggled with MS & fought against it for awhile after I was diagnosed but I found I was hurting myself. When I totally accepted that I had it life became wonderful & my MS didn't progress as fast as it was.

I am truely a very lucky person & I'm happy with my life. I wouldn't change a thing. Yesterday is a cancelled check, today is a check & tomorrow is a promisary note. I can't change the past I can only go forward.

Comment

Wonderful posts!!!

I have enjoyed reading every one the posts in this thread!

Makes me want to give myself a good kick in the rear, thank my God for all that I have, and get on with it!!!

Thanks!
                  Dx 06/07
                  Copaxone

Comment

Sometimes...

At almost 15 yrs since diagnosis I sometimes think I should have done things different but sometimes not. Two things...one when I was first diagnosed I partied alot to "drown my sorrows." I drove too fast, did things that kept me "tempting fate" and "living on the edge.........all for the excitement. It put me in harms way on one hand... but the memories I made it worth it.

The 2nd thing I maybe would have done differently was switched to another med when I quit Avonex due to side effects. The first year I went with none I started going downhill and for the last 5 yrs continually. Neuro thought nothing of me dropping Avonex and not just switching to another one because I was going to be going into SPMS after 10 yrs. I now wonder if I would be in better shape now if I had just switched.
                    Lord, keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth. Unknown

Comment

I'm with jazzgirl. I knew I had MS back in the mid-1970's when there was no treatment and nothing could be done. There MS fundraisers all the time, showing pictures of some young person in a wheelchair, asking for help in fighting "The Crippler of Young Adults"! Who would want to be diagnosed with that - all a diagnosis would do is subject you to a lot of discrimination.

So I ignored it all until I had a severe relapse in 2002 and got officially diagnosed. Before and after, I just "carpe diem" (seize the day) every chance I get, since who knows how I will be next year. Nobody with or without MS knows what tomorrow will bring, but those of us with MS recognize that is the truth.

In one old Woody Allen movie, somebody asks him if he had his life to live over, would he do anything different? He said no, except he would skip the remake of the movie "Lost Horizon." That is right, the original was much better and the remake was terrible. So I agree, the only thing I would do different is skip the remake of "Lost Horizon." Everything is has been the best, even when it wasn't so great.

Comment

If I had been diagnosed sooner, there were signs, it would have probably changed what I did. But, since things always went away, I just did what I wanted. The first major signs were in 1995. I did a lot of very good, fun things, I do not regret not being able to do them anymore. I probably would not have done anything to improve my physical condition, it has always been easy for me.

I am still somewhat active doing what I love, just did three days Scuba diving in North Carolina.
                        Bill
                        Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

Tough question

Wow, that's a lot to think about.

If only we coud control our destiny. I had serious illness during my childhood. I'd love to know what I'd be like today without that.

In adulthood, I loved being a mom and am grateful that my dh let me be home taking care of the kids while he worked. I truly feel blessed with that as I see that people today rarely have the choice or frankly, they rarely choose it.

There were a few lean times with only one income, but we managed. And yes, I did grumble about not feeling that I was a contributor and thinking it would be fun to work. I was very involved in volunteering. Mom's in my time were room mothers, went on school trips, had fund raisers for special interest groups, etc.

I did eventually work, but not until I was 44! Sometimes it was fun, sometimes it was not.

I never could find a sport or exercise program I liked or could stick to. I think it's important and I'm sorry I didn't do that.

Mostly, I would 'do over'. We don't have any clue if we'd be happier or healthier. I believe in fate I guess.

Diane
                          You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

LOVE TO TURN BACK CLOCK

If I could, I would turn back the clock 20 years. I would stay away from pesticides, household cleaners and bleach. I would have had a job that paid into SSDI for the previous 10 years of my work so I could draw DI.

Comment

i would have taken better care of myself(i did i damn good job as it was. i kept myself in good shape)now i'm trying to stay on my feet as much as i can.
                              DX's,MS,1/8/04
                              copaxone

Comment

Working...
                              X