SENIOR PATIENTS HELPING PATIENTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SENIOR PATIENTS HELPING PATIENTS

I'm a quadriplegic that requires much home care and need HELP in finding a new place to live
    I still live in the home of my old gal friend who has tried to make it somewhat accessible for me.
    She installed grab bars in her bathroom-hall-bedroom but I can’t use her bathroom safely for it is a very narrow room with an un-accessible bathtub/shower sink and commode.
    I have to park my power chair at the bathroom door and get myself 6 feet to the toilet.
    Most times I can drag my feet back and forth…but sometimes my legs can’t move at all
    Then its panic button 911 time…to get the emergency squad to lift me off the floor...THAT'S SCARY

When I first moved in with her I was able to walk ok back in 2007...As the years passed my ability to walk grew worse & worse; you know 1st the cane..then a walker..then finally the power wheelchair/scooters that I am confined to since 2010 ...all day when not in the old low soft hard to get up and out of waterbed.

The only reason she still puts up with me is the $money$ that I give her...she doesn't take my entire SS check but I do give her most of it.
    She is on Social Security and is ---partially disabled herself and needs my financial assistance--she suffers with arthritis in her knees and bad back plus obesity and can't really manage to take care of me very well...nor does she care to anymore...now she wants me out of her house.

I can't use her shower or high garden tub at all anymore because I can no longer lift my feet up to step up in or over the high sides.
    My wash ups are done now at the kitchen sink where she gives me my wash up or wash down "water boarding" once or twice a week. I really never get a through body cleaning...my feet were only washed once this year!
    THEY LOOK MUCH BETTER SINCE THEY ARE CLEAN

Since I can't use my hands or feet for much of anything anymore...I require total home care nowadays...washing-dressing-cooking -assistance getting up and out of bed...she has to help me with the pee bucket urinal in the night and in the mornings...& the bathroom wiping after bowel movements-desitin application on my bottom--external catheter installation & urine tank draining...just to name a few of the things she reluctantly does for me...

I can't afford to live in an assistive living facility or want to be in a nursing home or have a visiting angel or CNA on duty every day..to do the glucose checking etc.
    So what or who would want to be a live-in home health care worker for someone like me?

NOT MANY WOULD...IT'S A DIRTY STINKIN JOB
    And unless I can afford to pay visiting angels 20 bucks an hour or 200 dollars a day for only 10 hours...what about the other 14 hours in the day? I’m not rich..just live on my social-un-security check
    WHO CAN AFFORD 24 HOUR PERSONAL CARE? I can’t but I do perhaps need it

So what’s someone like me alternative? What should be my plan B or C? My family does not care to help me at all
    ANY IDEAS OF WHAT TO DO NEXT OR WHERE TO GO WILL BE APPRECIATED...
    MS'ers may not all walk-- but, we can still roll along-so lets rock-n-roll as a power mobility group I do have an extra scooter & Powerchair The cat or my caregiver won't ride with me so maybe you could?

I've checked back several times to see if anyone had any ideas to help you and no one has responded. I live on the other side of the USA right now so I am not familiar with local and regional possibilities, so I too have no ideas, but I can't believe there aren't some resources available. (That's the optimistic side of me) Hopefully someone will post a connection to just what you need. In the meantime, I hope you'll stay in touch.

Comment

Call your local social services and get a case worker assigned. There is either a group home or assisted living that would be available, but you will only be able to do this through a social worker.

Better the home or an assisted living take your social security vs. someone who does not care.

As a last resort, if you don't know how to get someone, lie on the floor, call 911, go to the hospital and get admitted. You will find the help you need. Probably more!

Good Luck to you!
      Katie
      "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
      "My MS is a Journey for One."
      Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Hi there, I asked a friend of mine who works for Easter Seals in one of the seniors programs (in another state) and she suggested locating your local Area Agency on Aging from the following website. They may be able to help.

http://www.eldercare.gov

Good luck .

Comment

Hi! I feel for you. I agree you need to contact your senior care in your state or county.They can at least put you in touch w/ an agency that can help.
          Keep us posted,God Bless Nona.

Comment

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE-LINKS AND GOOD LUCK

MY ANSWER TO ALL THAT GAVE ME ANY REPLYS...

I'VE BEEN PRAYIN' AND WAITIN PATIENTLY FOR SOMETHING..yes I believe that the only helping hand that anyone can count on is the one on their own arm...

...[from the old song]
            WHATEVER WILL BE WILL BE..
            THE FUTURES NOT OURS TO SEE
            ka-sa-raw --sa raw or rah?

OK-I HOPE YOU ALL DO REALIZE THAT THERE IS NOT UN-LIMITED FUNDS AVAILABLE TO ASSIST THE DISABLED AND ELDERLY...

SEE THIS WEBSITE...

**URL removed by Moderator in compliance with MSWorld Guidelines. This may be put in your Profile for all registered, logged-in members to see. Go to UserCP > Edit Details**
            MS'ers may not all walk-- but, we can still roll along-so lets rock-n-roll as a power mobility group I do have an extra scooter & Powerchair The cat or my caregiver won't ride with me so maybe you could?

Comment

Originally posted by KatieAgain View Post
              Call your local social services and get a case worker assigned. There is either a group home or assisted living that would be available, but you will only be able to do this through a social worker.

Better the home or an assisted living take your social security vs. someone who does not care.

As a last resort, if you don't know how to get someone, lie on the floor, call 911, go to the hospital and get admitted. You will find the help you need. Probably more!

Good Luck to you!

This appears to be the only choice you are going to consider giving yourself. IF you are looking for someone here to help you..well, I bet we are all looking for some sort of help, at times and yours is not unique.

Planning on uncaring persons...well, I have severed all with my family and do what I must. You MAY have to do what you must. As much as it sounds 'pretty hard,' life can be hard for able bodied people, as well.

You obviously cannot live alone without help! Plan from there...the choices are limited and should be easier to do.

Mentally ACCEPTING that FACT, is really, more of the issue, imho. I struggle daily wondering if I should be in assisted living. I am a bit more able bodied than you and 'plan' for that event.

I'd rather pay people that are being 'controlled' by an employer, than pay the 'out of control' person that needs help herself. You need more emotional help, at this point. To make better choices.

Surely, I do hope, someone has the courage to tell me that same thing, when 'my day comes.' fed

Comment

Working...
              X