Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Fear is Suffocating

Hey everyone,
    I am 21 years old, 22 in June. I have MS, or possible MS with a high chance of developing MS, depending on which doctor you talk to.

Anyways, I started this diagnosis process right after I turned 19. I was supposed to be going away to college and had to cancel because all of my testing was going on when I was supposed to leave.

I am again planning to go back to school this fall. I am so scared that something is going to go wrong again and I won't be able to go. I was literally within a week of leaving when the diagnosis process began 3 years ago. I mean now I know what is wrong with me, but there is still that fear of the unknown, of what could happen between now and August.

Can anyone relate? I know I shouldn't let fear rule my life, but its difficult not to let it get to me.

Go. Do it now. Nothing may happen and you would be upset if you didn't. Do not let fear of the unknown keep you from doing what you want. Everyone has fear of the unknown whether they have ms or not. Every day is "unknown", right?

I know it is hard not to let this get to you. I can and do relate.
    Do it in spite of ms. Do it for yourself.

Comment

Thanks Anne. I am going to get my masters degree, it will only take me 4 years because I already have 3 years. I was going to do nursing, but I changed my career goal because I want to be able to do something regardless of what happens.

Comment

Go for it! I was diagnosed the fall after I graduated with my bachelor's. I took a year off to work and save some money before going to graduate school and that's when the MS diagnosis came. I still applied to grad schools and was accepted. I was really scared about moving out of state but my at the time fiance came with me after about 6 months.

It hasn't been completely smooth sailing, but I don't think that's possible with MS. Just make sure you have a neuro lined up so if something does happen you have a professional to turn to. I wish you all the best!!
        Lori
        Betaseron 2004-2009, Tysabri 2010-2011, Copaxone 2012-2013, Tecfidera 2013...

Comment

The fear is normal- but don't let it stop you! I was Dx right in the middle of my lower level undergrad. I slogged through for a while then finally caught my footing and am not finally transferring to a 4 year school. Your school should have an office of disability services which can provide you accommodations even without a firm diagnosis or official "disability". If you fear you may struggle- check them out and see what they can do for you. Good luck!!!

Comment

Go for it! You can do it!

Also - having MS puts you in a pool for a lot of scholarships that "healthy" people aren't eligible for
            Dx RRMS 2008/Kesimpta Feb 2023
            UNbalanced Dog Trainer - Accredited pet dog training instructor

Comment

What scholarships? I can't find any and I've looked.

Comment

Scholarships

Depends on the school & also what country you live in.

Try a search for "List of Disability Scholarships." There is a list for people in Canada and the US from the Disabled World website - these aren't exhaustive as some schools themselves offer scholarships as well.
                Dx RRMS 2008/Kesimpta Feb 2023
                UNbalanced Dog Trainer - Accredited pet dog training instructor

Comment

Originally posted by Nanobaby View Post
                  Depends on the school & also what country you live in.

Try a search for "List of Disability Scholarships." There is a list for people in Canada and the US from the Disabled World website - these aren't exhaustive as some schools themselves offer scholarships as well.
                  The NMSS also offers scholarships. I was dx at 21 while in college and graduated w/ a BA. Good Luck in school, Tasha

Comment

GO
                    you never know with ms, that's the scary part and also sometimes the best part. there's no promise of pain or permanent health so i always thought you gotta just keep moving forwards.
                    i was dx right before my freshman year started and i've been extremely lucky. i know it's not like this for everybody but i've been complaint free (except for some relatively small rxns to copaxone) since my dx. Just have a plan, know who you need to call, and where you'll need to go if you do have a symptom. There's so much life to live and fun to have! Don't let the possibility of things going wrong keep you from enjoying your life.

Comment

Do it! I'm 22 and looking to go back to school for my ECE next September. I'm technically considered possible MS or will likely be getting it in the future if I don't have it now but my doctor seems quite confident about my dx. I'm also definitely crapping my pants with the fear of the unknown but even with how active my career path is going to be working with kids, I think we all owe it to ourselves to give it a try and utilize all the resources available at the chosen school.

There are definitely good days and bad days trying to deal with all of these emotions about what's going on but I think that we can't hold ourselves back because of these emotions. Good luck with school!!

Comment

Working...
                      X