Can TSA keep doing this to me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can TSA keep doing this to me?

I have had to travel quite often recently due to my mom being sick. So as I prepared to fly, I went to the TSA website to find out what I needed to travel with my Copaxone and injection device. It clearly states have the prescription label and a letter from a MD saying that I need this medication. I had both of those, but TSA proceeded to pat me down, frisk me, grope me....I felt violated. They then wiped a swab of some sort over my medication, device, the bag I keep it in, and the gloves they used to grope me to test for illegal drugs. Really....the Copaxone is individually packed and clearly as a RX medication.

Isn't this illegal? I am being singled out and violated for having a medical condition.

Hi purple butterfly and welcome to MSWorld!

I'm sorry for your incident at the airport, but let me reassure you that you weren't necessarily being singled out. I have seen and heard of lots of people going thru these same searches and not just because of meds they carry.

When I was on a DMD and traveled I never was searched or questioned. Now, I'm not on any DMD and have been searched the last two times I've traveled! I think it's just random searches. Last time, they even took me into a separate room to search and swiped my hands, then placed them in a machine to see if I had any residual "whatever" on them.....

I really was surprised as I look like the most innocent older woman around. Had to laugh at it later....

Anyway, welcome again and come back often!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

No it doesn't sound like your being singled out. It sounds like standard TSA procedures. Just about everybody gets violated. Thats pretty much what flying is these days.

Comment

TSA pretty much checks anything and everything. I don't think you were checked because of your medication, but because you were a certain number since the last check. When I was younger my sisters and I flew to Florida for spring break and I remember someone checking my younger sister's flip flop the way you had been checked. This was before shoes went through the scanner, but it seemed so strange!

I guess we should be thankful we don't have to wear flimsy robes through security and have our clothing scanned. I hate how invasive it seems, but try to remember it's for everyone's safety.
        Lori
        Betaseron 2004-2009, Tysabri 2010-2011, Copaxone 2012-2013, Tecfidera 2013...

Comment

As much as I dislike the TSA, I gotta say I don't have a problem with the swabbing of the Copaxone. If an exception was made then everyone, even bad guys, could be like "I need those fluid filled syringes 'cuz I'm sick so please don't check them."

Like PP said, it's for everyone's safety.
          Aitch - Writer, historian, wondermom. First symptoms in my teens, DX'd in my twenties, disabled in my thirties. Still the luckiest girl in the world.

Comment

It's just the times we live in. My family had been watching a lot of "In Prison Abroad", where people are mainly caught in customs smuggling drugs for cash and go to prison in foreign countries. While going through security with my family, they pulled me aside and went through my luggage. My kids got a kick out of that.

I think you shouldn't take it personally. As long as they don't say you can't bring your copaxone, then just consider it normal.

Comment

Working...
            X