21 and facing limitations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

21 and facing limitations

As this is called the "I can Relate" message board, I am sure many of you can understand being young and facing limitations when society tells us that we are in our prime.

I work as a CNA (certified nurses assistant) in a long term care facility. I have worked there for 3 years. I have been symptomatic for almost 2 years, diagnosed 3 months ago. My doctor told me I have to find a new job. She told me I can still do nursing just not in a hospital or long term care facility. My goal was to go back to nursing school in the fall.

Anyways, I was going to do an FMLA form. But I found out that if my dr even hints that I can't do my job, which I can, it's just not advised because it can be detrimental to my prognosis, my work will fire me because they can't accomodate to my needs.

Bottom line is that I am 21 and I wasn't prepared for having to change jobs and create new dreams. I feel frustrated because I don't want these limitations or unpredictability.

Oh I hear ya sister....

Hi Nicole I can "relate" to what you are going through. I too wanted to jump right into college and nursing school right out of high school. I just knew it was meant for me, I loved the idea of learning about medicine and taking care of people, essentially saving lives.

Well I was Dx just after my 19th birthday and crushed. I felt so completely lost with all my life plans. Long story short I went through IV Solumedrol treatment for 4 days, and 2 weeks later I felt better then ever.

So I went to college slowly to not overload myself with stress and in the meantime worked for 8yrs as a CNA in pretty much every department you can imagine and I LOVED IT!

Unfortunately the strain of the job got to be too much for my body to handle any longer. As you very well know the job is very fast paced and you can't always wait for another aide to come help you with patients.

I am 32 now and my dream of being a nurse is still very much alive in me but just not quite atainable yet I remain in relatively good health but I have to admit that the fear of the unknown is holding me back some.

I was not smart in waiting so long to get it done...YOU on the other hand I think are young enough to finish school and be a great nurse. Please try not to let that "what if" fear in the back of your mind creep its way out.
    If I would have known 13yrs ago that I would still be this active now.....I would have went full steam ahead with all the goals I had set for my future.

I wish you all the best and truly feel for what you are going through. If you would like to talk further with me, my email is in my profile

Comment

ok you can do your job. thats great. my olny recommendation on that would be not to work in an ER if the fast pace is what the concerns you (and your doctor)

What about working in a nursing home? or for Hospice?
      (trying to think of slower pace nursing jobs) but go back to school,evenif its part time
      Learn from yesterday
      Live for today
      Hope for tomorrow

Comment

I work in a nursing home now. She is concerned about stress, the pace, and the lifting.

Comment

I work in a nursing home now. She is concerned about stress, the pace, and the lifting.

Comment

Time for a new doctor

Comment

I do appreciate your opinion but I agree with my doctor. The physical and mental toll my job takes on my body is tremendous. All of my symptoms got extremely worse after I started this job, which landed me in the ER, and eventually lead up to my Dx. I don't think that's coincidence.

Comment

I've been working on the bariatric floor/digestive disease floor of my hospital as virtually a CNA (I have other certifications) for 2 years. I was dx 7 years ago January 4. As long as you get plenty of rest and don't over do what you know your body can do then go for it. All the nurses and my nuse manager know that I have MS and are willing to help out when I have bad days. They also know to keep certains meds that I need in case I have an episode at work and what to tell any doctors in worst case scenerioes. The place you work should be able to accomadate you. Maybe you should just find a new nursing home.

Comment

My workplace unfortunately is not one that would work with my limitations. The other day I needed to sit down because i was having problems with my legs and I couldn't because there wasnt time and things needed done. I get an appropriate amount of sleep, plus some. I guess it is different for everyone.

Comment

I would suggest going for your dream. And actually, as an RN, you can specialize in MS. There are plenty of neurology offices that actually consider having an MS nurse WITH MS a HUGE plus because they know it actually helps their patient relationships.
                    Rae Roy

Comment

Working...
                    X