choices in pregnancy and MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

choices in pregnancy and MS

I'm 29 and recently married. My husband and I are beginning to seriously think about starting a family. I had my first symptoms 2.5 years ago and a firm diagnosis a little over 2 years ago.

I did betaseron for 2 years but recently had a relapse and have switched to Copaxone 3 weeks ago.

Meanwhile, I'm at the age where ALL my friends are having kids. And, I'm really struggling. I feel like my healthy friends have it so easy. For instance, I'll see someone post an article about the miracles of breast feeding, the type of article that basically says you are a selfish mother if you don't breast feed. But, I can't help but think that these women posting these articles and extolling the wonders of breast feeding didn't have to make a choice between going back on DMDs vs breast feeding. My health vs my baby's health.

These sorts of things are getting me down. I try to keep some perspective, I do have a friend who is suffering from infertility. I watch the pain in her eyes when she sees yet another friend get pregnant.

But, the list of things to consider for before having children is so long yet MS makes it longer.

I want to be a good mother. But, I'm scared to go off drugs to get pregnant. I'm scared to not resume them so I can breast feed. I'm scared of how to waddle around pregnant with numb feet. I don't want to bring a baby into this world that I can't care for.

I know there is no way to predict anything with MS. For those of you that were diagnosed and on DMDs during childbearing times, how did you feel about making a decision?

What was your biggest concern?

How do you stop being jealous of your "healthy" friends?
    Symptoms Oct 2009, Dx Feb 2010. betaseron 2/10-2/12. Copaxone 3/12- present.

I'm suffering from this also, but Betaseron is an absolute no no while trying to conceive, pregnancy or breast feeding. I was on copaxone and will tell you that my shared solutions nurse stayed on copaxone and breasted without ever going off of it. That is a personal decision, and not all drs agree, but there are many studies going on about that now.

I am told that somehow pregnancy is the best medicine for ms and you do wonderfully even without any medications. Maybe the hormones, who knows, but that's what I'm told. Good luck. Maybe we will both be new mommies soon!
    RRMS 10/2011 Sick and tired of being sick and tired!

Comment

Can't remember

I was 19...almost 20 when I found out I had my Isabella on the way . It was a bit of a shock to say the least hehehe! I had a total of 4 kids in almost as many yrs...99, 00, 02, 03 it was after my son (last baby ) that I can remember the numb had or foot. I can't remember life before that nor can my hubby or my family.

But I was told by my Neuro or Neuros that having kids probably hid my sx for those yrs. I nursed all my kids for as long as my body would make milk...not very long but still. I wouldn't be able to trade that even now. It was something I found rewarding BUT I also understand that not everyone can or wants to do this. You need to do what is RIGHT FOR YOU. As hard as it for you to see what ppl say or might push at you, do what makes you and your hubby feel good.

Good Luck and Please remember the most important thing about being a mom...LOVE! A baby doesn't know if you nursed or had a natural delievery...at least thats what I think. There might be health benefits but your baby won't look up into your eyes and be all " I hate you mom cuz you didn't nurse me. Or I hate you for....(fill in blank)" this is a baby that needs kisses and hugs and lovely words spoken. Remember that!

isamadjul
      (allyson)
      DX 10/10, JCV postitive by a lot (said Nuero lol), Betaerson, Gilenya, Tecifidera, Aubagio now on Ocerevus

Comment

Pregnancy and M.S.

I was DX with MS when I was 3 months pregnant with Twins, lol. I decided to wait until after the babies were born before beginning my Rebif regiment. I was told by my Neuro that my while Pregnant my M.S. will be put into a remission state, however it could come back with a vengence after their birth. I did suffer "HELPPS" Syndrome with my pregancy, if that has anything to do with my M.S. I do not know. And had to have an Emergency C. But I love having my twins.

Comment

I was diagnosed in my early 20's. I had my daughter (now 3) when I was 27 and am now 9 months pregnant with my second. My MS is pretty mild. I've only had 4 or 5 relapses in 8 years so I think I've been really lucky. Also, the only thing I have to take medication for is the fatigue associated with MS (mine is really bad).

I was on Betaseron until about 6 weeks into my first pregnancy because it was a "surprise" and for my second I was on Copaxone because I knew I wanted another child and this drug is safer with pregnancy. Both pregnancies were normal but I DO NOT recommend staying on betaseron while trying to conceive because it is dangerous and there was a lot of anxiety at my first ob visit!

I breastfed for 8 weeks with my 1st (they recommend 6 months) but I figured anything was better than nothing. I don't know how long I'll breastfeed with this next one. I want to say 6 weeks, but I'm not sure if I will after I leave the hospital. There are basically two opinions on breastfeeding. One is that there is no difference and the other is that all babies should be breastfed the 1st year.

I think breastfeeding is great, but it's not practical for me. I'm not a stay at home mom, I have to take medication to keep me functional, it hurts, etc. You have to decide where you stand on this issue and do what's best for you and your family.

Essentially, don't worry about everyone else! If you want a baby don't let your MS hold you back especially if your neurologist is okay with your being pregnant.

Good luck making this decision!
          Lori
          Betaseron 2004-2009, Tysabri 2010-2011, Copaxone 2012-2013, Tecfidera 2013...

Comment

I am 26 and on January 6 I went to the ER for leg numbness and weakness, I found out I was 6 weeks pregnant and I was still taking my Rebif at this point. I have stopped all meds and I feel pretty good. I have no pain and Have a little more energy. I was worried what the effects of the Rebif would have on my little bundle of joy and so far everything seems wonderful; Praise GOD!

My Doctor told me I have a 50% chance of having a relapse after I have given birth but he suggested to breastfeed for at least 3 months without meds and if I am doing well continue. I plan to breastfeed and pump as much as I can Just incase I would have to go back on my meds.

Good luck it's a hard spot to be in.

Comment

cranberrysauce

I would do anything for a baby. However my BF thinks I shouldnt.Please keep me up dated on how you do. Best of luck.

I have heard the same that pregnancy is a good thing.

Its hard when people you know are Pregnant, it seems like all my friends are having a baby and now 2 people at work.

Comment

I was having a terrible time with my MS relapse after another leg was numb for a year and alot of cognative problems.
                I had went for a routine appt and learned I was pregnant so I stopped all medications at once. In about the 2nd month of pregnancy I was feeling great and by month 4 I could feel my leg again. I had a great pregnancy and felt "normal" again
                Both my neuro and ob told me that since I had spinal lesions that I was at higher risk to have relapse if I recieved an epidural or spinal during delivery. So of course I was scared to death since I had an epidural with my previous 2 children. I will tell you nothing was better to me than the natural delivery, wished I had done it with the other two.
                After that i breastfeed for 2 months. I did 5 consecutive days of IVIG starting the day after birth and then once a month while nursing. Still felt amazing!!
                Then all of a sudden optic neuritis and stopped nursing, took steroids and went on Rebif.
                Even though some days are hard with the fatigue, I wouldnt change it for anything. My daughter was the only child of the 3 I breastfeed. I am still found new lesion recently but still not as a bad as i was before i was pregnant.

Comment

I was 30 whenI got diagnosed with MS after my first child

I was 30 when I got diagnosed and already had my first child. That didn't stop me. I decided to have another child four years later knowing I had MS. My MS symptoms got better when I was pregnant. I didnt have fatigue. I was really careful to not put on a lot of weight. I had second child naturally. The first one I had a C-section. So what I'm saying it can be done, you have to take the chance. Kind of like, making the decison of going on Tysabri. Talk to your neuro and see what he or she says and read and check out this site. Get as much info you can. It can be done. It was the best thing I've ever done. I love my kids, they are great helpers and now they are 16 and 20.

Comment

Thank you all for help. It makes me feel better to know thier is other people who have done this.

Comment

Hey Cranberrysauce! Great name
                      Now that I finally opened my mouth I can't seem to shut up. Yours is another post that I've been following for awhile. I don't see any recent update on your decision.
                      As an "old" lady on the far side of having children- my youngest is almost 18 and the two older (26 & 23) have one child each, so yeah, I'm a Grandma, I just wanted to say the more you plan and worry, the more you'll convince yourself you're never READY for a child.
                      It's odd also, that alot of women (men too) my age (51) like to second guess themselves after the fact. I know people my age group that never had children that wish they had, and those that had one or more that wish (so they say now) they hadn't.
                      Personally I'm thrilled that I had my girls even though one of them isn't the person she had the potential to be. I would NEVER wish to have not had her!
                      I would just caution you not to wait too long. SOME women with MS seem to have early menopause. MOST Dr's (from my experience) will say it's not related, but the coincedence to me is troubling in the numbers.

Loveandlifel-Shouldn't you be having a baby soon? How are THINGS??

Comment

Hi!

I'm a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants kind of girl so making the decision to TTC was pretty easy. After 5 years on Rebif I stopped taking it 3 months before my 35th birthday. We got lucky and got pregnant that first month.

I nursed DS for 1.5 years before going back on Rebif and was on the Rebif for 6 months before TTC #2. Again, we got very lucky by conceiving quickly.

My second son is due in a little over a month and I'm more disabled than I was when I decided to have kids 4 years ago, but I wouldn't change a thing. I only plan to nurse New Baby for 3 months so I can get back into treatment(not sure what yet), but I love being a mom, have supportive family and friends and a husband who is an absolute saint. Because of all that my jealousy is short lived.

Good luck!
                        Aitch - Writer, historian, wondermom. First symptoms in my teens, DX'd in my twenties, disabled in my thirties. Still the luckiest girl in the world.

Comment

More to come (after 9 months)!

This question comes up all the time here at MSW. I assume it's because MS doesn't usually hit until the childbearing years, and does not effect fertility, so the choice is a personal one.

Just wanted to point something out. When I was complaining about my pregnancy discomfort (did not have M.S. then, or if I did, I didn't know it) I remember my boss with 3 kids telling me, "remember this is only 9 months...it's the easy part"! Boy was she correct about that. The first challenge was the daycare. I loved being a walking, talking womb for 9 months and knowing my baby was safe and with me every minute of every day.

There were more challenges after those mere 9 months of pregnancy. Something everyone new Mom needs to be prepared for. Good luck with your decision!
                          Tawanda

Comment

My ms symptoms were the best when I was pregnant. I had my first child 2 years Agoand have been diagnosed for 8. Like I said my symptoms were alleviated and I finally found out what it was like not to be exhausted all the time. When everyone else was telling me how tired they were in their first trimester I was telling them I had so much energy. I also breastfeed for about 7 months and didn't go back on my meds until after I was finished. My neuro said that there is something in the pregnancy hormones that alleviates me symptoms for most people and that includes through breast feeding as you are still getting those hormones. There is the chance that you will have a relapse after you give birth, but then there is always that chance anyway, right? Such a crazy unpredictable disease, I wouldn't hold myself back if it's something you want

Comment

Working...
                            X