Please make it stop!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please make it stop!

I mentioned this on here once before and found some others who experienced it to some degree.

Some described it as having tingles/vibrations/etc. in the "girlie parts." I, too, thought it was kind of fun at first, and then annoying. However, it has reached an all-time "high" of more than annoyance and/or distraction. It's not funny anymore.

I did an internet search and found what I think I have: Persistent Sexual Arousal Syndrome. Turns out that some women have been suffering (yes, suffering IS the right word) from this since before 2000 (meaning that it has been reported to doctors as early as this). It was even the subject of a 20/20 episode and has been discussed on Fox news.

I read on one link that Trazodone had been known to cause it in some women. I was prescribed that medication quite awhile back to help as a sleep aid; my perimenopause sx included waking in the wee hours and not being able to go back to sleep. At first, I only took it sometimes; was worried about taking it too much b/c I found out it was an anti-anxiety medication. I started taking it regularly sometime in the past year.

My first sx of this unfun syndrome began in the summer. I thought it was great that I had regained my "libido" and couldn't wait to start rekindling some sparks with my hubby. Now, however, I join the ranks of some women who wish they were numb from the waist down or that they could have all of those "parts" removed. It makes me cry b/c I get no relief.

Reading up on a lot of information and trying to get my pcp (or the endocrinologist I will be seeing) to help me find some solutions. I'm hoping that this week (which has been torture) is worse b/c of my period. The first thing I DID do was to stop taking the Trazodone, but I also read that stopping that medication is no guarantee of relief. Saw some write-ups that mentioned neurontin as a possible treatment.

Anyone else know anything helpful?? This is a very embarrassing, yet very real and awful thing to experience. Any information you can share may be helpful.

Thanks.

Hi readingteacher:
    You've done your research, but in trying to get some relief for yourself, you may be operating under assumptions that aren't true. By your own description, you're diagnosing yourself based only on symptoms and news stories. Neither one of those is the basis for diagnosis or treatment.

You have information, but it sounds like you may be overlooking or misinterpreting some important things.

Trazodone is not a medication that should be stopped suddenly! (Did you do enough research to find that out?) If you think you're feeling agitated now, just wait until you hit full trazodone withdrawal. Then what are you going to do?

You already know how awful your situation is. It requires thorough, professional workup, diagnosis and treatment, beyond Internet suspicions and trolling for helpful suggestions. From your reading you've probably found that getting relief might be a complex, long-term, multidisciplinary undertaking. I hope you don't delay by trying to dabble with circumstances yourself (like stopping trazodone suddenly when you may not be prepared to deal with the withdrawal effects), and that you're you're able to get started on a professional course quickly.

Comment

Redwings,

You are right. I do need to have a doctor check things out. I already gave a "heads-up" to my own pcp (via the nurse over the phone on Friday). I've already discussed it with her at one appointment. She couldn't see anything out of the ordinary and I felt a bit dismissed. Either she or the MS nurse prescribed Lidocaine ointment; doesn't help at all.

I also mentioned it to my neurologist a few months ago. He suggested Sustaine and Wellbutrin; the first - another topical analgesic, and the second, an AD, of course. I'm already on 20 mg. of Lexapro for my perimenopause.

I did realize that SSRIs cannot be stopped without dr. approval, but I guess I didn't think of Trazodone in that same light. After your comments, I did take the liberty of calling my pharmacist and asking if I was harming myself by stopping cold turkey.

She told me that Trazodone is an older medication than the newer ADs. Therefore, it is most often prescribed for help with sleep. She said that if I were to have any horrible effects from stopping it, they would have been within the first 24 hours. She did caution me against ever just stopping my Lexapro; I WOULD be in a terrible fix if I did that.

Still wondering which is the best doctor to help with this situation (pcp, endocrinologist, neurologist, etc.). Hoping it will calm itself, at least some, as I restart my BC pill tomorrow. Thank you for sharing your honest concerns with me.

Comment

This is the sort of thing I didn't like when I was first dx'd.
        Call only the gyn pcp, or nuero for the problem.
        How was I to know if it was perimenopausal, something else, or neurological?
        They are the drs. Let them tell me
        Post menopause is SO nice
        techie
        Another pirated saying:
        Half of life is if.
        When today is bad, tomorrow is generally a better day.
        Dogs Rule!

Comment

Techie,
          I have to admit that I'm quite jealous of the post menopause thing. That being said, the condition I've been describing doesn't seem to care if you are post menopausal.

Comment

Working...
          X