trip to urologist...ouch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

trip to urologist...ouch

Yeah it hurt! He gave me a cytoscopy. Thats where the stick a tiny camera inside your urethra.
    So now they want to give me a urodynamics test. Anyone ever heard of it? More to the point, does it hurt?
    ~seeuinct (Connecticut)
    Dx the first time: 10/25/11
    Avonex 1/12-10/12
    Revaluation of Dx 10/12
    Rediagnosis 7/14

Yowza, sounds like something I never want done! I've had urodynamics test. They put some electrodes in place to monitor functioning, then they filled my bladder up and I was to say when I felt full. My bladder would spasm and leak, so for me that was the uncomfortable part. It was obvious I was getting the signal that I was full very late. The technician would relieve my discomfort very quickly, so not too bad as far as discomfort.

Not fun, but I wouldn't hesitate to have it done again if I need to.

Comment

I've had a cystoscopy and the urodynamics test.

The urodynamics test takes longer...I wouldn't say it hurts but it's a bit peculiar and uncomfortable.

The cystoscopy is over so quick it seemed to be the "easier" of the two...but I do think there's more "ouch" to the cystoscopy than to the urodynamics test.

Comment

as with the others, not painful really just a bit strange but i would not hesitate if they said i needed another and it does help them work out the best medications etc to use rather than trial and error

Comment

Is it for females and males? What does it measure? Why do they give the test?
          [I]Tellnhelen
          Progressive Relapsing MS

Comment

It doesn't hurt but I found having to urinate in front of the radiologist difficult. I told him it was "performance anxiety", he laughed and left the room. The tech was female.

The studies are for both males and females. It measure the amount of pressure in your bladder, can tell if you are retaining urine. Basically, they can check to see how all the plumbing is working.
            Jodi
            "If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude". Maya Angelou

Comment

I just came from a UroGyn today. I have to have both tests in a week and a renal ultrasound tomorrow.
              I also found out that I have a severe prolapse, will have to have surgery.....and that may be my reasons for the urinary issues. He said it is very difficulty to tell what is causing what.
              Anyone else have to have a prolapse fixed? makes me real nervous.
              DX: RRMS Jan 2010 -- LDN: Mar 2010-Dec 2010, Tysabri: Feb 2011 reaction, Gilenya: Aug 2011 reaction, Copaxone: Oct 2011 reaction, Tecfidera: May 2013 reaction

Comment

Originally posted by daisy.girl View Post
                I just came from a UroGyn today. I have to have both tests in a week and a renal ultrasound tomorrow.
                I also found out that I have a severe prolapse, will have to have surgery.....and that may be my reasons for the urinary issues. He said it is very difficulty to tell what is causing what.
                Anyone else have to have a prolapse fixed? makes me real nervous.
                I'm the "prolapse queen"...don't think that's a title anyone wants to have. All my prolapses have been of sudden onset, and blamed on MS, which is gives us a predisposition toward them.

In 2007 had a uterine prolapse, that resulted in needing a hysterectomy. I did get a cystocele repair and a sling at that time, and it improved 90 percent of my urinary problems that had been blamed on MS by my urologist (urogyns are the best, by the way.)

in 2010, everything else that could prolapse did, and I had what my surgeon called "the deluxe" surgery and had them all repaired at once. So far so go. Everything has held...just had an appt. with the urogyn the other day. Unfortunately, I continue to have frequent UTIs and nobody can figure that one out.

Going to see a neuro urologist next week to see if we can get a handle on it.

The prolapse surgery, if done by a competent urogyn is okay. It's not a walk in the park, but it didn't flair my MS. And as I said, the cystocele repair and sling cured most of my MS problems that had been blamed on retention and retention overflow. It is quite a lengthy recovery, and lots of restrictions, don't pick up things heavier than 5 lbs, etc.

If you have specific questions about the surgery, just let me know.

Comment

thanks so much for your reply! I had NO idea that MS made us more likely to have a prolaspe.....do you know why?

The UroGyn, said I would have to have abdominal surgery, not the vaginal one. He said mine is severe, with the back wall of and uterus outside my body....He did say that it would require a hysterectomy too.

Oh boy...like we don't have enough already!!
                  DX: RRMS Jan 2010 -- LDN: Mar 2010-Dec 2010, Tysabri: Feb 2011 reaction, Gilenya: Aug 2011 reaction, Copaxone: Oct 2011 reaction, Tecfidera: May 2013 reaction

Comment

Originally posted by daisy.girl View Post
                    thanks so much for your reply! I had NO idea that MS made us more likely to have a prolaspe.....do you know why?

The UroGyn, said I would have to have abdominal surgery, not the vaginal one. He said mine is severe, with the back wall of and uterus outside my body....He did say that it would require a hysterectomy too.

Oh boy...like we don't have enough already!!
                    The reason we're more likely to be affected by prolapse is the same reason you can have weakness in any limb or other part of your body. The nerves to the area (in this case pelvic floor) may be affected and therefore not getting the right signal...thus causing weakness in those muscles that support the pelvic floor...voila, prolapse. A prolapse is caused by a weakness in the muscle that supports the structure, be it bladder, uterus, rectum, etc.

I was able to have all my repairs vaginally, so that does speed up healing. I'd ask this question though...how does he propose to support the remaining organs if he finds your musculature is weak in the pelvic floor because of your MS. The standard method is to just use the existing musculature for support. But with MS that's not always possible. Since he's using the abdominal approach he'll be able to secure things to your sacrum, I believe, if he feels it's necessary. You might want to read up on the different types of procedures, so you can ask him questions...it could prevent future surgeries down the road. Also sometimes they use grafts, and mesh to help support the structures.

Here's a pretty good article on prolapses and a quote under what increases your risk:

Diseases of the nervous system. Pelvic organ prolapse is more common in women who have multiple sclerosis, muscular dystrophy, or a spinal cord injury than in women who do not have such condition

http://www.cigna.com/individualandfa...se-tv1000.html

Hope you have a speedy recovery!

Comment

thanks so much....
                      Yes, he said he would use mesh and attach it to my sacrum. He said the chance of reoccurance is higher with the vaginal procedure, because they do not have a place to secure the musculature. He definitely recommended the abdominal procedure, said it is laproscopic but robotic....different then a standard laproscopic surgery.
                      thanks for the links, I am going to go read them now.

Comment

Working...
                      X