PARTIAL HYSTERECTOMY???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PARTIAL HYSTERECTOMY???

Have anyone had a partial hysterectomy to help with menopausal symptoms?

I am thinking of having one done. My cycles are irregular. I skipped 3 months and thought I was done with having cycles and lo and behold it starts back up :0(

I really do think menopause is causing my ms to be a bit worst at times.. not sure if its ms or menopause but I do believe hormones does play a role with ms.

I have muscle tightness, stiffness, muscle aches.. I hear a lot of women going through peri-meno and menopause having the same issues.

Anyone had a hysterectomy and got some relief from menopausal symptoms?? I don't have hot flashes so that is not a problem. Thanks to all that respond.

Ms. Jay

Awwwwww... no responses... Awwwwww...

Ms. Jay

Comment

I believe a partial hysterectomy is removal of the uterus only. While it can be a nuisance , your uterus doesn't affect your hormones. The ovaries are responsible for the monthly fluctuations we get to experience.

If you remove the ovaries you will go into sudden menopause and many women begin hormone replacement therapy to combat the symptoms. If your goal is to get rid of the ups and downs, you may be able to do it with hormone pills rather than surgery. Your PCP should be able to help you with this.

C

Comment

Originally posted by Carol View Post
        I believe a partial hysterectomy is removal of the uterus only. While it can be a nuisance , your uterus doesn't affect your hormones. The ovaries are responsible for the monthly fluctuations we get to experience.

If you remove the ovaries you will go into sudden menopause and many women begin hormone replacement therapy to combat the symptoms. If your goal is to get rid of the ups and downs, you may be able to do it with hormone pills rather than surgery. Your PCP should be able to help you with this.

C
        Thanks Carol.. I'm already in menopause according to my doc.. she did a hormonal test back in November 2011. She told me my cycles will be stopping soon. I thought when I missed (3) months.. they were stopped.

Not 100% sure if I am going to have the Hyster.... don't want to trade one set of problems for another. But I will go to my appt and see what the doc/surgeon have to say.

Thanks for responding.

Jay

Comment

Big surgery

Having a hysterectomy is a major surgery, whether partial or total. I'd check out other options before having one. Years back OB/GYN doctors would gladly do this surgery for you, but now they are more informed - at least I hope so.

Comment

I had everything out but one ovary. Doc didnt want me going thru menopause at 38, but I did. So now I get to go thru it twice! When the last ovary quits working... I'd do the meds instead of such a big surgery, especially seeing as your already going thru it. Best of luck to you

Comment

As a former insurance company executive, I'd add that unless there is a sound medical reason for removing your uterus, most insurance companies will not pay the bill for a hysterectomy.

As Carol mentioned, it is the ovaries that produce hormones, so if you have a hormone problem, removing the uterus won't make a difference in a hormone problem.

Comment

Had a partial some years back due to fibroids....but now I think I would NOT have it. If your bleeding is caused by fibroids you might be able to get it fixed without REMOVING any parts except the fibroids...think its called caulderization...check with your doc.
                [I]Tellnhelen
                Progressive Relapsing MS

Comment

TOTAL HYSTERECTOMY

I HAVE HOT FLASHES, BUT NO PERIOD. IT IS STRANGE BUT I HAD TO HAVE IT BECAUSE MY PERIOD WAS HEAVY EVERY MONTH. NOW, I HAVE MS BUT I KNOW THAT THE HYSTERECTOMY DID NOT CAUSE MS.

Originally posted by futurmil2b View Post
                  Have anyone had a partial hysterectomy to help with menopausal symptoms?

I am thinking of having one done. My cycles are irregular. I skipped 3 months and thought I was done with having cycles and lo and behold it starts back up :0(

I really do think menopause is causing my ms to be a bit worst at times.. not sure if its ms or menopause but I do believe hormones does play a role with ms.

I have muscle tightness, stiffness, muscle aches.. I hear a lot of women going through peri-meno and menopause having the same issues.

Anyone had a hysterectomy and got some relief from menopausal symptoms?? I don't have hot flashes so that is not a problem. Thanks to all that respond.

Ms. Jay

Comment

Working...
                  X