Starting my own support group

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting my own support group

I am SO excited and this probably doesn't belong here but it's about women!

I just got off the phone with NMSS and after alot off talk I have decided to start my own Women's Support group. It will take place in daytime hours. Maybe a luncheon or something.

I am SO SO EXCITED!

Hope your Support Group really takes off. You can meet the most wonderful people this way!

I started one years ago (although mine is very co-ed - about 50-50). Every meeting teaches me something new.

Bless you!

Comment

Good luck!

That's fabulous! I have often thought of doing the same, but am afraid I don't have the energy to make it a success.

Let me know how it goes, I just might find the energy!

Comment

Originally posted by itlgoddess View Post
        I am SO excited and this probably doesn't belong here but it's about women!

I just got off the phone with NMSS and after alot off talk I have decided to start my own Women's Support group. It will take place in daytime hours. Maybe a luncheon or something.

I am SO SO EXCITED!
        That is wonderful... I thought about that as well. Mine would be focusing on women having MS and going through peri-menopause and menopause.

I am still thinking about doing it.. it may be more so an online support group. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ms. Jay

Comment

I filled out all their required paperwork and waiting now for the backround check (which I have no worries). I am enrolled in training March 24-25. My first meeting is to take place May 9th.
          My group is just for the ladies. I heard there are other groups starting - Couple's, Caregivers and Men's. There was definitely a need.

My idea starting this group was to be social. Let's do something fun! - that's my theme!

So I'm thinking of monthly meeting that's a girls day out. Get away for a little while and attend a luncheon with other's familiar with this disease. Share some tips and laugh at some of the stupid stuff we do.

What you think? I'm looking for ideas

Comment

Originally posted by itlgoddess View Post
            I filled out all their required paperwork and waiting now for the backround check (which I have no worries). I am enrolled in training March 24-25. My first meeting is to take place May 9th.
            My group is just for the ladies. I heard there are other groups starting - Couple's, Caregivers and Men's. There was definitely a need.

My idea starting this group was to be social. Let's do something fun! - that's my theme!

So I'm thinking of monthly meeting that's a girls day out. Get away for a little while and attend a luncheon with other's familiar with this disease. Share some tips and laugh at some of the stupid stuff we do.

What you think? I'm looking for ideas
            That sounds great :0) You may want to have different speakers come in maybe a Neuro, etc. to answer questions, etc.

Not to be negative in any way.. but the down side to a group setting is if you have a few ladies that is having a REALLY hard time with their MS and sharing their horror stories of what they are going through... That's one reason I will not attend a group setting. Now if they were positive stories and everyone in the group was doing good.. then that would be the group for me.

Sounds like you want a more positive group setting which if you could keep it in that direction that would be GREAT.... I would definitely attend.

I wish you well and I am sure everything will work out for you.. Congrats to you.

Comment

Thank you futurmil2b!

Yes, I wanna bring that little ray of sunshine to the group.

We talked about bring speakers. I was thinking maybe we would do lunch once a quarter and have speakers at 3 meetings. We will see what the group wants.

I stayed of the boards for a long time because of the negativity. I feel we need something positive in our lives with SO much uncertainty with MS.

Comment

We have a couple of groups in my area, but the thing is, they take place during the day. Um, people WORK during the day, even if we're on SSDI (like that pays the bills).
                ~Kim in NV~ Dx RRMS on the Spring Equinox 2008 , at age 44. *Aubagio* That which does not kill us only makes us stronger

Comment

Working...
                X