Pregnancy-in vitro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pregnancy-in vitro

So, I know a lot of people will probably highly disagree with this. I really want to start a family and in fact, was diagnosed just 3.5 mths after we got married. I started on copaxone right away, but had bad reactions and I had to stop. While trying to get approved for my new medication, I had another relapse. I'm now terrified to be off of my medication for too long because with each relapse, I'm getting worse with almost no full healing of symptoms.

This is what leads me to want to do in vetro fertilization. If we try naturally, I have to be off of my new medication for at least two months before we even try, and there is no guarantee how long the natural way will take. Im terrified that ill have another relapse while not on the medication. Do any of you ladies have any advice? My life's dream is to be a mom. I don't want to give that dream up. Please help.......
    RRMS 10/2011 Sick and tired of being sick and tired!

My kids, now five years old, are IVF babies.

I am totally in favor of you becoming a mom so long as you have a good support system with friends and family in case you flare with a newborn. I'm sure you and your spouse have thought of that, but I have to say it all the same.

The thing about IVF is that it doesn't always work--there is no guarantee here, either. The success rates are really quite good if you are under 35, reasonably healthy, and have good eggs, etc. Even so, the success rates are still in the 40% range as a whole, I believe, although it depends on the clinic. So, it is probable that you will have to do more than once cycle. It is also tremendously expensive, very stressful, and involves lots of injections to manipulate your hormones. Hormone levels definitely play into MS, so you'd absolutely want to make sure your neurologist is on board with you doing this.

I know you're just asking for input here, and without knowing your age, etc. all I can do is speculate, but I'd suggest you try naturally for at least a few months. There is a book called Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Wexler that gives an incredible amount of data about how to maximize pregnancy chances by tracking ovulation, etc.

I'm here to cheer you on no matter what you decide, but IVF isn't easy; it's actually incredibly stressful and hard on your body, and it isn't a guaranteed success. On the plus side, since you're used to injections already, those (2-3/day at the end) will be a breeze. I'm happy to answer any questions you have about it, or other fertility treatments; been there, done that, happy to help.

Comment

Im 32. I want to have babies soon before it gets too late. I know it can take sometimes years naturally so I'm just scared that now I might not be able to do it.

Comment

90% of couples will conceive in less than a year, fortunately. Anything beyond that meets the definition of infertility. I've known far more couples who got pregnant their first month or two than who took anywhere near a year. FWIW, I'm 35, so I'm talking about the same age group and older. Yes, it can take years, but that is actually pretty rare if you time intercourse with ovulation. I believe "years" is less than 3% of the population if you time things properly, in fact.

Ultimately, you have to do what works best for you two as a couple, and if that is IVF or just plain old sex, it's all good. It's just important to be aware that IVF takes a few months to ramp up to with testing, timing your cycle, etc., and it's more likely that you will have to do more than one cycle to conceive than it is that you will get pregnant the first time. If your cyce is not a success, there are additional months of waiting to start a new one.

Long story short, it's not a quick solution to having a child, and it's really, really difficult to go through. It may very well be the best choice for you, but you need to have your eyes wide open about the procedure.

I think being afraid of how long it could take is very normal, and extra stressful with MS in the picture, and I hope that no matter what route you take, that you conceive quickly and healthily.

Comment

I've been where you are

I can relate to your post. I was diagnosed at 27 and the MS really became a problem quickly. I was having flares every couple of months and was miserable. My husband and I had decided to wait a couple of years before trying for kids but, after consulting with family (who needed to be in board with our plans in case i needed help) and my neurologist, we decided to start trying when I was 29.

We got pregnant within 6 months but had a miscarriage. I don't know what DMD you are on but I was on Avonex, which carries a risk of miscarriage within 6 months of stopping the drug. Anyways, I ended up pregnant again within 6 months and felt fabulous the entire time I was pregnant. My son was born and I didn't have any relapses. I really wanted to breastfeed but the neurologist thought 3 months should be my max. I started back on my DMD's and did fairly well.

I know have 3 kids and am so happy I made the decision to have them! Yes, I felt like I was taking a risk with my health (although fortunently I did well) and could potentially pass this disease on. However, the risk of passing this disease on is low and I was struck by a comment on another post on this site- "I would rather have been born then never experienced life."

I refused to let MS live my life for me. If, as Alicious mentioned, you have family support, understand the potential risks and have made an informed decision you still need to live your dreams. It is not always easy, it's downright exhausting (especially with MS!) but it is so rewarding to have kids. I know not everyone will agree with me and I'm not in your position but don't let this disease make all of your decisions for you.

Best of luck to you!

Comment

Thank you so much everyone. I think natural is still the best way for me then. I was just terrified and was mislead on the invetro process and how long it took. It's so wonderful to have so many people to be able to talk to and I really appreciate each of you for taking the time to reply to this thread.

Comment

I am glad you got some great info and help and support...

Good luck to you !!
              Peace ~~ Kat

Comment

One nice thing about natural is that you can always change your mind and pursue fertility treatment down the road if you change your mind.

Comment

Working...
                X