Post Partum Treatments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Post Partum Treatments

What do you do when you have a flare up post partum? I can't imagine taking care of my 5 month old while having a hep-lock in my arm for three days of solu-medrol. Is there anything else? I've been having numbness in my feet for a couple of months now and walking just a short distance has become exhausting.

Hi superpam:
    Are you more concerned about the Solu-Medrol or the hep-lock? If it's the hep-lock -- and if you have 2 or 3 useful veins somewhere in your hands and arms -- you can skip it, get stuck fresh each time and have the needle taken out after each infusion. That's what I always do, and have for the last 15 years. It's the only reason I still have a few veins left to work with after all this time. (There's no reason for me to leave a hep-lock in, irritating a vein for 48 hours, when I'm actually using it for only about 3 of them.) No hep-lock, no hindrance.

If you're more concerned about the Solu-Medrol, a steroid in some form is the only treatment option. There are options for the form of steroid used, but no substitute for steroids. Of those forms, IV Solu-Medrol may be the easiest, all things considered. Even easier without the hep-lock.

Comment

Good to know. I was concerned about the hep-lock but I'll ask about getting stuck in a new place each time. I didn't know they would do that. Thanks!

Comment

I've had solu-medrol twice and never had a hep-lock. But I've got some good veins.
        Aitch - Writer, historian, wondermom. First symptoms in my teens, DX'd in my twenties, disabled in my thirties. Still the luckiest girl in the world.

Comment

I had a round of IVIG's post-partum and it really helped. After my secon son I had a terrible relapse about 6 months pp. I had the IVIG's after my next two children and did not have a problem. I hope you will feel better!
          Busy mom of 3 little red heads!!!
          Diagnosed RRMS - May 2005

Comment

samandmattsmom, you bring up a good point about IVIG. Whether IVIG is effective in treating active flares is controversial (research has shown no compelling evidence that it is), but it might be helpful for symptoms that have been hanging around for a couple of months. Worth looking into. And IVIG can be given without a hep-lock, too.

Comment

Working...
            X