Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it really constipation or something else?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know why this is so hard to discuss for all of us and yet it is. I finally worked up the nerve to talk to my GP. When I talked to him,, I was having lingering issues from my last relapse. I'd go a bit (normally at work, tyvm!) without knowing it was happening.

The other problem is just plain not having a bowel move-ment. He really didn't believe that I've had periods of up to 3 + weeks, with out evacuating my bowels. There was just no urge to. I'd even go in and set aside a block of time, but nothing, no urge at all.

He told me that the rectum has amazing muscles and that they (Drs) aren't real clear on how your body can work 2 different sets of muscles. The first muscle, at the top of your rectum, is an involuntary muscle, the other at the end of the rectum, is a voluntary one. He says it's amazing that you can pass gas through and yet not let fecal matter through. (for non ms'ers)

Anyway's the problems have resolved for me now, to the most part. Good luck to you all with this problem.

Comment

Wow. All I can say is thank you...to all the people who have posted here. The constipation issue is a complicated one... and kind of personal and difficuly to discuss. I'm so glad I am not the only one who is dealing with these issue. I really don't talk about this with anyone... The prepH, gloves, etc. .... well... me too. Sometimes it's the only way I can go and never in a million years would think to talk about that with anyone. I'm sorry we are having to go through these things...but I sure do feel a little bit better knowing there are others out there dealing with it too. thanks guys!

Comment

Not having a bowel movement can really preoccupy your mind! I changed my diet and it caused pooping problems for months. I can't imagine years.

I know some with ms have problems with their bowels, so I don't know what is done specifically for that issue.

But if the drs checked you out and there is no blockage, (and it's not ms induced) have you tried anything for moving your bowels better? There are some teas. One I used is called Smooth Move and let me tell you, it was a smooth move afterward! My dr recommended Miralax, which I used a couple of times with good results.

On Tara's Nutrition and Supplement board, constipation was discussed, and she recommended a sea salt water flush. I did this and was much relieved. Maybe it will help movement problems caused by ms.

1/2 teaspoon sea salt with 8 ounces of warm water first thing in the morning. Lie back down on your right side for 15 minutes, then get up for your day. It may take a while. Make sure it is sea salt! Ordinary table salt won't do. A health food store should have sea salt.
        And you lie on your right side because the stomach opens on the right so the fluids move into the intestines faster.
        She said 3 weeks and I was doing much better after 3 weeks.

This really worked for me. I felt like dancing! Anyway, if there are no blockages, try it.

Comment

Yep, I have this problem. The chute is full and there is no amount of pushing that gets results. I take a Tuck's pad and wrap it over my index finger and go in for the removal......

If it seems I'm too constipated, I take two generic stool softener pills before bed. I find the stool softener without stimulant is better for me.

My dd had a long period of constipation problems, the doc had her taking Miralax up to 3 times a day. After several months she reduced the amount per day down to twice, then once. She hasn't needed it in a long time now.

Glad to see the sea salt solution posted again. I may try that!

Comment

I was just reading this thread over again and it dawned on me, I also have the lack of "push power" when it comes to urinating. In my pre MS days if I was in a hurry, I could force, ie "push", urine out quickly. Since MS, it comes as it comes, so to speak, and sometimes it takes an infuriatingly long time to empty my bladder...and all I can do is sit there and wait to finish. there's no hurrying up the process...once again, there's no push power. Probably very similar problem to when we have no push in our muscles to have a bowel movement.

Comment

I haven't been on these boards in a long time, but I've been having the same symptoms as so many of you, the failure of being able to push which leads not only to chronic constipation, but also to the bladder being blocked. I am so relieved to see that I'm not the only one with this very frustrating problem.

It's bad enough not being able to walk & my good right hand now showing weakness problems. Can't we at least be able to go to the bathroom like other people?

Thanks for the tips - I'm going to try the sea salt & water.
              ~ Becky

Comment

So, we bought the individually wrapped prunes and I ate 4 of them yesterday. Act of desperation and combined with plenty of water, finally had success.

Got a bag of apples and tangerines from the store, and will be picking up some oatmeal and high fiber grocery items tonite.

I'm going to try to manage this naturally and develop a routine of healthy eating and hydration.
                Dx: 2/3/12. 6-8 lesions right medulla/cervical spine. GLATIRAMER ACETATE 40 mg 1/19, medical marijuana 1/18. Modafinil 7/18, Women's multivitamin, Caltrate + D3, Iron, Vitamin C, Super B Complex, Probiotics, Magnesium, Biotin.

Comment

Wow, I thought it was just me! I don't seem to have the muscular strength in that area to push anymore. I even take stool softeners every night, but they just don't seem to help. I do go every day, usually, but sometimes things just don't move along like they should; and trying to push, I can tell there's not enough muscular strength to do the job. Wonder if there's any type of "butt exercises" that would help.
                  Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
                  Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
                  Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

Wow

Im glad that someone else mentioned pt. I'm supposed to go, but felt kind of silly going to pt so I could poop. The only way I can go now is if my husband gives me an enema about twice a week. I guess I will schedule an appt with a pt now.
                    RRMS 10/2011 Sick and tired of being sick and tired!

Comment

To - mynamegoeshere1

Make sure you see a pt who specializes in the pelvic floor. A pt who does not specialize in these muscles may not help you. I had biofeedback as well, which helped me learn how to relax the pelvic floor. I didn't even realize I was tense and not relaxing when I was supposed too until she showed me on the computer!

It was very helpful training that I still practice everyday and I managed to increase strength, control and it also can help with incontinence. She did tell me that I did not present as a "normal" MS patient. The muscles of an MS patient typically have a distinct biofeedback pattern and mine did not.

Good luck and I hope it works for you!

Comment

THE SAME PROBLEM

GOT THE SAME PROBLEMS. CALL IT MY PUSHY MUSCLES. I'VE BEEN SELF CATHING FOR ABT 4 YRS CAUSE BADDER WASN'T EMPTYING AND BLADDER INFECTIONS WERE ABT ONCE A MONTH. PUSHY MUSCLES. NOW BM PROBLEMS. USE THE SAME METHOD AS OTHER BUT USE A GLOVE. 2 FIBER PILLS IN AM HELP A LOT. MY BM IS ALWAYS JUST BEFORE BED EVERYDAY. THE URGE IS THEN. IF THE URGE IS EARLIER I TRY GOING EARLIER CAUSE THE POOP DRIES OUT AND THE FINGER MAY HAVE A HARD TIME. I'VE JUST STARTED CARBIDOPA ALONG WITH ALL MY OTHER MUSCLE RELAXERS - SPASMS AND JERKS - AND THIS MED SEEMS TO MAKE ME MORE BULKED UP. MORE PUSHY MUSCLES AGAIN. I HAVE PPMS AND AM 65. HOPE MY "FINGERS" LAST THE REST OF MY LIFE. ONLY MY LEFT HAND WORKS, AND IT'S MY WRONG HAND. USE MIRALAX IF THINGS GET REALLY CLOGGED FOR SEVERAL DAYS. IN MY PRE MS DAYS I WOULD TAKE A WALK AND GOOD LUCK WOULD HAPPEN, BUT NOW I CAN'T WALK.

Comment

Update

Since my last post not too long ago, tonight, I am currently in the hospital due to my constipation issues. Because of the narcotics I take for cancer pain, my normal constipation issues got magnified. I thought was pretty stable MS wise lately until this last bout with constipation. Not only were my 'works' clogged like an old clay pipe, but the chemo drugs did a number of the sensitivity of that area. I tried for two days of the manual go-and-get-'em, but couldn't get anything to move.

I was told that since things are not moving like they once did, my muscles need a little help. (I am also fighting fatigue which didn't help) Docs are gonna help me tweak my bowel regimen after I get cleaned out to help prevent further episodes.

Not only am I excited for help, I am relieved that I am not alone in my all-consuming elimination. Let's face it, when your bowels get quirky, you can't think of much else. A misery that is as embarrassing, as it could be well, miserable. We are not alone, and we need to be more vocal to medical personnel that we need help.
                          The person who knows how to laugh at himself will never cease to be amused.

Comment

Originally posted by yelishia View Post
                            I have had ever worsening constipation since symptoms began 12 yrs ago. Now, I will go weeks with nothing coming out. When I push it feels like the muscles aren't working properly and I am numb there. I don't have any solutions but the one thing that helped was a herb called swedish bitters. The only way I can take this liquid is in of all things Ensure. Anyway, I used to have great success at times but now rare. It is so bad I actually remember the last good BM I had. I dream of the day when this won't be a problem. Oh, and I have also had my bowel decide to go on it's own too (in my sleep) and not diarehha so I haven't figured that one out.
                            Oh my gosh! The same thing happened to me! I cant "go" when I'm awake but one good dream about a BM and I Pooped my underwear! Not watery or anything. Luckily I was wearing a POISE pad so I just cleaned up, showered, and went to bed. You are NOT alone on that one!

Comment

Thanks Aussie!

Topics like this are the reason I find MS World so important!
                              I too have this s...Ty symptom!
                              Leslee

Comment

thank you!

This thread has turned out to be quite the gift for a lot of women. Thank you to the OP.

I had a lesion 4 years ago that was at C-2 and covered about 70% of my spine before it was done. I was not in good shape and nothing below my neck worked or felt right. Of all the hard and horrible things I had to deal with I think that my digestive system shutting down was the very worst.

I have the very same situation as many of you. I am full, I can feel the poop <blush> right there and it just won't come out!

I also have not been able to get a doctor to offer any helpful advice at all. It is hard for me to even say the word "poop". (my partner teases me about this a lot) And when I worked up the courage to bring it up and they offered nothing helpful...I just chalked it up to "something I had to deal with". That makes me so mad!

Thank you cougar mama for the helpful specifics. I will write those into my notes for the next neuro appointment.

I take something that I got from my accupuncturist called Pacha Mama. It has lot's of fiber in it, herbs for your digestive tract but it also has senna which is a stimulant. That is the only way that I can have a healthy bowel movement. But it works!

wow...I can't believe I just typed a whole message about...you know what!
                                Compassion, forgiveness, these are the real ultimate sources of power for peace and success in life.
                                Dalai Lama

Comment

Working...
                                X