got to get used to the assumptions!!!!smh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

got to get used to the assumptions!!!!smh

hey everyone....so i just had a situation for the first time with a super market manager coming up to me and telling me the power cart chair is just for the disabled and elderly....now i just calmly told him that i have multiple sclerosis and that you cant see it(i have touble with balance and gait). he looked me up and down and said ok and walked away. it just made me feel a ways being judged by my outward appearance(im a 31yr old female who's fashion sense is very well up to par might i add!lol). he thought i was just someone who wanted to use the chair and didnt really need it.

i called my dad later on to complain and he understood my feelings about it but gave me another way to look at it. he said well he was actually trying to help the people who really need it. i feel a little better now.lol...i also have gotten the "there's nothing wrong with you looks" when i park in a handicapped spot(i have my tag!) and wonder if its because i have a brand new car and they see a young whipper snapper as my dad would say!lol getting out(i walk pretty regular for about the first minute and a half.lol ..but has anyone experienced things like this

Years ago, when I could still do that, I received a number of accusations like that. One person left a note on my windshield threatening to turn me in if they ever saw me do that again. I guess if I knew who they were, I should have thanked them;lol

Comment

[QUOTE=jayjee;1336143]Years ago, when I could still do that, I received a number of accusations like that. One person left a note on my windshield threatening to turn me in if they ever saw me do that again. I guess if I knew who they were, I should have thanked them;lol[/QUi

i like that! i should thank people who do these things! some people are genuinely trying to help us out.

Comment

The people at my local Wal-mart have caught on, I think, to the fact that "something" is wrong with me. I have two kids, so when I go shopping I end up using the cart as a walker more often than not. Most of my weight ends up getting held by it.

And I think they've begun noticing, because when my cart starts looking full, someone inevitably asks if I need help getting everything out to my car. I've said no thank you so far, but I always smile at them.

If I didn't have the kids with me, it's very possible I'd break down and get the cart. Because after every grocery trip, I'm in serious pain.

Comment

Originally posted by Kraheera View Post
          The people at my local Wal-mart have caught on, I think, to the fact that "something" is wrong with me. I have two kids, so when I go shopping I end up using the cart as a walker more often than not. Most of my weight ends up getting held by it.

And I think they've begun noticing, because when my cart starts looking full, someone inevitably asks if I need help getting everything out to my car. I've said no thank you so far, but I always smile at them.

If I didn't have the kids with me, it's very possible I'd break down ad get the cart. Because after every grocery trip, I'm in serious pain.
          I know the feeling.....I. used to use that same technique!...but I can't even walk a minute until my leg starts dragging. Miss the walking around stores thing!lol

Comment

so it happened again the other day in the same supermarket. this time a customer sees me in the chair cart thingy and says to me oh your riding in a chair...is that yours or the stores because i didnt see them....i respond yeah there in the front, they have these for the disabled and elderly....he looks at me and says well im a doctor you have a disability...i reply(thinking then maybe he should know what it is) yes i have multiple sclerosis i have trouble walking....now im saying all of this with a smile thinking maybe hes really interested just for this jerk to pull out a camera and ask to take my picture while pointing it at me saying come on ill send it to you!!! omg!!! i dont even know this person!!! that upset me so much! i said no thats ok and just rolled away. people are just so judgemental and rude! he had his mind made up already just by looking at me that i shouldnt be riding ine that cart! am i wrong to be mad at that?!!!

Comment

Working...
            X