Upcoming Gyno appt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upcoming Gyno appt

I have been overdue for an regular 'annual type' gyno appt. Overdue since I have been been immobile; unable to walk or stand.

I have an appt coming up and am unsure how it will go. My husband can lift me on the table if I'm unable to transfer. But getting undressed and positioning will definitely be a challenge.

Any experiences or suggestions from others in a similar situation ?

thanks.

My GYN (a sweetheart of a woman who is my age) reserves the procedure room for me as it has a table that goes up and down via a remote control. It's much easier to access.

Let them know that you might need help changing into that lovely gown they make us wear , and also getting onto the exam table even if they are able to lower it. They pretty much have to go out of their way a bit to help the gimpy among us () due to the ADA. I know I don't enjoy asking for help, but I enjoy falling even less, so I go for the assistance.
    “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
    Diagnosed 1979

Comment

thanks jazzgirl !

unfortunately my only choice is to go for the assistance too - my concern is if the exam can even happen successfully, so tough

Comment

You'll do okay, bg. MOST doctors aren't completely clueless, and if they are their medical assistants close that gap. . They have to be in the room with the doc for the exam.

Call them beforehand with a heads-up about your needs so they can be ready for you. Let me know how you make out! Jan
        “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
        Diagnosed 1979

Comment

Hi Jan,
          Thanks for your input -
          I dreaded the appt for quite some time - went yesterday and it went well - I saw the a PA who was very helpful and compassionate. Went out of her way to make me comfortable, had an assistant help and used the procedure table as you mentioned that my husband lifted me on. She even said forget the gown - that she would work around my top for the breast exam portion.

Happy to have this one done.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by bluegiraffe View Post
            Hi Jan,
            Thanks for your input -
            I dreaded the appt for quite some time - went yesterday and it went well - I saw the a PA who was very helpful and compassionate. Went out of her way to make me comfortable, had an assistant help and used the procedure table as you mentioned that my husband lifted me on. She even said forget the gown - that she would work around my top for the breast exam portion.

I'm glad things went well.
            He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
            Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by bluegiraffe View Post
              Hi Jan,
              Thanks for your input -

You're very welcome! Glad it went well.
              Diagnosed 1979

Comment

exam table

My GYN has a table that folds down so you can transfer into it like an armchair. He puts my feet on the footrests, then by power it lays me down, lifts my legs (in the stirrups into position) and elevates. I don't walk and can barely stand to transfer w/help and it works well. You can ask the dr. office if they have a wheelchair accessible exam table. I don't think I could get on the regular table, even w/help. Good for you that you're getting a check-up.

Comment

Working...
                X