Touchy Issue That Needs An Answer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Touchy Issue That Needs An Answer.

So I'm 16, virgin and I haven't had my period since mid September or early October. Usually I'm disgusted by talking about this, but I'm starting to get worried. Because I've been having my period every two months, but this time around it seems like it might even stretch to three months. I'm on beta seron, would that have anything to do with it? Also I had very little spotting a few days ago.

Have you thought about calling your neurologist's office or even your regular doctor's office to ask the nurse if your irregular periods may be caused by your meds or if this is something you should be concerned about? They are usually very good about answering questions like this without your having to go in for an appointment.

It sounds as though it is not unusual for you to have irregular periods. One thing you may want to start doing (and something my gynocologist has me do) is to keep a calendar record of when you start and stop each period. That way, you can show your doctor any changes and you'll know more accurately when you last had a period.

Comment

You can also call the drug company and talk to them. I had to do that a few months ago and it really helped. They can give you some answers about side effects, what is normal, and what is not. I am sure that everything is fine. I also found this web site and it lists irregular menstral bleeding as a side effect.
      http://www.drugs.com/sfx/betaseron-side-effects.html
      Busy mom of 3 little red heads!!!
      Diagnosed RRMS - May 2005

Comment

Irregular periods are not unusual when your body is stressed or when you're on medications. Physical or mental stress, illness, or use of certain medications can interfere with your normal cycle. For example, I am 30, and I have had a regular cycle (seriously, like clockwork), and then I was on steroids for a bit, and I missed one cycle, then the next one was early and really short. I also missed a cycle once after a minor surgical procedure. My doctors in both instances assured me there was nothing to worry about, but that I should keep track of my next few cycles and let them know if they continued to be wonky.

I looked at the prescribing information for Betaseron (available at http://berlex.bayerhealthcare.com/ht...taseron_PI.pdf), and about 12% of people have menstrual irregularities while on Betaseron. So, this could be caused by your Betaseron, for sure.

I think it would be reasonable to call your PCP and let him or her know you're having this issue, and he or she can tell you when to get concerned. I know talking about your cycle can be pretty awkward, but it's good that you overcame that to post here, and you should feel comfortable talking to your doctors about it. It's just another part of your body that MS is (indirectly) making wonky!

I hope your cycle works itself out soon, chickennug, so you don't have to stress about it anymore. Also, Grants Pass? I used to live down in Talent! Beautiful, beautiful place to live.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the advice, I talked to my mom about it and she's going to call my doctor. Also I have a really good nurse that calls me once a month, so I'll probably give her a call.

Comment

I am glad you have people to talk to, especially your mom.
            M.
            A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
            Albert Einstein

Comment

That happens to me. I talked to my Copaxone nurse and my regular doctor, they both told me it was reported during the clinical trials. I'd bet it's the same case betaseron.
              "Happiness is a decision"- Michael J. Fox

Comment

Have you been on steroids? That can cause missed periods.

Comment

Working...
                X