Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Male Mind

The Male Mind vs. Multiple Sclerosis

Men are conditioned to see our physical prowess as a large portion of our personal value. Similar to how women often talk about feeling societal pressures to be a size 2 and look like Barbie. Likewise, men feel pressure to face every challenge and battle without expressing fear, pain, or concern. To display weakness is contrary to how we were raised, what we believe is manly and affront to our core being. Admitting illness is like giving up some of your power, your value, and your respect.

Let me try to explain a bit better.

Whether you loved or hated the Dallas Cowboys you probably admired Roger Staubach both on and off the field. He was a leader of men and a hero to a generation. He has all the credentials to drool over: Heisman Trophy Winner, Naval Academy Graduate, Vietnam Veteran, Super Bowl MVP, Pro Bowl Hall of Famer, and Successful Businessman.

Roger Staubach suffered almost two dozen concussions in the NFL and he got up and continued to play off more than a few of them.

As a young man, I wanted to be like Roger; I wanted to wear the uniform both military and football. I wanted to be quarterback. I wanted to throw the Hail Mary pass. I wanted to win the Super Bowl. If I got hurt I wanted to get up, dust off my pants and get back in the game just like Roger the Dodger did ... anything less would be unmanly.

Roger Staubach could be interchanged Willis Reed, Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, and Cal Ripken Jr. Think about these memories:
    • Willis Reed hobbling back onto the court to beat the Lakers
    • Michael Jordan icing his knees on the sidelines before making a game winning shot
    • Larry Bird laying pronate on the floor resting his bad back before knocking down a bank shot
    • Cal Ripken playing day in and day out for 17 seasons (2,632) games ill, injured or not

So many other greats are celebrated for their toughness: Walter Payton, Jim Brown, Dale Earnhardt, Richard Petty, Gordie Howe, Dick Butkus, Jim Thorpe, Lance Armstrong, Muhammad Ali, etc.

So boys grow up trying to emulate our heroes and those heroes tend to be men amongst men … little injuries were nothing to worry about. Roger Staubach referred to concussions as “dings” and that just isn’t enough to put a man down.

It isn’t just sports either; consider Hollywood heroes like Al Capone, God Father, the Terminator, the Fonz, Dirty Harry, Marlon Brando, John Wayne. Still not convinced? Go to the elementary school playground and the girls are pretending to be princesses and cats and the boys are pretending to be sports and action heroes.

To display weakness is contrary to how we were raised, what we believe is manly and affront to our core being. Admitting illness is like giving up some of your power, your value, and your respect. Like Muhammad Ali taunting Ernie Terrell with his “what’s my name” question as he pounded him into submission. No one wants to be Ernie Terrell, but facing MS is very similar to the male psyche.

Expressing emotions
    Generally, little boys are not encouraged to express their emotions. We are asked to “stuff” them as “real men” don’t cry. So we grow up suppressing our emotions, denying our fears and putting on a brave face. When confronted with something overwhelming we have no skills to handle it and no hammer will fix us.

Only Lou Gehrig showed men how to act/react … and he
    showed strength and not weakness. Of course, we never saw him struggle … we just hear his immortal words “Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth."

Women and doctors
    Historically, women have taken the lion’s share of parenting and caretaking. Women normally run the kids to medical appointments. Girls are also put into the system earlier than men with annual checkups and more milestones that require doctor’s care. Over this time, women build confidence in the medical system. Men tend to be more estranged with medical treatment so we seek it less often.
    If it wasn’t for my wife I would still not be getting medical care for half the stuff that I do. She loves me and “nudges” me to seek treatment when otherwise I wouldn’t be “whining” to a doctor about dings.

Childbirth is heralded as one of the most painful experiences. Women are lauded for it and men are mocked as being incapable of it. I see no need to go to a place where I am mocked or belittled … another reason not to go to the doctors. Research is starting to show that chemically men and women respond to pain differently with female hormones actively engaging in the pain suppression process.

Difference between doctors and mechanics
    Men will take cars to a mechanic with an expected result, but when going to the doctor there are seldom expected results for non-routine visits.

Mechanic: Left front tire is out of balance or the alignment needs adjusting. You are going to get identical estimates from virtually every mechanic. There is even a book that shows how much labor they should charge you for a particular job. This is a very black & white issue for us and easy to comprehend and control.

Broken Leg: This is a medical visit we will make because of the obvious need and black & white nature of the visit. Head over and get x-rays, get pain pills and a cast. In 2 months, the cast comes off and I can work back to being normal again. I can go to 100 doctors and basically get the identical diagnosis and treatment. The cast can even be something to brag about or be celebrated for if we broke the leg doing something “cool or manly.”

Multiple Sclerosis: The doctor is "practicing" medicine without a real blueprint for resolution. They will try this or that, but the results are completely unpredictable. If I go to 10 doctors I am apt to get 10 different diagnosis or treatment plans. I have no reason to trust someone that appears to be guessing. I wouldn’t let a mechanic guess on my car and I do not want a doctor guessing with my health. This isn't the black & white world I want to live in.

The opposite tends to be true for women. Women normally dread going to the mechanic for fear of being ripped off or belittled. Women will often build a bond of trust bond with their physicians similar to a guy with a reliable mechanic. Men will seldom build this level of trust with a physician because medical science just isn’t as exacting as adjust the timing on a car.

The male mind
    The thought of not being able to provide or protect our family can be mentally debilitating. The diagnosis may render us incapable of expressing or feeling … being mentally, physically and/or emotionally overwhelmed we basically shut down as a survival tactic.

A comparison that may help women better understand a man with a chronic illness is being declared infertile. Some women dream from an early age about being a mother and now that is not going to happen. Men have a desire to be providers (hunter/gatherers) and when that may not happen … it can be core shattering.
    We may begin to doubt our own value with questions:

• How can I respect myself when I am a broken shell of my former self?

• How can you possibly love me when I cannot even respect myself?

• What value do I have left?

I don't know if this resonated with you, but it's how I see so many guys struggling with multiple sclerosis.

Hi Marco,

Ambitious posting.

One size doesn't fit all. Responses to your thread will point this out. The picture you paint is stereotypical but...

To a degree we (Male is all I can address) may see ourselves in what you wrote. Bring MS into the picture, and the questions you raise certainly came into my mind.

But they were dismissed. As I believe you dismiss them.

They hinder rather than help. They focus on past or future not on the present.

It is important to realize that the mind is more important than the body.

Disposition more important than circumstances.

As to the question of Value.... accept and be content with what is yours, even the MS. Only the foolish are dissatisfied with themselves (and I don't think you're foolish Marco!).

Thank you for your observations!

Jer

Comment

Gratitude

Thank you, Marco, for your eloquent statement. It is valuable for all men and for all of us who love them.
      Stay lifted,
      Mermaid
      "Life is short, and we have but little time to gladden the hearts of those who travel with us; so let us be swift to love, and make haste to be kind."

-Henri Amiel

Comment

Marco,

I have to say that your post resonated with me. Especially the last part where you ask:

I was on my way to a career in music when I got hit my MS. I do feel like a broken shell of my former self. Several times I have asked myself, if your hands are messed up and your head is messed up, what can you really do in this world? What value do you still retain in my own life?

I’ve been in therapy for a couple of years, and it’s made a huge difference for me. Through that process, I discovered that what I have experienced along with all that is lost, represents a traumatic wound. It’s also a spiritual wound. These things are not unlike the PTSD that a combat veteran can face, because they challenge one’s understanding of basic things, like the nature of safety, the value and purpose of hope and suffering, the value one feels for life, one’s sense of death and a higher power. Most, if not all of these basic ideas are questioned when one is faced with something overwhelming, and a chronic disease can be just such a thing. And the only way out is through.

Comment

Marco -
          Truly a well thought out and compassionate message. Thank you - I'm a female but your words are understandable no matter what sex.
          This music is the glue of the world Mark. It's what holds it all together. Without this, life would be meaningless

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
            Hi Marco,

Ambitious posting.

One size doesn't fit all. Responses to your thread will point this out. The picture you paint is stereotypical but...

To a degree we (Male is all I can address) may see ourselves in what you wrote. Bring MS into the picture, and the questions you raise certainly came into my mind.

But they were dismissed. As I believe you dismiss them.

They hinder rather than help. They focus on past or future not on the present.

It is important to realize that the mind is more important than the body.

Disposition more important than circumstances.

As to the question of Value.... accept and be content with what is yours, even the MS. Only the foolish are dissatisfied with themselves (and I don't think you're foolish Marco!).

Thank you for your observations!

Jer
            Wow, sir you have a very keen grasp of the situation. To me, the worst part of the whole MS situation is being helpless to assist others. I feel useless in most situations because of my inability to help.

The physical and the mental are tightly intertwined. We get strength from a strong positive mind. We are pulled down by doubt and depression. Trust me, I'm on the down side, and it is really killing me.-MIKE
            Dream like you will live forever, Live like you will die today.

Comment

How can I respect myself when I am a broken shell of my former self?
              I have read your post over many times, and sat here and wondered if I should respond to it or not, Though I can understand some of your points the ones I attached above are what don't sit right with me personally.

I myself do not feel as I have lost any respect in myself or from anyone else and can't my head around how you have the feeling that you have. To me losing respect would be caused by something that I had willingly and knowingly done to bring discredit upon myself. By me having MS I have not done so, its not something you can prevent or caused by anything I have done (at least by the information available today), I have had cancer, should I therefore feel I have lost any respect I had from that also?

Yes it may be true that we have lost the ability to do some things, possibly need help with others but in my opinion that is no reason to lose respect in yourself or from others.

The question of what value you have left is interesting in that you have posted a rather long and thought provoking post and have made people think about thier lives, so therefore you have value, maybe not physical power but you still have your mind and mental abilities to help others and possibly at a level and insight better than those that do not have an incurable disease.

Here again I have found that having MS and the cancer has actually made me a stronger person, my oldest daughter has said that she has been impressed with how I have handled it all and will have a new outlook when things get tough in her life. That tells me that I have actually gained respect rather than losing it, I'm sure that others will disagree with me on this and as I have said it is just my opinion.
              Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

Originally posted by Marco View Post

That is a tough puzzle.

I have never been outstanding in any way accept for my stamina. I could always work a little faster a little longer than most. And I always had a very quick mind. Was a quick study and very observant.

Since MS I no longer have these powers and I find it difficult to accept my new limitations.

To say it is a blow to the ego would be a major understatment.

I eat right,exercise,read self-help books,try to keep a positive attitude, etc....But in the end I still struggle to accept the idea that I cannot come back from this.

Nothing in this world is worse for a man than a problem we can't fix or walk away from.
                It leaves a very strong feeling of frusteration to have a problem that is out of our hands but has no escape.

I am still a man. Just not the man I expect myself to be.

I can relate to the struggle.

Comment

Beautifully put

Marco,

I have to agree with you. I'm not a stereotypical male, but did find myself getting pretty upset when my wife started taking care of the yard. I know she had the best intentions, but that was always "my little piece of heaven"; my place that I could relax, unwind, and think. I talked to a good friend and neighbor of mine, and he understood. I'm glad I wasn't alone. Luckily, I have a wonderful wife who treats me better than I deserve, and is very understanding.
                  Dx'd 08/2010 RRMS
                  Rebif, Copaxone, Gilenya, Tecfidera
                  "Fall down 7 times, get up 8"

Comment

remember now, Boys don't cry, thats what we were told in the 50's and 60's.mark
                    DX's,MS,1/8/04
                    copaxone

Comment

Interesting thread. I've found it best for me not to be too introspective during the down times. Depression can sneak up on a person and really cut deep. I've had MS since 96 and I've had every emotion mentioned at different points of the journey. I've been angry, I've been sad, I've been happy, I've laughed, and I've cried. I've watched love grow and I have watched it die. Friends change, relationships change, and so on but as people leave your life, new ones come in. Shoot, as I write this, I'm reminded of the song " sounds like life to me".

I don't do things like I used to but I still do what I can. I'm alive and if you are alive, there is still hope. Yeah some of that hope is for a cure but but just as much is hope for the ability to meet each day's challenges and not give up. We each have two choices. We can crawl under a rock and give in to the monster or we can play the hand we are dealt. I am staying in the game and I hope each of you do too!

Don

Comment

The fear of not being able to sustain my family is the one that sometimes makes me feel like my body is broken I am no longer of any use aside from an emotional point of view.

Comment

Originally posted by Scooter24 View Post
                          I have read your post over many times, and sat here and wondered if I should respond to it or not, Though I can understand some of your points the ones I attached above are what don't sit right with me personally.

I myself do not feel as I have lost any respect in myself or from anyone else and can't my head around how you have the feeling that you have. To me losing respect would be caused by something that I had willingly and knowingly done to bring discredit upon myself. By me having MS I have not done so, its not something you can prevent or caused by anything I have done (at least by the information available today), I have had cancer, should I therefore feel I have lost any respect I had from that also?

Yes it may be true that we have lost the ability to do some things, possibly need help with others but in my opinion that is no reason to lose respect in yourself or from others.

The question of what value you have left is interesting in that you have posted a rather long and thought provoking post and have made people think about thier lives, so therefore you have value, maybe not physical power but you still have your mind and mental abilities to help others and possibly at a level and insight better than those that do not have an incurable disease.

Here again I have found that having MS and the cancer has actually made me a stronger person, my oldest daughter has said that she has been impressed with how I have handled it all and will have a new outlook when things get tough in her life. That tells me that I have actually gained respect rather than losing it, I'm sure that others will disagree with me on this and as I have said it is just my opinion.
                          I get the three questions quoted above. The first year of this disease for me was the worst, and I still struggle with these questions. Should I? No, however that simple answer of no doesn't change my psyche.

I was raised to be a provider, I was on my way up the corporate ladder at 23 years old when I was hit with MS. I was able to work for 5 months after my diagnosis and haven't worked since August 4th 2010.

How can I be a provider for a family when I am currently unable to work. How can I be worth anything to someone when I'm not worth anything to myself.

How can I create a family when I feel like my only option in the bedroom area is to lay there and have her do all the work. How am I not supposed to feel like an inadequate man? I mean, don't get me wrong, I know I shouldn't, but that doesn't make it so.

This is a new relationship for me, and she has been with me through a lot already. We met each other in September of 2010 and started dating August 29th 2011, so she knows what I've been through, and she knows things aren't going to be easy, so I know shes here to stick it out with me, but that doesn't make me feel OK about not being the man I dreamed about. I admire anyone who is battling this disease and haven't lost respect for themselves or asked themselves what value do they hold, however you have to remember this is a very person specific disease, you may think "how can they feel this way, they still wake up everyday and are alive", but being "alive" and feeling "alive" are two different things.

You may not have had to ask or answer those questions for yourself, and props to you, but many of us do ask ourselves these questions on a nearly constant basis.
                          Diagnosed 3/3/2010 with Multiple Sclerosis

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks for sharing this with someone who has started a relationship with someone with ms. In the beginning things were great but since then he has had a flare. I am very tender-hearted and caring. I am someone who loves to help people. The problem is during these flares apparently he doesn't want to be around me or anyone. I felt as if he was pushing me away even though he says he loves me and I am the best thing that has ever happened to him. Your post has explained a lot of things to me that I didn't know or understand. I am very open and a people person, he is very guarded and quiet, so it is hard to get him to explain to me. I just feel so helpless because I am use to being the care giver. My husband died at 39, 12 years ago from cancer. MS is just so hard. I have so much to learn. Where there is love there is always a way....right? I'm praying so!

Comment

My boyfriend has MS but that is only one part of him. I cannot think of a man that could treat me any better physically, emotionally and spiritually. Everyone has issues, health related or otherwise. Partners need to help and support one another with these issues and challenges. In regards to MS, the thing that would hurt me the most is finding out my boyfriend would not be able to have kids. Truthfully that would be devastating but it would not stop me from finding another way for us to become parents. You are not MS, MS is only one part of you!

Comment

Working...
                              X