UTI questions, please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UTI questions, please help!

Okay, so the week of the 24th, I got a UTI. On Monday, I could start feeling the MS symptoms creeping up, and by Wednesday night (unfortunately hubby's b-day) it felt like a full flare. So I decided to check with my pcp and make sure I didn't have a UTI. Well, the results were mixed. I had frequent urination, but I'd been having that. There were leukocytes in my urine, but nothing else, so they sent it to be cultured. The culture ended up being contaminated.

I began to think it was both UTI and flare early on - because it was termed a "slight" UTI, and my MS symptoms weren't getting better - although after about 5 days some of them started to.

The day after my antibiotics stopped, I actually got a UTI symptom - discomfort after urinating. I wouldn't say burning, I wouldn't even say pain. But it wasn't comfortable. So back to the doctor I go. Again, leukocytes only in the urine, sent it in for culture. She put me on a different med this time, Bactrim rather than Macrobid. The MS symptoms are back, and aren't getting any better. I get a call yesterday - there's no bacteria from the culture. Most of the urinary symptoms I'm having right now are the same symptoms I had for weeks before the UTI - hesitancy, going without much coming out, etc.

I put in a call to my doctor, and she says I could have a neurogenic bladder, and need some medication for that. And as far as the MS symptoms, she's going to talk to the doctor and see if she wants to see me.
    Diagnosis: May, 2008
    Avonex, Copaxone, Tysabri starting 8/17/11

You've done all the right things, checking for UTI's. Not sure what you generally do for your flares, whether you have steroid treatments or wait it out.

Many of us get some relief from urogenic bladder with magnesium supplements. They seem to calm the bladder. I take 400 mg. before bed. Others take more throughout the day too.

I also periodically take D-mannose, a powder supplement that seems to calm my bladder symptoms.

I don't take medication for urogenic bladder at this time. Symptoms come and go. Many of us are under the care of a urologist.

Hope this info helps and that you get this flare calmed down!

Comment

Cranberry juice

Try drinking that. Won't help a neorogenic bladder but will on UTIs.
      techie
      Another pirated saying:
      Half of life is if.
      When today is bad, tomorrow is generally a better day.
      Dogs Rule!

Comment

Yeah, my old pcp had sent me to a urologist too see if I had any bladder problems at that time....I imagine I will end up having to see him again.

I've done the oral steroid bit before....and with the new symptoms (muscle spasm down my left side making my side weaker), I would almost prefer to get oral steroids rather than riding it out. Of course, when I was on the phone with the nurse coordinator, I forgot to tell her half of my symptoms, so I'm going to have to call first thing in the morning.

I just hope I get an answer tomorrow....I'm supposed to have a Tysabri infusion Wednesday, and I'm sure this is going to interfere with it.

Comment

I have frequent UTIs and my neurologist suggested I take vitamin C and cranberry tablets, two each per day. I have had multiple urological work-ups, and have neurogenic bladder, but my urologists had not suggested the cranberry/vit c. However, since starting that I've had far fewer UTIs.

It can be hard to tell UTI from MS/bladder stuff, and the urine culture are not always 100% accurate. You can have a UTI and some contamination. Or if I am on suppressive antibiotics (daily low dose macrodantin), the culture can be "negative" when I actually have a UTI.

Comment

I am diabetic And I get UTI sx when the only problem is sugar in my urine . Weird huh ? I have a UTI myself right now as I have honeymooners disorder . My husband is an over the road trucker .

I'm in the middle of a mild flare dxed by neuro I go for MRI monday the 12th sept.I'm afraid what's been a mild flare will amp up because of UTI .Is that possible ?

Hope all are well today .

Tammy
            A friend hears the song in my heart and sings it to me when my memory fails .
            (unknown)

Comment

The UTI won't cause the flare to worsen, but it will cause your symptoms to worsen, if that makes sense. You will still be in a mild flare, but your symptoms may seem much worse. Usually after three days of antibiotics (I've not had one go into my kidneys yet) the MS symptoms die down, except for this time - but I had a flare with my UTI. Still have the flare. I just hope this one is a short one - my last one was six weeks. So far this one is at three weeks.

Comment

Spydre - please be sure to get checked out by a urologist.

Another condition that mimics UTIs is Interstitial Cystitis (IC). Feels like a UTI, but test results come back with little or no bacteria.

I got my IC diganosis about 11 months after my MS diagnosis - glad my doctor was willing to look further and not just blame it on the MS.

Please take note that Vitamin C and cranberry are very bad for most people with IC as they cause additional irritation.

Good luck and I hope they figure out what it is.

Comment

Thank you, cosake.

Comment

Working...
                  X