This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That time of the month

Does anyone else out there seem to have their symtoms worse around their period? I feel it coming on and oy vay look out! Over the last few months with warmer (then hot) weather, I have REALLY noticed it. Mood swings worse, pain and fatigue worse. Fog brain... all worse few days before up to last day. I am on bc pills for bad periods (finding what I am on has estriol in it similar to the studies being done about the pregnancy hormone and MS) and Rebif.

This thread will help answer your questions:
    http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=109712
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Originally posted by Blondeplex View Post
      Does anyone else out there seem to have their symtoms worse around their period? I feel it coming on and oy vay look out! Over the last few months with warmer (then hot) weather, I have REALLY noticed it. Mood swings worse, pain and fatigue worse. Fog brain... all worse few days before up to last day. I am on bc pills for bad periods (finding what I am on has estriol in it similar to the studies being done about the pregnancy hormone and MS) and Rebif.
      Oh my YES, YES... but not sure if its due to MS stuff.. I have pretty bad Peri-menopause. I am 51 years young and going through the change - no hot flashes but everything else.

Was diagnosis with "mild" MS Feb 2011 but not convinced I have it.. not on any medication.

Jay

Comment

[QUOTE=Blondeplex;1306891]Does anyone else out there seem to have their symtoms worse around their period? I feel it coming on and oy vay look out! Over the last few months with warmer (then hot) weather, I have REALLY noticed it. Mood swings worse, pain and fatigue worse. Fog brain... all worse few days before up to last day. QUOTE]

I feel your pain. I was just diagnosed last month but for the last year or so it has been pretty bad. When i had my relapse (of course i didn't know that was what it was at the time) it was even worse than normal. It got to the point i missed a few days of work because of the cramps being so bad. It made the muscle spasms i've been having in my back so bad i couldn't move my head left or right.

At my last neuro visit i asked him about birth control and if it would be okay with the Capoxone i will be starting soon. He said it wouldn't interfere so i have concluded that i will be going on a birth control that you only get your period a couple times a year. I was on it when i was in college and it worked pretty well. I'm hoping that will help.

Good luck to you. I hope you find some relief.
        Heather

Comment

I have endometriosis so my periods are already bad. I am supposed to get an IUD but everything I read says that you have to let doctors know if you have an IUD before you get MRIs so I guess that is something I need to talk to my Neuro about. Hang in there!

Comment

I always had heavy bleeding randomly, I had no set cycle. I haven't cycled (gotten my period) in around 3 years because I am on birth control. I do not take the placebo pills, just the ones with hormones. Its absolutely AMAZING not having to deal with it! Both my neuro and GYN said it was ok, and since I do not want to have kids, is the best option for me. You might ask your doc about doing the same thing!
            Rae Roy

Comment

Yes!! for about 3 years my periods were really heavy,but for the past few years they have slowed wayyyy down,and more painful then ever!!! I have to see a gyno in a few weeks do to my pap came back that I have HPV in my cervix. This month my period only lasted for 2 days. That is not good for me,at the least they last 5 days.
              RRMS-2007-2012
              SPMS-2012
              Copaxone Feb,2007- 2008
              currently on Rebif

Comment

Yes, yes, and yes

Speaking for myself, absolutely- the whole cycle is much worse. A few months ago, this question was posed by someone else. My responce was, affirmative. There were multiple posts informing the initial poster, and me, that we were [I]wrong.
                Here's the thing, you know your body better than ANYONE; and you know if there is a connection sweetie-- truly, no one else can tell you yay or nay.
                The disease is so complex and unpredictable, that there are simply no absolutes.
                You're not alone in this-- knowing I wasn't the only 1, was and is helpful. Good Luck and hang in there. Be Well...
                Shalom,
                Suz
                You never fail, until you stop trying__Albert Einstein

Comment

Just in case there is any confusion:

Hormonal fluctuations (ovulation, menses) can cause a temporary increase of MS symptoms.

MS does not cause menstural cycles to be lighter, heavier, missed periods, early menopause, more/worse cramping. Medications, such as the Disease Modifying Drugs can cause those problems.

There are many PMS symptoms that are similar to MS symptoms ( fatigue, pain, concentration/memory).

Information about PMS and it's symptoms:
                  http://women.webmd.com/pms/premenstr...e-pms-symptoms

Just because we have MS does not mean everything we experience is MS related
                  Diagnosed 1984
                  “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Not confused...

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
                    Just in case there is any confusion:

Hormonal fluctuations (ovulation, menses) can cause a temporary increase of MS symptoms.
                    Just because we have MS does not mean everything we experience is MS related
                    With all due respect, I find this post to be patronizing- the implication that b/c, for some, there is the belief that their menstral cycles are worse post ms, means "everything we experience is ms related."

I did not, nor did anyone else, say pxs associated w/ms and mens cycle were PERMANENT, as opposed to "temporary."

I am educated and aware of the web site, journal articles, etc. I will reiterate: I can only speak for myself, and I stand by my previous post. There are so few absolutes with this disease; and due to the countless different ways it's experienced, it is illogical to inform another living with ms, that she is "wrong."
                    You never fail, until you stop trying__Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Imagine View Post
                      I did not, nor did anyone else, say pxs associated w/ms and mens cycle were PERMANENT, as opposed to "temporary."
                      The reason I stated MS symptoms, due to hormonal fluctuations are Temporary not permanent is because some believe, think, feel they are having a relapse. It's not a relpase, it's simply a temporary increase in symptoms.
                      Diagnosed 1984

Comment

I think there is some confusion in this thread, as it appears that posters are talking about two different issues.

Some posters are saying that their menstrual symptoms are worse post-MS diagnosis.

Other posters are saying that their MS symptoms are worse during their period.

It sounds to me like the OP was asking about worsening MS symptoms during their period ?

Comment

Originally posted by cosake View Post
                          I think there is some confusion in this thread, as it appears that posters are talking about two different issues.

Some posters are saying that their menstrual symptoms are worse post-MS diagnosis.

Other posters are saying that their MS symptoms are worse during their period.

It sounds to me like the OP was asking about worsening MS symptoms during their period ?
                          I had the same thoughts and the reason for post #9 but apparently that caused a problem

Problems with menstrual cycles (stopping, light/heavy, cramping, ect) are not related to the disease.

Problems with an increase of MS symptoms due to ovulation/menstrual can be related to the disease and is normal for many women.
                          Diagnosed 1984

Comment

Originally posted by Imagine View Post
                            I never used the word permanent in post # 9
                            Diagnosed 1984

Comment

Working...
                            X