Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Birth Control Pill and MS (thinking about going off)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Birth Control Pill and MS (thinking about going off)

Hi,

I don't think there is any definite answer to this but I was hoping for some thoughts from the group. I know over the years there has been alot of research into hormones and MS, especially during pregnancy.

My old neuro years back said he thought that the pill was a good idea for women with MS because it regulates our hormones. He thought that was something that needed study but had seen patients that seemed to stay fairly stable. Also it does seem that menopause may worsen symptoms.

So, at 46 with high blood pressure my GP would like me to stop taking the pill. I'm wondering if anyone has done this and seen any change in their MS symptoms.

I appreciate your feedback!

Thanks

Laurie

Hi Laurie
    Im sorry I cant tell you how it is to go off, Im fairly new (six months) at taking seasonique to control ms and hormonal migraines. Its like magic I love it!

(Im 46 too)

I fear if my previously fine cholesterol or bp changes Im going to have to face what you are.

Keep me posted how it goes.

Follow your instincts best as you can.

Comment

I've been off of BC for a number of years now and am doing OK.
      And, I'm your age too.
      There is nothing specific I can tell has changed.

I worry about getting older and how hormones levels affect the disease.

Copaxone has been part of my routine for a long time, too. This wasn't available years ago, so I am hoping that long term, a DMT (Disease Modifying Therapy) will help as we all get older.

Comment

When I spoke with gyn about the studies going on about Estriol (pregnancy hormone research is going on about effects in MS women) he said what is in mine is similar to give the effect of pregnancy on the body to not release an egg. So as far as that goes, I descided to stay on it (plus my periods were painful). I would say have a serious discussion with your GYN about it and the effects he/she has seen with women over 40 and the pill, risks, etc. Maybe going on a non-synthetic form of estriol would be a way to go?

Good luck!

Comment

mexigrl,

I have gone off and on the pill a couple of times with no affect on the MS. After my 2nd child I had my tubes tied and saw no reason to use birth control, again no problems with the MS.

A few years ago I was put on continous BC to stop my periods. I felt good physically but had problems with depression, suicidal thoughts and an increase in my blood pressure...all due to the Pill. Needless to say, I stopped using BC. I was about your age at the time.
          Diagnosed 1984
          “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

more experiences please!

I've been on the Pill for decades and wondered if it helped slow my progression. My gyn and neuro both said this: the Pill is not the same kind of estrogen that might help with MS. It's not estriol. I'm the first to admit I know nothing, but it made me want to go on an estriol study! (To which the neuro said, "Yeah, but the problem is that kind of estrogen also has a high rate of causing certain kinds of cancer." Booooo.)

Comment

Working...
            X